Apple users iOS 14 EV Routing / BMW ConnectedDrive

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BL5

This was mentioned at WWDC for iOS 14. This is currently not supported (10/02/2020) by BMW. Although I suspect BMW will be building support for this in the future. This could be awesome for i3 owners with CarPlay.

The premise from my conversation with Apple Support is this "EV Routing" feature will allow you to connect your BMW i3 to Apple Maps. Certain critical elements are shared. Such as desired route, charge status, updated ETA. I'm thinking BMW would need to develop around Apple's EV Routing API.

How to set up Maps electric vehicle routing https://www.idownloadblog.com/2020/09/30/apple-maps-electric-vehicle-routing-tutorial/

Follow the steps in the sub-sections included right ahead to learn how to set up, configure and use the handy Apple Maps electric vehicle routing feature on your iOS device.

1. Open the App Store app on your iOS device.
2. In the App Store, search for the manufacturer of your electric vehicle such as “Tesla.”
3. Download your vehicle’s app (be sure it supports electric vehicle routing) to your iOS device.
4. Open the app you just downloaded, then follow its setup instructions.
5. Now launch the Maps app on your iOS device.
6. Tap “i” in the Maps interface.
7. Choose the option “My Vehicles.”
8. Tap “Connect Your Electric Vehicles.”
9. Select your electric vehicle, then follow the onscreen instructions

The key missing element today is making sure your vehicle app support EV Routing.

What also is interesting from the WWDC photo, it appears BMW (and Ford) are launch partners for this new EV Routing feature. If properly implemented by BMW this could bring our BMW's closer to par with Tesla's superior automatic mapping/charging functions.

Great post. Thank you.

Speaking of tech...has anyone started some kind of a class action lawsuit regarding our Connected apps? The i3 and several other "older" model BMWs will lose their 3G Connected app when 3G is no longer used by or before December 2021.

Once 3G is gone, in a year or less....us i3 owners will no longer be able to climatize our cars, check range/battery, lock/unlock doors, etc...

For those of us especially with 2019 or 2020 models, our contracts for Connected Drive/Connected app will be active when 3G is dismantled. What will we do? I am very surprised BMW has been so hush hush on this.

I know for me personally, living in a place with 90-100+F temps for 75% of the year, I will be very upset not being able to pre-cool my car with the app.

Deutsch100 said:
The i3 and several other "older" model BMWs will lose their 3G Connected app when 3G is no longer used by or before December 2021.
Cellular data service is provided by AT&T in the U.S. AT&T has written that its 3G service will terminate by February, 2022.

Deutsch100 said:
Once 3G is gone, in a year or less....us i3 owners will no longer be able to climatize our cars, check range/battery, lock/unlock doors, etc...
Apparently, only pre-LCI i3's (i.e., 2013 - 2017 models) will be affected. 2018 and later models include a 4G telematics module. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thank you alohart. Trying to find out if post LCI i3 did in fact get a 4G module update. Can't find anything yet. If you find it, please post and I will do the same. Thanks so much!

Back