Activating Carplay on 2018+ i3

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stormi3

Hi, just got a 2018 i3 REX. It appears to have idrive 6 on it without carplay. I asked the dealer to activate carplay but they said it was not possible. I believe carplay was an option on 2018. Can it be activated another way? Thank you!

It is indeed an option.
Straightforward to do, but ya has to pay I’m afraid.
$450au.

Go on to the BMW connect, then to ‘hub’.

You’ll see what your vin number has linked to it, but I’d call them just to verify what you do, and don’t have subscription-wise.
They made a mistake with me, then came back shortly after.

Once subscribed to, and it’s had a good shot at a data connection, usually two hours-ish, it’ll be there.
(There will possibly be a message, and or, as you delete the iPhone already on, re-instate it, and for me, it miraculously appeared in phone settings on the display of the i3. You’ll see it at the far left, just about 1/3 up from the bottom if you have it).

You then select it in settings. You’ll see a check box for Apple car play there.

Exit to menu. Turn the dial as far left as you can, and there’s a small side eminating tab, enter on that, then it appears.
Your iPhone has a few settings you’ll need to tweek too, but yes, Dec 18 94Ah Rex, and mine works well.

The apple CarPlay is not listed under the bmw connected hub. I have found it on the bmwusa.com ConnectedDrive website but when it checks for compatibility it says it is not compatible. That’s why I tried the dealer and they also said it is not compatible. How could that be?

I have a 2018 and confirmed I had the wifi antenna on my iDrive unit under back seat.

I used FemtoEVO https://fscmap.com/femtoevo/ to activate CarPlay. It required a LAN OBD cable and a laptop... Once the hardware signature was read off of the i3, I sent the files to their email address and got back a signature that was flashed to the car. Their software is painless to use and turn around time was very fast!

Could be the version.
Model changes happened in 2018.

I just applied via the hub thing, less than a few hrs later, there it was in the car.

Back