Can I upgrade my 2017 battery to 2020?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yaely007

I was wondering if it’s possible to do that and if so would I get the same electric range that the 2020’s come with now?

Theoretically possible? Sure. Practically possible? Probably not (yet?). There are a few examples of it having been done, both by BMW going from 60ah to 90ah batteries and by aftermarket options to go to the 120ah battery.

https://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4974
https://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4573
https://insideevs.com/news/330742/does-a-bmw-i3-battery-upgrade-on-an-older-model-make-sense/

One of the things about the higher capacity batteries, they tend to be heavier. You'd want to carefully check the parts listings to see if they changed the springs and/or shocks between MY where the battery capacity changed. That did happen between the original battery and the next upgrade...don't know if that's also the same between the middle and latest. Note, it appears that MY 2021 or 2022 will get a larger yet battery. Don't know what they may need to change when that happens. In addition to that consideration, getting the vehicle's logic update to know about the characteristics of the latest battery pack's capacity and voltage requirements, and the resulting logic that determines the charging rate and time would need to be addressed. BMW has not chosen to make battery upgrades a USA thing, although it's offered in some markets.

The onboard charging has not changed, so a larger battery will entail longer and longer actual charging times.

jadnashuanh said:
One of the things about the higher capacity batteries, they tend to be heavier. You'd want to carefully check the parts listings to see if they changed the springs and/or shocks between MY where the battery capacity changed. That did happen between the original battery and the next upgrade...don't know if that's also the same between the middle and latest. Note, it appears that MY 2021 or 2022 will get a larger yet battery. Don't know what they may need to change when that happens. In addition to that consideration, getting the vehicle's logic update to know about the characteristics of the latest battery pack's capacity and voltage requirements, and the resulting logic that determines the charging rate and time would need to be addressed. BMW has not chosen to make battery upgrades a USA thing, although it's offered in some markets.

The onboard charging has not changed, so a larger battery will entail longer and longer actual charging times.

Good point! I didn’t know that you can’t do it in the USA. How about Canada?

I'm also interested in the prospect of upgrading. I think it can be done, but don't know how difficult /expensive. The other factor is whether or not BMW would be willing to do it. There are existing higher capacity batteries from i3's that have met with an unexpected end available in the wild. Don't know what it would take to get them installed.

The actual battery tray, to my understanding, has not changed since original introduction. The rear springs and maybe shocks have changed as the weight changed. So, it's not just swapping out the battery modules, otherwise, the vehicle may not sit at the ideal level that could affect the ride and handling, and may affect whether the headlights can maintain the proper vertical alignment. As was said, the newer batteries have tended to be denser in not only charge capacity, but also weight.

bavejik said:
Yaely007 said:
I was wondering if it’s possible to do that and if so would I get the same electric range that the 2020’s come with now?

Hi buddy, did you try out yet? Even am planning something similar.

Regards,
Bave Smith
Tutuapp ShowBox Kodi

Hey. Didn’t get a chance to investigate that even.
My car’s battery is not bad. Still holds 200km range. I thought maybe in the future?

jadnashuanh said:
The actual battery tray, to my understanding, has not changed since original introduction. The rear springs and maybe shocks have changed as the weight changed. So, it's not just swapping out the battery modules, otherwise, the vehicle may not sit at the ideal level that could affect the ride and handling, and may affect whether the headlights can maintain the proper vertical alignment. As was said, the newer batteries have tended to be denser in not only charge capacity, but also weight.

Hi, according to my quick search I found that the battery upgrade has no dramatic effect to the curb weight (Especially from 94Ah to 120Ah):

2014 i3 ( 60Ah): 2799 lbs. (1269 kg)
2018 i3 ( 94Ah): 2961 lbs. (1343 kg)
2019 i3 (120Ah): 2972 lbs. (1348 kg)

Source: https://autotk.com/weight/bmw/i3/#2020

m6rk said:
Hi, according to my quick search I found that the battery upgrade has no dramatic effect to the curb weight (Especially from 94Ah to 120Ah):

2014 i3 ( 60Ah): 2799 lbs. (1269 kg)
2018 i3 ( 94Ah): 2961 lbs. (1343 kg)
2019 i3 (120Ah): 2972 lbs. (1348 kg)
i3 curb weights are all over the place. When we bought our 2014 BEV, its curb weight was listed as 2,634 lb. on the BMW USA Website. InsideEV's and WikiPedia list it as 2,635 lb. Comparing curb weights of various model years would include the weight of items that might have been optional in early years but standard in later years.

A better comparison of battery pack weights is included on the New TIS Website:

60 Ah: ~233 kg (514 lb)
94 Ah: ~256 kg (564 lb)
120 Ah: ~273 kg (602 lb)

alohart said:
i3 curb weights are all over the place. When we bought our 2014 BEV, its curb weight was listed as 2,634 lb. on the BMW USA Website.

Shortly after I purchased my 2014 i3 BEV I took it to a truck scale. With minimal user-added detritus (and NO driver), my i3 weighed 2,880 lbs.

I was more than a little disappointed at the 250 lb. gain over what BMWNA quoted.

alohart said:
i3 curb weights are all over the place. When we bought our 2014 BEV, its curb weight was listed as 2,634 lb. on the BMW USA Website. InsideEV's and WikiPedia list it as 2,635 lb. Comparing curb weights of various model years would include the weight of items that might have been optional in early years but standard in later years.

A better comparison of battery pack weights is included on the New TIS Website:

60 Ah: ~233 kg (514 lb)
94 Ah: ~256 kg (564 lb)
120 Ah: ~273 kg (602 lb)

Thank you very much for the link & info. These figures seems to be much more logical, you are right.

But again, 17 kg extra weight from 94Ah to 120Ah is negligible.

frictioncircle said:
Shortly after I purchased my 2014 i3 BEV I took it to a truck scale. With minimal user-added detritus (and NO driver), my i3 weighed 2,880 lbs.

I was more than a little disappointed at the 250 lb. gain over what BMWNA quoted.
Thanks for reporting! I have thought about paying a truck scale to weigh our i3 after learning that my annual registration fee is partially based on weight which the state claims is ~2,900 lb. I've wondered whether they are using the REx weight instead. Apparently not :(

Art, Hawaii has truck scales? I mean, not just at the port? Wow!

eNate said:
Art, Hawaii has truck scales? I mean, not just at the port? Wow!
I know of only one on Oʻahu, so truck scales probably aren't so common as elsewhere (although we do have Interstate Highways :D

alohart said:
Thanks for reporting! I have thought about paying a truck scale to weigh our i3 after learning that my annual registration fee is partially based on weight which the state claims is ~2,900 lb. I've wondered whether they are using the REx weight instead. Apparently not :(

A friend and I corner-weighted their 2014 REx and they were pissed that it was over 3,000 lbs... 3,150 as I remember.

Different countries weigh their vehicles in different manners...some include a nominal driver. Some weigh it with a full tank, some don't. It may or may not contain oil in the crankcase, and keep in mind that ther REx is over 300# heavier than the BEV. Throw in the OUC, the compressor, maybe some windshield washer fluid, and all of those things add up.

When comparing weights, you need to read the fine print to get similar results.

As you can guess from my description, this mentality has permeated the auto industry for well over half a century of car making, giving us today the ubiquitous fixed model with no upgradability.

Upgrade ? YES is posible.

https://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=17048&e=1&view=unread#unread

Back