(Review) RGM Rearguard vs. tailgate scratches...

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eNate

Staff member
I don't know why all wagons and hatchbacks don't come with this sort of simple tailgate paint protection factory installed. My Flex rolled off the assembly line with one attached. For my Subaru, I ordered an OE part. Couldn't find one anywhere to fit the A4 allroad. For the i3, this particular custom-shaped aftermarket piece from the UK's RGM Automotive cost an exorbitant $80 to ship to the US. Standard disclaimer: I paid retail price for this part, and was not asked to write this review.

Yeah, sure, I could have gone the route of 3M film or a generic PVC strip -- for a whole lot cheaper -- but I prefer parts that fit right and look the part. There are enough i3s in the US that these really should be available through a distributor. Until then, here's the product link (you'll need to select a pre- or post-facelift model):

https://rgmautomotive.co.uk/search/?make=&model=747

Here are the paint scratches I'm referring to. No, they're not terribly terrible, but my crystal ball says they'll only get worse. I roll with my two young sons who drag their backpacks 'n stuff in and out of the car, and I can't claim innocence, either. Thankfully the kids are relatively respectful young men who know dad hates scratched paint. I've seen other i3s with bumper paint that is totally trashed, maybe with the help of dogs.
rgm-scratches1.jpg

rgm-scratches2.jpg

After seven days in transit, this cartoonishly-large box knocked on my door, from the UK by way of Paris and Memphis. Shipping time was shorter than the eight days it took to submit and process the order, which requires a multi-email back-and-forth exchange for a shipping quote and PayPal or bank transfer payment instructions. I think RGM could have saved me a few bucks with a smaller box, but hey, it's FedEx ("International Economy"), so probably couldn't have been done for much less.
rgm-bigbox.jpg

Despite the damaged box, there was a much slimmer untouched box tucked inside, double bubble wrapped. With all the pretense of the giant box, this is all that slides out: the RGM Rearguard p/n RBP846 (2013-2017), poly-bagged, with instruction sheets and a cleaning wipe.
rgm-bagged.jpg

The Rearguard is ABS plastic. It has an interesting texture on the underside, some "inspected by"-type decals, and double-stick tape pre-applied. The tape looks to be 3M VHB acrylic-foam, commonly used for automotive applications. It is applied in one continuous length along only the "rear" edge, with short strips along the left and right edges.
rgm-texture-decals.jpg

I did a soap-and-water cleaning of the bumper, then an alcohol wipe-down, followed by a couple of passes using the included 3M wipe. The 3M wipe left behind some dirty-looking brown streaking, so I did one final pass with the alcohol. If you search the web for VHB application, you'll find a whole 3M page dedicated to surface prep. Main takeaways: clean, free of wax, and dry. The instructions stipulate no car washes for two days; this type of tape takes a couple of days to achieve full bonding strength.
rgm-cleaning-supplies.jpg

The installation instruction call for a test fit before exposing the tape. I did, and found that while the right side nests perfectly (first photo), the left side leaves a slight gap that I couldn't get rid of. It wasn't a matter of being improperly centered -- I tried! -- both outside edges of the Rearguard sit flush against the inner edges of the hatch opening, so there's practically no side-to-side wiggle room. For installation, the instructions call for exposing a short length of the tape to start, setting the Rearguard in position, then slowly pulling the tail of the tape while ensuring correct placement is maintained. BTW these two pics give a good look at the exposed-side texture.
rgm-right-corner.jpg

rgm-left-corner-gap.jpg

Once applied, the gap "problem" doesn't stand out, and obviously disappears once the tailgate is closed. The Rearguard looks good, or at least doesn't have the appearance of an add-on part. The way it closely follows the rear contour, and smoothly curves over the edge, makes it blend in as an original part of the car, and it extends welcome protection out beyond where the generic bumper guards stop short. This is as close as can be to factory fit and finish.
rgm-topdown.jpg

rgm-profile.jpg

There you have it! ABS Rearguards with optional applied surface finishes are available: carbon weave, brushed alloy, and silver. My personal feeling is those fake finishes look cheap, and call attention to a part that should blend in. The Rearguard is removable, should you choose to do so. If your tailgate paint is pristine, this is a great way to keep it that way, If it's scratched, this is a great way to hide it. DIY installation ought to be easy for anybody. The real hurdle is the premium price, but at all-in $175, I wouldn't be shocked to be asked to pay that much at the BMW parts counter, if BMW actually manufactured this part. (FYI I looked up prices for genuine BMW bumper guards for other models, and no, they're not this expensive.)

Definitely the best i3 rear bumper protector I've seen. About 3 years ago when I ask Rearguard about a U.S. distributor, I was given the name of a Pennsylvania company that never responded to my inquiries.

As a result, I bought an inexpensive 41" flexible silicone polymer universal fit protector on Amazon. Its curvature and width are perfect for an i3's bumper. However, it doesn't wrap around the top rear bumper edge like the Rearguard. Fortunately, it is thick enough that this top rear edge is protected pretty well. Unfortunately, only the 36" version of this protector is currently available on Amazon. This doesn't provide as much protection as the 41" version.

I emailed RGB yesterday just as a follow-up, and inquired about the lack of US distributors. They say they are working on it, but it didn't sound like anything is imminent. I'm pretty certain I corresponded with them maybe four years ago looking for a Rearguard for another car, and it was the same deal, direct orders from the UK only.

I agree,that wrap-over lip is a nice touch. Edges are usually a high wear point.

Several members of this forum, including yours truly, have purchased and installed this bumper guard on their vehicles. IMO, it is a great product.

That's interesting, because when I search this forum for "Rearguard" I get crickets. I actually stumbled upon this product from the Speak EV forum, which has a high UK-based user base. I can't understand why this product isn't in higher demand in the US.

There are one or two previous threads on the general topic of rear bumper protection that discuss the product. The threads may not have identified the manufacturer's name, but I extracted enough information from the threads to track down the manufacturer's UK contact information. I am glad I did.

So glad I found this thread. I'm going to look into ordering this, but wonder how long it might take to get it delivered during this time.

Doug - out

So glad I found this thread. I'm going to look into ordering this, but wonder how long it might take to get it delivered during this time.

I think mine came DHL.
Passenger flights may be limited, but I think outfits like DHL and FED EX, which have their own cargo planes, are still flying (and DHL is not showing any COR-19 interrupted service messages on their web site).

I don't remember the brand of the one I have, but it looks pretty much identical to the one the OP has. FWIW, it IS an OEM part in the UK, and is actually cheaper from them than from the manufacturer! I have relatives in England with access to the APO system, they bought one at their local BMW shop and mailed it to me. Came within a week or so and the postage was cheap, too. Buying from the manufacturer, it's available in a few colors, but BMW-UK only carries it in black.

It's sometimes enlightening to go through the various BMW websites to see what accessories are available locally for the vehicle. Each country decides what accessories they want to carry, so sometimes, you just have to go out of the country.

Yeah, I wouldn't sweat the shipping. FedEx flights are still humming in the midst of all this. If anything, RGM might be at a stand-down depending on what rules are in place in good old Bedfordshire.

But since you need to email them anyway to request a shipping quote and get the ball rolling, I'm sure they'll be up-front with you about any production issues.

Just fitted RGM guard in Carbon. Temperature in UK now between 18C and 30C the recommended fitting temperature. The guard complements the chrome boot / trunk styling line well. No idea how to attach photos to thread but you can see them here https://www.speakev.com/threads/bmw-i3-boot-lip-protection.9849/#post-2807618

Got my plain black Rearguard and it fits perfectly, there's no indication at all it wasn't factory fitted.

It looks like the RGM Rearguard cover for the i3 is now being sold on eBay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362791059059

Yay! Maybe they found a way to ship 'em in a tube or something. That's quite a bit more reasonable.

The thing is relatively rigid ABS plastic, so, if you put it into a tube, it would need to be fairly big diameter to account for its width and the fact that it is curved. My sister mailed me one years ago that was flat with a double thickness of cardboard around it. Not sure how much it could bend before breaking, but think that it's a fair amount. Shipping international is a combination of weight and volume, a tube would be significantly more volume, and, if it was strong enough to not bend, up the overall weight quite a bit. My shipping experience is a quantity of one, so may or may not reflect anyone else's results!

This used to be a BMW part in the UK, and it was actually cheaper through BMW than it was from the manufacturer. No longer see it on the BMW-UK accessories list, but it might still be there. The factory offers it in four colors...BMW only sold it in black, which is what I wanted, anyways.

When I ordered one last year directly from the manufacturer, the product was shipped from the U.K in a long, narrow cardbox shipping box and was not folded.

Just ordered RGM Rearguard and installed it.

49.96 UKD
75.00 UKD for carriage.

124.96 UKD = 154.20 USD

Glad i bought it....but this one is not cheap --- USD 93 for shipping!

I just ordered mine on eBay UK. Total cost including shipping and tax (yes, unfortunately) was £99.59.

I think this is a better deal in terms of shipping. But lets see if it arrives. Estimated mid July.

This is one of the less expensive options I've found: https://www.ebay.com/itm/303333848696

Just be careful when ordering. There are 2 different versions (sizes).

The RBP846 fits 2013 - 10/2017
The RBP858 fits 11/2017 onwards.

I ordered the WRONG one (RBP858) instead of the RBP846. So anyone on the stateside (Texas) interested in getting this (RBP858) [11/2017 on] size, feel free to PM me. Would be super convenient if you're in Houston TX.

Looks like I'll need to re-order! *sigh...

Back