Flooded I3

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

largewood

I have water sloshing around the back of my I3 (none in the cabin) all dry. Sunroof automatically opened without my knowledge and in rained heavily for days. Sound like water is sloshing around the battery in the back. Is there a plug or drain I can use to get it out?

Well the "good thing" is the sealed battery is mounted to the frame, and the carbon fibre / plastic body is an entirely separate structure booted on to the frame.

So I say "good" because there's nothing much to rust out or corrode when water is trapped inside the body module, and the battery is completely isolated. (Actually, in some respect the battery is more exposed hanging low on the frame.)

I don't know the answer to your question about a drain plug, but get hold of a dehumidifier ASAP and get that car dried out before it starts stinking.

Bummer...

The black piece covering the rear of the hatch just lifts up from the floor. I'd take that out and see what you can see. You might just be able to soak that up with a sponge.

The interior electronics components (i.e., not those mounted outside or underneath) don't like to be soaked.

The only time I've had issues with things opening accidentally, have been when the buttons on the fob have been pressed because of the way it ends up in my pocket sometimes, especially if the pants are a little tighter than my normal stuff.

If it's underneath the rear seat, lots of electronics modules there. The seat is just held on with spring clips and the harder part is threading the seat belts in/out of their slots, but lift the front part of the rear seat up, and you can look in there and take the seat off if required. Putting it back, same idea, get the seat belts where they need to be, then with the back part in place, snap down the front of it to lock it in place.

The "floor" under the rear seat is raised by an inch or so relative to the floor at the rear passenger footwell, and the electronics are mounted on standoffs so they're not touching the insulation. So you'd have an obvious coy pond at your feet if there wss any water on the computers.

I have water sloshing around the back of my I3 (none in the cabin) all dry. Sunroof automatically opened without my knowledge and in rained heavily for days. Sound like water is sloshing around the battery in the back. Is there a plug or drain I can use to get it out?
Yes I have the same problem
There is a plug at the opening of the rear passenger jack

Opened the sides up today and a big surprise a dad rat was in there . I had to a major fix on the range extender 2 years ago . The dealer said the wiring was all eaten up cost 12000$ . Luckily it was covered by my home insurance . Now I know what it was it must have escaped into that area during the repairs and couldn’t get out anymore and died in there . I never smelt anything but it could have been not used for a few weeks .
Anyway found the drains and put in the wholes on the lowest point of the frame . There was more than one gallon of water in there. Now I have to reseal the windshield .Resized_Resized_20240226_115601_1708978420374_1708978421483.jpeg
View attachment 20240226_121307.mp4

Back