jadnashuanh

Re: Auto climate button & AC on

Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:26 pm

When in auto, the fan function is more of an aggressiveness adjustment. Setting the mode to one of the ECO ones will affect how aggressively the car tries to maintain. The car is smart enough to notice the windows fogging up, and even if the a/c is off, can turn it back on to help dry the air. BMW has said that driving with the windows down above 25mph and the a/c off is less efficient than letting it run with the windows closed because of the additional drag from having them open. The sliding adjustment on the vents will offset the temperature out of them either warmer or colder than normal, so, say it's set to blue end, it will be cold, pretty much regardless of where you have the thermostat. That can offset say the heat from the sun on a cold day where you want your feet warm, but some cooler air in your face.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV

joni3s

Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:34 am

jadnashuanh wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:26 pm
When in auto, the fan function is more of an aggressiveness adjustment. Setting the mode to one of the ECO ones will affect how aggressively the car tries to maintain. The car is smart enough to notice the windows fogging up, and even if the a/c is off, can turn it back on to help dry the air. BMW has said that driving with the windows down above 25mph and the a/c off is less efficient than letting it run with the windows closed because of the additional drag from having them open. The sliding adjustment on the vents will offset the temperature out of them either warmer or colder than normal, so, say it's set to blue end, it will be cold, pretty much regardless of where you have the thermostat. That can offset say the heat from the sun on a cold day where you want your feet warm, but some cooler air in your face.
does i3 climate have this sliding adjustment blue/red? i dont recall, but ive read about it on other bmw models.
2018 I3s rex

Fisher99

Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:48 am

My wife's 5 series has the blue/red on the vents and works exactly as he stated. However, my 2014 i3 does not have blue/red. The vent controls simply turn the vents on/off. Maybe it was an option on a higher trim level on the i3. Mine is a Giga. Maybe on the Tera?

joni3s

Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:13 am

Fisher99 wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:48 am
My wife's 5 series has the blue/red on the vents and works exactly as he stated. However, my 2014 i3 does not have blue/red. The vent controls simply turn the vents on/off. Maybe it was an option on a higher trim level on the i3. Mine is a Giga. Maybe on the Tera?
I have an 2018 tera interior and it's still just a sliding open/closed system.
2018 I3s rex

Amstel

Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:49 pm

Maybe it’s just my 2019 i3 but the Auto function does not adjust the fan. I mean, I have to graduate it manually, is that right? I’m a newbie on this car but my previous Audi did everything (temperature + fan) when Auto was on...
Last edited by Amstel on Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

jadnashuanh

Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:00 pm

The car will adjust the fan, but maybe not to your liking. IN that case, you can adjust it manually.

Also, FWIW, the car will also sense if the windows are fogging up, and turn on the a/c, even it you've manually turned it off to help dehumidify the air unless it is too cold outside for it to function properly.

Sometimes, the car is too smart. But, once you've got it dialed in to what you like, mine, at least, seems to do a pretty good job. Keep in mind that the i3 is trying to manage power, so it might choose a less aggressive reaction to temperatures than a more typical similar system in an ICE.

SOme try to save energy by shutting the a/c off in the summer and running around with the windows open...BMW has stated that over 25mph, the drag induced by having the windows open is greater hit on economy than running the a/c. It might be useful initially to flush the super heated air after being parked in the sun, but once that's done, shut them, and let the HVAC do its thing.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV

eNate

Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:13 pm

Amstel wrote:
Maybe it’s just my 2019 i3 but the Auto function does not manage the fan. I mean, I have to graduate it manually, is that right? I’m a newbie on this car but my previous Audi did everything (temperature + fan) when Auto was on...
The fan is "managed," but I was happily surprised to find that Auto mode stays engaged even after a manual adjustment is made to the blower speed. On many other cars with Auto climate function, the Auto indicator turns off once a control is touched, which I assume means the system has reverted to manual control.

One control the i3 sorely lacks is coordination between the blower and the Bluetooth phone. The Tahoe I drive at work automatically quiets the noisy fan when a call is made or received, and makes a much appreciated difference.
2 0 1 7   B M W   i 3   9 4 A h   B E V  O a k l a n d
 Wokeby Trunk Extension | Duosida 16A L1 EVSE
 SeaSucker Monkey Bar Roof Rack

Amstel

Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:31 am

jadnashuanh wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:00 pm
The car will adjust the fan, but maybe not to your liking. IN that case, you can adjust it manually.

Also, FWIW, the car will also sense if the windows are fogging up, and turn on the a/c, even it you've manually turned it off to help dehumidify the air unless it is too cold outside for it to function properly.

Sometimes, the car is too smart. But, once you've got it dialed in to what you like, mine, at least, seems to do a pretty good job. Keep in mind that the i3 is trying to manage power, so it might choose a less aggressive reaction to temperatures than a more typical similar system in an ICE.

SOme try to save energy by shutting the a/c off in the summer and running around with the windows open...BMW has stated that over 25mph, the drag induced by having the windows open is greater hit on economy than running the a/c. It might be useful initially to flush the super heated air after being parked in the sun, but once that's done, shut them, and let the HVAC do its thing.
Wow, that is a smart system. I was afraid that is was more basic as I always see it on the minimum, but will definitely take a look at its behavior. Thanks!

Amstel

Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:33 am

eNate wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:13 pm
Amstel wrote:
Maybe it’s just my 2019 i3 but the Auto function does not manage the fan. I mean, I have to graduate it manually, is that right? I’m a newbie on this car but my previous Audi did everything (temperature + fan) when Auto was on...
The fan is "managed," but I was happily surprised to find that Auto mode stays engaged even after a manual adjustment is made to the blower speed. On many other cars with Auto climate function, the Auto indicator turns off once a control is touched, which I assume means the system has reverted to manual control.

One control the i3 sorely lacks is coordination between the blower and the Bluetooth phone. The Tahoe I drive at work automatically quiets the noisy fan when a call is made or received, and makes a much appreciated difference.
thats great! That was my “complaint” as on my old car whenever you changed the fan speed auto would un trigger.

renemoris

Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:22 am

If your ac do not have auto climate button you needs to call experts to add the function to your ac. that kind of air conditioner gives you a comfortable zone. the machine can control air flow balance automatically. https://handyman-dubai.com/ac-repair-dubai can resolve minor and major issue of your ac. your job can be done very efficiently.

Return to “General / Main i3 Owners Forum”