Activating LIM button in i3s

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
websterize said:
alohart said:
… I drive in traffic almost exclusively with ACC on and can't imagine how LIM would be an improvement.
The ACC works as low as 20 mph, which I didn't realize before starting this thread. Never having driven a car with a LIM button, it seems as if i3s with ACC already have this function?

Still trying to wrap my head around it …

My lim and cruise control both work as low as 20mph and I don't have the ACC option on my i3.

My lim and cruise control both work as low as 20mph and I don't have the ACC option on my i3.
I haven't got ACC either, but LIM does not work as a speed limiter at any speed.
If the Cruise Control ("CC" ) button has been pressed, the SET button merely selects the present speed for the cruise control, but doesn't seem to stop me exceeding the setting, which is what I want the limit to do. It just seems to act as an alternate method for choosing the cruise-controlled speed. I've had Limit on previous cars, and it's an excellent way of avoiding inadvertent over-speeding.
The RES button just restarts cruise control. A brief press on the brake, or pressing the CC button once disengages cruise control. A second press on CC also disengages cruise control completely.
What am I missing?

FrancisJeffries said:
I haven't got ACC either, but LIM does not work as a speed limiter at any speed.
If the Cruise Control ("CC" ) button has been pressed, the SET button merely selects the present speed for the cruise control, but doesn't seem to stop me exceeding the setting, which is what I want the limit to do. It just seems to act as an alternate method for choosing the cruise-controlled speed. I've had Limit on previous cars, and it's an excellent way of avoiding inadvertent over-speeding.
The RES button just restarts cruise control. A brief press on the brake, or pressing the CC button once disengages cruise control. A second press on CC also disengages cruise control completely.
What am I missing?

You need to be in at least Eco pro mode for LIM to start flashing on your panel, and stop you going past the set speed. You can defeat it by flooring it for a while.
If LIM isn't working for you i suggest checking it out at your dealer.

FrancisJeffries said:
What am I missing?

LIM is default and on but only in EcoPro and EcoPro+ The default speeds are set and adjustable within a limited range via the menus. As soon as you press the cruise control button, LIM is cancelled and you are in whichever cruise control version you have optioned with no option for LIM.

So it looks as if forum member "randomx" over on bimmerpost.com figured out how to configure the SET button on the i3's steering wheel to function as a speed limiter, or LIM. The settings appear to be in the SAS module. Unfortunately, I don't think it is writeable with the easy-to-use bimmercode.app. But for those willing to give it a go:

Use the "SET" button to set the maximum speed.

i3 SLD Enable

SAS
> 3000 FAS
> Funktionen
> LDM_SLD_Funktion
> ein
> LDM_SLD_vmax_kmh
> wert150
> LDM_SLD_vmin_kmh
> wert30
> LDM_SLD_Auspraegung
> normal

If you operate in MPH, adjust accordingly, so instead of changing the 'kmh' values change the 'mph' values.

Note: ECO Pro will no longer lock you to their predefined speeds.

Enjoy!
Source: https://bmwi.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1501540

FWIW, the app, in expert mode, can usually still access any entry. The simple mode is not complete, but you should have access to anything in expert mode.

The BimmerCode developer responded quickly. He said at some point he will add access to the SAS module in an update, but without access to expert mode.

i just got my i3s (with active cruise control) and disappointed to find out no speed limiter function... I have this in much smaller and cheaper car..

do you manage to get this work on your i3?

thanks

I wish to have the LIM button on my i3 so much. Could you confirm this can be done and how to do it?
I am at UK, would be really grateful if you can do for me for a price or beers. :)

Yes, it can be done. I used ESYS with ESysPlus 3.8 which is the only launcher I can get for free.
It was not up to date, the coding entries are off by two. Nevertheless, the comparator indicted the correct change.
I only coded LDM_SLD_Auspraegung->normal and LDM_SLD_vmin_mph->01 (5 mph) and it worked beautifully.

Back