Help! Lost my drivers license in between dashboard & windshield

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puzzle

Who likes puzzles?

After our Sars-Cov-2 test, I couldn't reach my driver's license placed on the dash for the nurse to view. I planned to retrieve it after we got home (5 min. drive). Unfortunately, the driver's license vanished in that 5 min drive. We think it slipped down between the glass and the dashboard.

Here's what I've tried to do to find/remove it:
* Called BMW service department to figure out how to remove dashboard. They haven't called me back.
* used 3 tongue depressors taped together and double-sided tape at the bottom to fish it out.
* used a sheet protector pressed open with an inverted plastic hanging file tab to slide it along the gap to try to fish it out.
* shined a light on the dark part of the glass to see if we can see the driver's license. It appears to be 100% opaque.

Does anyone know how to access that space between the windshield and the dash? I tried going from the frunk -- no luck. There doesn't appear to be an easy way to remove the dash. Don't want to remove the windshield.

It does appear that the windshield gap has some sort of stop to keep things falling to the ground.

For various reasons, I am trying to avoid unnecessary contact with others so I'm trying to avoid the Department of Motor Vehicles to get a new driver's license ... even if it is open. But I will need to rent a car soon.

2015 i3 REX

Thanks for reading!

Have you checked on your DMV web site? Most areas allow online application for replacement of lost licences, will issue a printable 30 day temporary licence, and mail out the new one.

Help! as well!!

Did you get it out?

When I hit the brake, my iPhone skid up towards the windshield and disappeared between dashboard and windshield!. Was a surreal view. I feel it with my finger tips but it is firmly stuck. This must be wrongly designed by BMW for this to happen!? Any ideas of how to get it out? Any ideas how how much it would be to remove the dashboard?

I have a 1 year old i3s. I noted at the local BW dealer that the new i3, have and expanding plastic preventing this to happen, I guess I am not the only one.

Best,
JK

Who likes puzzles?

After our Sars-Cov-2 test, I couldn't reach my driver's license placed on the dash for the nurse to view. I planned to retrieve it after we got home (5 min. drive). Unfortunately, the driver's license vanished in that 5 min drive. We think it slipped down between the glass and the dashboard.

Here's what I've tried to do to find/remove it:
* Called BMW service department to figure out how to remove dashboard. They haven't called me back.
* used 3 tongue depressors taped together and double-sided tape at the bottom to fish it out.
* used a sheet protector pressed open with an inverted plastic hanging file tab to slide it along the gap to try to fish it out.
* shined a light on the dark part of the glass to see if we can see the driver's license. It appears to be 100% opaque.

Does anyone know how to access that space between the windshield and the dash? I tried going from the frunk -- no luck. There doesn't appear to be an easy way to remove the dash. Don't want to remove the windshield.

It does appear that the windshield gap has some sort of stop to keep things falling to the ground.

For various reasons, I am trying to avoid unnecessary contact with others so I'm trying to avoid the Department of Motor Vehicles to get a new driver's license ... even if it is open. But I will need to rent a car soon.

2015 i3 REX

Thanks for reading!
If this ever happens to me I would apply for a new Licsense much less fuss and cheaper than taking it to a garage or trying to do it myself

Back