Coding the i3

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello
I own a bmw i3 from usa from europe in 2017 year. I would like to change the language from English to Polish. Can you help me how to do this in bimmercode?

Newbie coder.
I want to disable the warning gong that sounds when one or more of the rear parking sensors triggers.
Is this possible?
How do I go about it?

Trying to find the seatbelt off gong using esys on a 2019 120Ah

Page 36 Of this thread did discuss this but i can not see it in the folder location indicated, what am i doing wrong ?

Have coded other items with esys, so not a complete noob ;)

I can't find any information on this... can I code my car for TJA without the quidzel dongle? Or will it throw a bunch of errors/not work? I know the dongle emulates a steering wheel touch. Just wondering what happens if I don't get it. I have a shop that will code it for much less than the dongle costs.

Anyone own a 2017 i3 REx and tried to extend the gas tank?

I know, the 2017 models already use the entire tank. In my haste to code my i3, i turned on this feature and i believe it reversed it so it is now limited to 1.9gal. I am not able to reverse the setting. It is greyed out.

I have emailed Bimmercode and am waiting for their answer. Hopefully i will get an answer and will create a new thread to warn other 2017 and newer owners who happen to make the same mistake as i did.

Using Bimmercode to increase gas tank usage on a 2017 i3 REx..........figured out my mistake and will post as a new topic.

I believe that the accuracy of an i3's speedometer can be coded to so that the speedometer will display the actual speed rather than default several percent more than the actual speed. However, an Internet search hasn't turned up how to do this on an i3. If you know how, please post your method.

alohart said:
I believe that the accuracy of an i3's speedometer can be coded to so that the speedometer will display the actual speed rather than default several percent more than the actual speed. However, an Internet search hasn't turned up how to do this on an i3. If you know how, please post your method.
Setting 3000->BC_V_KORREKTUR in the KOMBI module to nicht_aktiv didn't seem to eliminate the speedometer speed correction as I had hoped. Makes sense because the i3 doesn't have a digital speedometer in its board computer. Still looking for the change I need to make to eliminate the correction factor.

BimmerCode supports a road edge warning setting in the KAFAS module. Our i3 has as KAFAS camera, so I changed the value of the road edge warning from not active to grass and curb stone. I drove with ACC on near road edges but saw no road edge warning. How is this supposed to work? Does the i3 not support a road edge warning?

All I wanted is to configure the "SET" button on steering wheel as LIM function (speed limiter) on my i3.
could you guide me how to do this? or do it for me for a price or beers?
thanks.

Is there a comprehensive list of the things that people have coded and the Bimmercode menu options for each? I have coded a few things on my i3 but am looking for other ideas of successful codes. I use AlphaOBD on my Ram truck and there is a nice list available on one of the forums for those options, which is very handy and informative. Would love to see something similar for Bimmercode and the i3. I'm sure that if I was to read all 38 pages of this thread I would glean some great info, but wondering if there is a "cheat sheet" before I start that undertaking. :D

For example, I have heard that there is a coding value to make the clock auto-set the time from the GPS, but after spending considerable time perusing the Bimmercode menu options I was unable to find anything.

I had some time to kill tonight so decided to start reading posts to this thread backwards, starting with newest first, and to my surprise, found the answer to my question about setting the clock to auto-correct via GPS was only 1 page in. Post 519. Will give this a try tomorrow.

Would still like to know if there is a cheat sheet of i3 appropriate coding somewhere though.

Just thought I'd post a quick update. I had coded my car to automatically set the clock and today, with the time going back from daylight savings to standard time, was the first real test. Glad to say that it passed! The clock made the switch automatically.

Mine did also. I had a no-contact pick-up at the supermarket set for 7 am. My Lenovo alarm clock, my phone, and the I3 all changed time perfectly.

Fisher99 said:
I had some time to kill tonight so decided to start reading posts to this thread backwards, starting with newest first, and to my surprise, found the answer to my question about setting the clock to auto-correct via GPS was only 1 page in. Post 519. Will give this a try tomorrow.

Would still like to know if there is a cheat sheet of i3 appropriate coding somewhere though.

See the coding spreadsheet link in my signature. There are one or two additional URLs inside the sheet.

websterize said:
Fisher99 said:

See the coding spreadsheet link in my signature. There are one or two additional URLs inside the sheet.

Nice! Thanks.

Our 2019 BEV just had a service action performed that involved updating its original November, 2018, system software to the November, 2022 version. As expected almost all of my coding changes were overwritten. However, I had kept records of the changes that I had made and reapplied all of these changes.

All custom behaviors seem to have been restored. However, a new, undesirable behavior now occurs: the side mirrors unfold when the doors are unlocked either with the fob or using Comfort Access. This didn't happen prior to this system software update and is undesirable behavior because our apartment garage parking space is between 2 tightly-spaced columns that could easily damage the side mirrors if they are unfolded. I always manually fold the side mirrors while parking. I must now remember to fold the mirrors before backing out of our parking space because they unfolded when I unlocked the doors. I would rather not have to remember. I have coded the side mirrors to unfold automatically when my speed exceeds 5 km/h, so that works well.

I have been unable to figure out what coding change(s) I need to make to prevent the side mirrors from unfolding when the doors are unlocked. I have coded them to fold when locking using Comfort Access and want to maintain that behavior.

I would very much appreciate any suggestions that you have.

alohart said:
I have been unable to figure out what coding change(s) I need to make to prevent the side mirrors from unfolding when the doors are unlocked. I have coded them to fold when locking using Comfort Access and want to maintain that behavior.

Just to confirm-- is your desired setup the same as what you had before? Specifically, I'm wondering if BMW tied "Lock=fold and Unlock=unfold" as a single option instead of "Lock=fold" and "Unlock=unfold" as discrete settings. If you already had it the way you want it now, they must be discrete.

If you took a backup in Bimmercode prior to the update, I wonder if there is a way to compare that to your current settings...

3pete said:
Just to confirm-- is your desired setup the same as what you had before?
Yes. Side mirrors fold when the doors are locked but don't unfold when the doors are unlocked. That worked on our 2014 and 2019 i3's until my recent update to the November, 2022, system software.

3pete said:
Specifically, I'm wondering if BMW tied "Lock=fold and Unlock=unfold" as a single option instead of "Lock=fold" and "Unlock=unfold" as discrete settings. If you already had it the way you want it now, they must be discrete.
That's certainly a possibility. The behavior I prefer likely isn't a very popular behavior, so it might make sense to combine folding and unfolding into a single parameter.

In the body domain controller (BDC), this causes the side mirrors to fold when the doors are locked using Comfort Access:

3056->KOMFORTSCHLIESSUNG_PA: set to active

Komfortschließung translates as "comfort closing". But what's "PA"? realoem.com describes a side mirror as an "outside mirror" (Außenspiegel). I don't see any association with "PA".

There is also 3056->KOMFORTSCHLIESSUNG_FB which I believe controls the closing of the windows when the doors are locked. I don't know what "FB" means. Window is "Fenster" which at least has the same first letter as "FB".

3056->KOMFORTOEFFNUNG_FB might control the opening of the windows when the doors are unlocked. But I can't find 3056->KOMFORTOEFFNUNG_PA which might control the opening of the mirrors when the doors are unlocked.

I will continue my search and maybe ask the BimmerCode developer for help.

3pete said:
If you took a backup in Bimmercode prior to the update, I wonder if there is a way to compare that to your current settings...
BimmerCode did make a backups of my previous settings. I could try to restore the settings to the most recent backup prior to the recent software update. However, I'm concerned that the backups might be valid only with the same BDC software version (i.e., if the software has been updated, backups of previous versions would be invalid). I know that with E-sys, a compatible PSdZ data file must be included. It seems like this PSdZ data file contains mappings of the coding parameters to positions within a data structure which change with each system software update. However, all of this is beyond my knowledge, so I'm just trying to be careful not to mess something up.

Back