Street names in Map are too small

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PTT

On my new 2020 BEV, the size of the street names in the Map are so small that they are hard to read. Zooming in, changing the map style or day/night mode doesn't do any good. On my 2014 & 2017 BEV's, I did not have this problem.

I spoke to someone on the BMW Genius line, and she did not know of a solution.

If anyone has noticed this, and come up with a solution, I would appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks.

Small screen or large screen? Full-screen mode or split-screen? Would that even have an impact?

Welcome to the forum, PTT!

alohart, PTT does say that he's had two i3s before so glasses are probably not what's at work here.

PTT, when the i3 got the 42kWh battery in 2019 it also got a revision in the iDrive software, trading the vertical list of menu items for a horizontally scrolling line of tiles. As an original owner of a 2014 i3, I don't care for the new style (I believe it's iDrive 7, but someone jump in if I've got that wrong).

I've not seen an accommodation for type size in newer BMWs so I'm not surprised that you're running up against a wall. You should definitely express your concern to BMW NA (it's old school, but when it's something that's important to me, I write a physical letter – email gets you nothing but a boilerplate reply).

Oh, one other thing you could do that might actually have some impact is to file a complaint with NHTSA:
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

If it's hard to read the nav screen then this very well may be a safety issue.

Thanks to all for the replies.

frictioncircle - I believe it is iDrive 6, but the version in the i3 does not have everything that iDrive 6 provides in other cars. In particular, it does not include the ability to see incoming text messages (with Android phone, in Notifications) (confirmed in a call to the BMW Genius line).

I did mention to the Genius I spoke to about submitting changes requested by owners. She probably did not do anything about that, so maybe I'll look into how I can submit a suggestion/request for a change. I would think it can be done through a software change.

Back