ksnax

Re: Rear-Fog Switch Retrofit (U.S. i3s)

Sun May 24, 2020 9:16 am

Anybody tried the ECS part yet?

jadnashuanh

Tue May 26, 2020 2:15 pm

When I asked them about it, they said that they don't sell everything that is in their parts database. At least at the time, when I specifically asked, they said they did not sell that switch. I did change the switch on my GT long time ago, and it was plug and play...the i3 requires some coding changes for it to work, if you do get one. Things may have changed in the interim...
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV

Snowie

Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:40 pm

I've been wanting rear fogs on all my US-spec BMW's for ages. Buying the correct switch is easy. Coding is the deal breaker for me since I have yet to find a place or person who can do it successfully/reliably for me. I hope someone would come up with a solution for this.

Meanwhile, for those attempting to activate the rear fog, please ONLY activate one side (driver's side), so as not to confuse other road users that you're hitting your brakes - which makes it worse for safety in a foggy situation.

I know certain UK-standard cars (Jaguar, Land Rover, Mini, UK Fords) run their rear fogs on both sides. While it's "more balanced" looking, it's just too bright and can even mask your actual brake/signal lights because of its brightness.

SSi3

Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:17 pm

Snowie wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:40 pm
Meanwhile, for those attempting to activate the rear fog, please ONLY activate one side (driver's side), so as not to confuse other road users that you're hitting your brakes - which makes it worse for safety in a foggy situation.

I know certain UK-standard cars (Jaguar, Land Rover, Mini, UK Fords) run their rear fogs on both sides. While it's "more balanced" looking, it's just too bright and can even mask your actual brake/signal lights because of its brightness.
Yes thank you!! 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼
Born electric 4/25/15 (2015 REx)
Re-born fully electric 7/27/19 (2019 i3s BEV)

Snowie

Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:33 pm

websterize wrote:
Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:07 pm

Coding 3068 NSL_Verbaut activated only the icon in the instrument cluster; all bumper lights remained dark. But adding 3064 > Mapping_Nebelschluss turned on bulb 5, which BMW designates as turn signals. These flash as the emergency lights when the trunk is open. The brightness of bulb 5 is similar to the tail light (1). Until I can figure out how to activate bulb 7, these will do.

In my years of living in UK, Europe, Asia, Canada and America, I have never seen any BMWs with BOTH rear fog lights activated from the factory.
This is just a theory, maybe if you DON'T try to activate BOTH lights? Just activate the one on driver's side?

SSi3

Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:44 pm

I activated them on my E91 many years ago with the switch modification and it made both rear fogs come on. I didn’t have any way to deactivate one of them (probably could have with a coding software) but I figured as long as I used them properly then having two wasn’t an issue. Plus Audi’s and Olds Auroras in NA have dual fogs so it’s not unusual here since there’s no mandate for them nor is there any education for drivers on what they are or how to use them.
Last edited by SSi3 on Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Born electric 4/25/15 (2015 REx)
Re-born fully electric 7/27/19 (2019 i3s BEV)

jadnashuanh

Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:19 pm

If you really need fog lights, having both on is a good thing, IMHO. Problem is, many people just seem to run around with them on all of the time, especially those on the front (not available on the i3 unless you add some). I just look at the cars in front. When I have trouble seeing their taillights, I turn my fog lamps on, and as things clear up, turn them off. On a trip, that may mean doing it multiple times. All part of being aware of the conditions. In most cases, running around town in stop and go traffic, they aren't often that useful. If they are, and it blinds someone behind, they're following too closely, anyway!

I don't know if the control logic is there to only turn one of them on. In my GT, the logic was already in the vehicle...all I had to do was swap the switch. The message will still go out on the i3, but the central processor, or whichever one that decodes it, isn't programmed out of the factory to respond. Since I tend not to drive my i3 when the weather is bad enough to make rear fog lights useful, I didn't buy a new switch for it to enable the function.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV

Return to “Modifications & Accessories”