Troubleshooting "drivetrain issue" error

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ehcorn

I've got some error codes that keep coming up. I had a "Drivetrain error, okay to keep driving, but book a service appointment" so I fired up bimercode, pulled all my error files, cleared my codes, and these keep coming up (after I replaced the aged 12v battery using the new battery registration procesdure)

Battery Management Electronics
2 errors
21F0E3: INSULATION MONITORING - INSULATION FAULT IN THE ENTIRE SYSTEM
(CLOSED CONTACTORS)
21F0E4: INSULATION MONITORING - INSULATION WARNING IN THE ENTIRE SYSTEM
(CLOSED CONTACTORS)
Electrical Machine Electronics
2 errors
22280F: HV POWER MANAGEMENT: HV BATTERY, INSULATION FAULT
222814: HV POWER MANAGEMENT: HV BATTERY, INSULATION WARNING

Is this a serious problem? I found some previous posts giving more information on it but not really any more than that, how to fix it, or if I should be worried about this. Previous posts seem to indicate either damaged cables, or moisture, eh?

Been in really wet areas? I seem to remember a posters that had similar errors after heavy rains, driving through standing water, that went away when the car 'dried-out'. They had a REx, and running the REx engine for 20-30 minutes seemed to help the drying out process.

Failing that, have read that persistent moisture in the cable connections that won't go away requires changing out the HV cables.

I bought it from a guy who lives in one of the wettest cities in Canada, and we're having an abnormally wet spring, we also park on my lawn since my charge cable doesn't reach far enough, so yes to all I guess. Is it safe to wait and see if it'll dry out? Once our rainy season ends in a few weeks we hardly get any rain and can see temps north of 40 degrees C so drying the car out shouldn't be an issue, but it could be a month or two before that happens.

MOisture can promote corrosion. Don't know enough specifics on the i3's systems to say whether this is something that needs to be dealt with or it could wait. I know on servicing some other high voltage devices while I was in the military, they often used some special grease on connectors to help keep things dry. Today's better plastics probably can make suitable seals that may not require that sort of thing.

Is there somewhere that would show me where these connectors are so I can try drying them out?

Hallo daar,

Ik heb met mijn bmw i3 dezelfde storing op de aandrijflijn gehad. De dealer kreeg heel veel storingsmeldingen waardoor veel verwarring ontstond en een mogelijk schade. Besloten werd te een logische volgorde in aanpak te kiezen. De melding - te weinig issolatie en ac compressor- werden na overleg met bmw germany als belangerijkste veroorzaker genalyseerd.

Mijn analyse:

De kapotte high voltage hoofdkabel was de veroorzaker en gaf daardoor een overkill krachtstroom aan de compresor die daarop werd opgeblazen.

Conclusie:

De kapotte high voltage kabel en daarop het opblazen van de compressor worden door het storingssofware niet herkend. Feitelijk had die software de auto op de kabelstoring direct plat moeten leggen om gevogschade te beperken. De vraag blijft of de compresor alleen door de overkill kapot ging of kapot ging door te blijven rijden voor een ris naar de garage, waardoor een oververhitting de compresor kapot draaide.

BMW i3 lacks reliable software with major consequences. It looks like your message. chaching head cabel ( sensor defect) is the way to ricks

I gave reference on my experiences with the malfunction software of the i3 and suggested better software or / and more dashboard info on temperature control. If the battery does not get so hot, the problem will also be solved.

Checked on the internet whether there are already battery products that guarantee a lower temperature, I found an article from the Chinese battery manufacturer Byd.co ltd. This manufacturer recently introduced an EV battery product under the "blade". That battery delivers 50% more in the same size, but above all, the temperature does not exceed 65 degrees. As far as I am concerned, that battery in the BMW i3 would take the stretch out.

It remains that BMW's attention to the control cable sensor failure remains of great importance. I would not like to experience a strong current overkill in the system again. Nevertheless, I remain in love with the i3 and have already bought a second one. The innovations in the i3 are unparalleled on all fronts and deserve to stay on the road for a long time. If I already have a critical need, it does not concern the service partners / dealers. I dedicate this to three partners from experience. Earlier I have to deal with them because the producer lets it down, on the parts backup and customer appreciation.

I bought it from a guy who lives in one of the wettest cities in Canada, and we're having an abnormally wet spring, we also park on my lawn since my charge cable doesn't reach far enough, so yes to all I guess. Is it safe to wait and see if it'll dry out? Once our rainy season ends in a few weeks we hardly get any rain and can see temps north of 40 degrees C so drying the car out shouldn't be an issue, but it could be a month or two before that happens.
Any updates?

Hallo daar,

Ik heb met mijn bmw i3 dezelfde storing op de aandrijflijn gehad. De dealer kreeg heel veel storingsmeldingen waardoor veel verwarring ontstond en een mogelijk schade. Besloten werd te een logische volgorde in aanpak te kiezen. De melding - te weinig issolatie en ac compressor- werden na overleg met bmw germany als belangerijkste veroorzaker genalyseerd.

Mijn analyse:

De kapotte high voltage hoofdkabel was de veroorzaker en gaf daardoor een overkill krachtstroom aan de compresor die daarop werd opgeblazen.

Conclusie:

De kapotte high voltage kabel en daarop het opblazen van de compressor worden door het storingssofware niet herkend. Feitelijk had die software de auto op de kabelstoring direct plat moeten leggen om gevogschade te beperken. De vraag blijft of de compresor alleen door de overkill kapot ging of kapot ging door te blijven rijden voor een ris naar de garage, waardoor een oververhitting de compresor kapot draaide.
Hi Rien did BMW replace the high voltage cable going to the AC compressor?

Back