Windows and Sunroof Open Without Reason

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeithinEmberton

Last evening we experienced a lot of rain where I live. The car was charging late afternoon/early evening. When I went to the car this morning I noticed that the driver and passenger windows were fully lowered and the sunroof was open. When I looked at the charging unit I saw there were no lights on. On checking in the house I saw that the charger switch had tripped; it kicked in when reset. Has anyone else experienced this?
Thanks in anticipation!

In the little over a year that I've owned my i3 I've come out a couple of times to find a window down that I was sure that I left up. Hasn't happened for a few months now and I can't recall whether the car was on the charger at the time or not, let alone whether or not we had a power blip. I've been a bit nervous about it ever since though.

I've also noticed that if I am "bumping" the window switch a little at a time, to just lower the window a couple of inches, sometimes it gets upset and raises the window. Probably unrelated to the problem you are posting about, but perhaps it is another indication that the i3 windows can do strange things if power fluctuates...

It could just be that you accidentally pressed the unlock button on the fob. I found that that happened a bit too often and the solution (since I have comfort access on mine) was to buy the fob cover, and place the fob in it upside down - easy enough to do I found! ON the i3's fob, the unlock button is just too close to the edge, and combine that with maybe a bit more junk in your pocket, it's not all that hard to press the button. If you hold it long enough, it will lower the windows. Don't have a sunroof, so don't know if that can open as well. A single press just unlocks it, a long press and hold will lower the windows. The default setting for the vehicle is to relock the doors after 2-minutes if you don't open one, so it could remain locked when you come back.

Suspect if the fob has been in your pocket this can happen. I was washing cars a couple of weeks ago and it happened to me. Luckily caught it in time. If you hold unlock on the fob long enough it will wind down the windows and open the sunroof. In addition if you lock it it will close everything.

We have home charging hub on house, so if there''s a simple trip such as electrical surge this will stop the car charging.

One of the reasons I bought a Clipper Creek unit is that they specifically designed their box to restart if there was a power glitch that sometimes (not always) causes some boxes to need a reset to start charging again.

This happened to me whilst I way away for a week, same week as storm Frances. Not ideal. I am now driving around hearing water sloshing around the back of the car somewhere. The interior is now dry and not showing any sign of water, however the sloshing still persists. I cannot find the water, under the boot is not accessible and under the back seat is loads of cabling I do not want to go near. Does anyone know of any plugs or drains underneath that could potentially help get the water out.

largewood said:
I am now driving around hearing water sloshing around the back of the car somewhere. The interior is now dry and not showing any sign of water, however the sloshing still persists. I cannot find the water, under the boot is not accessible and under the back seat is loads of cabling I do not want to go near. Does anyone know of any plugs or drains underneath that could potentially help get the water out.
Several i3 owners have reported water sloshing around inside the square-section CFRP below the doors. Apparently, water can enter this area from a leaking windshield seal. The only fix I recall was drilling small drain holes in the bottom of the square-section CFRP.

Back