Windshield Wiper Fluid Sensor

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathanseney

Hi, I'm 2 weeks into my orange 2014 i3 REX ownership, and I'm really enjoying it so far! But I received a windshield wiper fluid (WWF) level alert a few days in so I dutifully went to the auto parts store and purchased a fresh bottle. I got home and got a funnel, popped the frunk, and started pouring fluid in the reservoir, which almost immediately began overflowing, and despite all that the car still continues to insist that the fluid level is low.

Presumably this is a sensor problem, and a bit of googling revealed that there are several reports of failed BMW WWF level sensors (and accusations that Rain-x can cause failures). Replacing the sensor seems like it would be straight forward, though it looks like the frunk box will need to come out to get to it, or even to really see the sensor itself. I've not had any luck finding a reliable source for the sensor online.

Has anyone else had this issue here? Does anyone know the part number?

Thanks!
Nathan

Is it this?
https://parts.germainbmw.com/oem-parts/bmw-level-sensor-61667381594?c=Zz1ib2R5JnM9d2lwZXItYW5kLXdhc2hlci1jb21wb25lbnRzJmw9MTImbj1Bc3NlbWJsaWVzIFBhZ2UmYT1ibXcmbz1pMyZ5PTIwMTgmdD1iYXNlJmU9ZWxlY3RyaWM%3D

I had a similar issue in my previous car and Rain-X was also the suspect, although I couldn't know for sure as it would have been the doing of the prior owner. Supposedly the coating it leaves behind can be cleaned although others post the Rain-X causes corrosion. I never bothered trying to remedy it because it wouldn't come on with a topped-up reservoir, but I'd definitely look up / try out some of the cleaning tips before installing a new one.

Back