Highest Mileage i3/REX?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Neil said:
Regarding replacing only the rear tires, you may want to read the following which I posted not long ago. The car's traction control system was not very happy.

https://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=17003&p=65450#p65450

I also posted the following details in the past about how mixing new and old tires affects the car:
https://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3783&start=40#p38869

More to the point of this topic, I have 73000 miles on my 2014 i3 Rex.

As of today (Feb. 28, 2021).....My 2014 i3/rex has 153,000 miles on it. Bought used in 2017 with 48,000. Top electric range at full is only 60 miles or so (eco pro +). All said, I have had no maintenance except a replacement 12v aux battery, front brake pads and tires and oil change. Daily commute of 100 miles.

thomas2go said:
As of today (Feb. 28, 2021).....My 2014 i3/rex has 153,000 miles on it. Bought used in 2017 with 48,000. Top electric range at full is only 60 miles or so (eco pro +). All said, I have had no maintenance except a replacement 12v aux battery, front brake pads and tires and oil change. Daily commute of 100 miles.

Nice! Thanks for sharing.

thomas2go said:

This is great! We're trying to decide whether to keep ours or not but this is encouraging, though the 60 mile charge is discouraging. What was it at it's best? Ours is 2017 and still 160ish full charge in hot weather.

I'm currently at 89K miles for a 2015 BMW i3 REX. Bought used in Sept 2017 at 20K miles and was doing 22K miles/year pre-covid. Since covid and remote work I'm down to 10K miles/year. Despite early dealer overcharges (see previous post), I really like the i3 as a city car (ie. I still do 150 miles/day on rare occasions). Plus coupled with solar, the fuel cost is zero at a time when even hybrids are paying $4.50/gal in places. Warranty has long expired so I'm encouraged to see guys well north of 153K miles on their i3 with no issues.

Todays date Jan 2023. Am based in Wales United Kingdom. My car BMW i3 is a 2014 60Ah Rex. This little Gem has just passed 211,000 miles (339,000 km). Car has been absolutely amazing so far. Still on original battery & a set of original factory brakes. Full BMW service history. In Winter I still get 60 miles + from battery. I use slow granny charger every night.

82,000 miles on my '66 plate 94Ahr Rex, and no appreciable sign of battery range degradation in the three years I've owned it. I still get 100-135miles winter to summer. Only charged up to 90% at home unless I need the maximum range, and rarely fast charged.
Battery kappa max still shows 27-28kwhrs winter to summer.

Todays date Jan 2023. Am based in Wales United Kingdom. My car BMW i3 is a 2014 60Ah Rex. This little Gem has just passed 211,000 miles (339,000 km). Car has been absolutely amazing so far. Still on original battery & a set of original factory brakes. Full BMW service history. In Winter I still get 60 miles + from battery. I use slow granny charger every night.
I absolutely love this!!! A total confirmation that I bought a Total Gem too!!!

My 2004 X5 “Original Bailey” just turned 241,000 miles a few months ago. No one believed it could last that long, but I did.

I bought my 2014 “Bailey I3” with only 27,000 miles on it in late November. He was at the dealership for a month and four days to get the CEL off. Finally the cause (electrical harness issue) was detected and harness replaced. Now Bailey I3 is all good for Me!!!

Cheers to Great BMWs, Great People and Great Miles!!! Congratulations 🎉

I bought a 2016 Rex in the middle of last November with 128k or so miles on it. Since then, it's done about 800 miles, and is granny charged about every ten days and the Rex tank filled up about once every 2-3 weeks. Absolutely over the moon with it, my first BMW.. in fact, the first time I've ever been in a BMW. I think mine is Tera spec, it's got the larger screen, leather upholstery, led door handles. It doesn't have acc or front parking sensors but it's so easy to manoeuvre. I've just recently fitted a PremiumRetrofit kit to get Android Auto on the big screen. As it involved taking the back seat out, there was strangely a load of glitter under there, a vacuuming job for another day. As the weather is starting to gently warm up, I've noticed the battery range estimates about 70-75 miles so it's been treated well before I bought it. The original owner was someone working at the Alphabet company for 3-4 years! I need to code a couple of things through OBDeleven like always start in Eco mode as it's primarily used for short commutes (I say short, about 5 miles in 50 minutes, Birmingham traffic is crazy). Love this car though. Starting it the first time for a test drive it was weird, with no noise at all. I only really hear the Rex when it's HSOC up a nearby hill.

The only thing I've found on it is the fuel filler flap doesn't open easily. I guess pressing the button in the drivers footwell should release the flap and it springs open like the EV flap? It does nothing and I have to fart about a bit getting my fingernail underneath to get it to release. I asked my local BMW dealership and they said they'd have to run a diagnostic on it. Is it a cheap/easy fix as I guess it might be a dud solenoid, or perhaps a not quite pushed in cable connection? Is it also a BMW UK recall item?

Pressing the fuel filler button in the driver footwell only vents the fuel vapors to the cannister. You still have to push on the edge of the fuel filler flap to unhook it and have it spring open. Miy 2015 REX often takes more than one push to unhook.

I bought a 2016 Rex in the middle of last November with 128k or so miles on it. Since then, it's done about 800 miles, and is granny charged about every ten days and the Rex tank filled up about once every 2-3 weeks. Absolutely over the moon with it, my first BMW.. in fact, the first time I've ever been in a BMW. I think mine is Tera spec, it's got the larger screen, leather upholstery, led door handles. It doesn't have acc or front parking sensors but it's so easy to manoeuvre. I've just recently fitted a PremiumRetrofit kit to get Android Auto on the big screen. As it involved taking the back seat out, there was strangely a load of glitter under there, a vacuuming job for another day. As the weather is starting to gently warm up, I've noticed the battery range estimates about 70-75 miles so it's been treated well before I bought it. The original owner was someone working at the Alphabet company for 3-4 years! I need to code a couple of things through OBDeleven like always start in Eco mode as it's primarily used for short commutes (I say short, about 5 miles in 50 minutes, Birmingham traffic is crazy). Love this car though. Starting it the first time for a test drive it was weird, with no noise at all. I only really hear the Rex when it's HSOC up a nearby hill.

The only thing I've found on it is the fuel filler flap doesn't open easily. I guess pressing the button in the drivers footwell should release the flap and it springs open like the EV flap? It does nothing and I have to fart about a bit getting my fingernail underneath to get it to release. I asked my local BMW dealership and they said they'd have to run a diagnostic on it. Is it a cheap/easy fix as I guess it might be a dud solenoid, or perhaps a not quite pushed in cable connection? Is it also a BMW UK recall item?
Can I assume you're in Birmingham, Alabama, [or ...] not B'ham UK?
I have a BEV, so tend to skip over talk of the Rex, but I know there are some problems with the pressure sensor for the fuel tank. (I think htey impact on getting it open) I read also it's advised not to fill the tank too far.
No doubt someone will be along to advise you further. :)

Can I assume you're in Birmingham, Alabama, [or ...] not B'ham UK?
I have a BEV, so tend to skip over talk of the Rex, but I know there are some problems with the pressure sensor for the fuel tank. (I think htey impact on getting it open) I read also it's advised not to fill the tank too far.
No doubt someone will be along to advise you further. :)
Safer to assume he is in the real Birmingham, as he mentions BMW UK in his post.

I had to chuckle at your:- "real" B'ham :)
Depends I think on the use of 'also' - I took to mean it's a recall in the US (but then I'm very literal... :( )

Sorry should have said, it's the real Birmingham with all the rain in the UK.
I didn't know the button inside only vented the fuel tank/line. The first thing that I tried was to push the fuel flap the same as the ev flap but when it wasn't opening at all? I tried the button inside and still nothing. Pressing the fuel flap in seemed to make it jam in a little further, and I didn't want to push so much that I wouldn't be able to get it open at all. Using a fingernail in the gap I'm able to gently prise it open and it then naturally springs open. Very odd. Sorry for any thread derailment. I was just mentioning it on the off chance anyone knew what it might be.

The "proper" procedure is to push the button to vent the vapors, then push on the end of the fuel flap to get it to spring open. John O'Malvern is correct though - there is an issue with the fuel pressure regulator. If it fails, it will not allow you to open the fuel filler flap until it is fixed. I've read it is not a difficult repair for someone reasonably handy. Or it could be that your filler flap just needs some lubrication?

John Francis
Rolla, MO

81,000 miles in a 2016 94ah, no rex.
Bought it with 4000 miles on it and have never serviced it bar a brake fluid change and a new pollen filter.
Brake pads will outlast the car.
Only issues I've had is the driver's heated seat trips after a few minutes until the next journey, front suspension gaiters perished, so just spray them with oil to stop any squeaks and passenger side front top suspension bearings had to be replaced. Still getting over 100 mile range.

108k miles on 2016 rex, replaced electric motor last year (bearings). Hope it lasts a few more years the resale value is fading off into the sunset.

2013 i3 - 92000 miles purely EV. Not electric. Longest trip was 600 miles over 3 days using level 2 charging. still has 80 miles of range on the battery down from 110 miles in the heydays. Takes on maybe 17 kWh of charge vs. 20.

Back