Has anyone tried the 'electrified' app'?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve999

I was wondering if anyone has tried the 'electrified' app from the google app store? Looks like it can read some of the high voltage battery status, including SOH%, min/max cell voltages, etc. over OBD2 port using same bluetooth adapters as used by those who coded their I3. I have an iphone, not android unfortunately, so I can't try it out easily. Someone posted a video on utube about a month ago ( see link). I'm curious if it is any good...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgMhEr9r0zE

I, too, have only an iPhone and iPad, so I can't try the Electrified app. I hope that an iOS app developer will develop a similar app which I would purchase if not too expensive. I have encouraged the BimmerCode/BimmerLink developer to consider developing an iOS version of Electrified.

FWIW, many BMW vehicles seem to not appreciate something left in the OBD port once you lock the car. On some, it can trigger the alarm system, so general use of something there might be an issue. WOrks fine for diagnostics, but not long-term use. So while it may work, it may not.

jadnashuanh said:
FWIW, many BMW vehicles seem to not appreciate something left in the OBD port once you lock the car. On some, it can trigger the alarm system, so general use of something there might be an issue. WOrks fine for diagnostics, but not long-term use. So while it may work, it may not.
The alarm on our 2014 U.S. i3 was triggered after I inserted into the OBD port an OBD-cellular data network dongle used in my state's mileage-based road tax pilot program. I was able to use BimmerCode to disable the "OBD Alarm" which might or might not be wise in the long run.

I have the app and it is pretty much what you see in the video. Maybe useful for checking status once in a while.

I installed Electrified on my OnePlus 7T and it refused to communicate with my Veepeak OBDCheck BLE. Same phone/Veepeak combination works with Bimmercode/Bimmerlink, so pretty sure that this is an issue with the app.

gps1539 said:
I have the app and it is pretty much what you see in the video. Maybe useful for checking status once in a while.

Seconded. The Max/Min cell temp and voltages were interesting to see and the SOH of the battery was interesting to see in a single number. I've been tracking this off of Batt. Kapa Max and my estimates have me hovering around 70%. With over a year left on the battery warranty, I'm curious to see if it drops any further...

The update speed on the app was pretty low which I blame on my bluetooth adapter, but the lag allowed me to grab this screenshot when it was safe to do so and see 125kw power output (366v at 342A) after flooring it.

ACtC-3csmgF-N--dURMWvW69Cg2W1dZZGOefpwhaSHrorefSAaEiImyuki02DvJGqDEeQXcbiCj5gJkVh_KfBaJPUxKbJvNP7sV2AuDIWKWRFaq_eOosUPr6CEaljDLqYQx62yT1cpP40TwcybHEiFwMj_ZnzA=w796-h969-no

Also, can confirm my alarm went off shortly after I locked the car with the OBDII adapter still plugged in.

OnhVBGm6EbLwwyGsUKlrUUVeXnxNYvkRY9XYGblSX3-TDAd-wDQQh5E5npcjtmVUcQv0D10q125kF88Qtq6TPcEC_i7Cbf8MrKliy1kWqoUQNiGBZTLyBfe8d-NQnmVXJ9ewES3iVRPPvNVftk5w8Q9p20NLvuj1JdtHieAbd_4TD79wal91qdJDKIPU5IF7ukPbK2BpQZKzsWIGpF9f5u8xiq34_BCsBoK8ceDFH_u36DC8g4amoGQJZtye9GDyyX1n2-rC5oQmMb78Znjfc1sSTXC8cSb6C9V77L71uYKBYwAZAagVLsJvciEUsRQqsuXWh_ZOS9SrJRxEk-St8FCHWKw6XgXTmkTXPFFah4SBrrViymEpuqxgwlSK1yDV529wFgK5N0dBoDjFviPnqVMLhDj0X7iQakiRjq8A4EZwcEYOA5o02RV8zclm5krnRlCI_0BD4OVGswL0oAVsAfGXQjB0VfihZ-L58hLDalYez68xmbM6QI4QGp-eJaE4HbsBMN-CKjRKlWLtOsFNFTxugdrhDMtquM8uTL8aiW5ZnIzYqhxwi3RFPRUe63k56HXGeCuHiPA3tl3oAmWE2NZKX4wrLG8pOOPxfRvoOeVxiKqmE_Os9Btpv1Nz9MtomnaChZA0642beLfPVzgX6lkikwYkn4xAz3ax5AsWxAGytt3DiCfaQeXIvsELdQ=w550-h978-no

What sort of mileage have you done to have a have a SOH of 69% - that seems low for a car still in warranty?

Mine is @ 91% on a 94Ah 2016 BEV with 53,000 miles on it.
My alarm also goes off if left plugged in - could someone else unlock the car using bluetooth signal hence why you can't leave it in?

Kristian said:
My alarm also goes off if left plugged in - could someone else unlock the car using bluetooth signal hence why you can't leave it in?
I'm sure that leaving an OBD to wireless device plugged in reduces security. However, I don't know what might be compromised. Nevertheless, the "OBD Alarm" can be disabled via coding which I did to participate in a pilot program for assessing fees for maintaining roads by measuring distance driven. The OBD dongle used includes a cellular data radio to communicate with a server to report distance driven.

Kristian said:
What sort of mileage have you done to have a have a SOH of 69% - that seems low for a car still in warranty?

Just recently ticked over 55k miles, and yes, I agree it seems low for a car with more than a year left on the warranty. The good news is the car has enough range for my needs right now (especially with coronavirus), and I'm hoping by the time it doesn't that BMW will have a way to increase my range and/or a battery upgrade is practical.

I am inclined to believe the Electrified app is "correct" (or at least close) on SOH. My Batt Kapa Max readings are hovering around 13.2 right now which works out to 70.2% of the 18.8 kWh usable capacity I have on my 2014. It's a bit interesting that Electrified and the Batt Kapa Max don't come out to the same percentage. I would have assumed the SOH and Batt Kapa Max readings would be coming from the same place in the car.

I had my car in BMW for the brake fluid change within the past year and asked them to test the HV battery. They said it 'passed' without giving much additional information. They did not do the comprehensive battery run down test that some folks have reported and I assumed that they used some BMW proprietary tools/ procedures but now it looks like everything they showed me is available in the Electrified app.

3pete said:
Kristian said:

Just recently ticked over 55k miles, and yes, I agree it seems low for a car with more than a year left on the warranty. The good news is the car has enough range for my needs right now (especially with coronavirus).

I was thinking of the 3 year car warranty not the 7 year battery warranty. As nice as it is to have a high SOH as long as the range does the job then that is what matters. As long as I can do my 60 miles commute then that is fine.

Back