Fed up with my 94ah REX - 6 weeks!!

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I lived in El Paso, and have driven across TX, so I know the long distances between things.

My next vehicle, where I may sell both my i3 and GT, is likely to be the 2021 X5 hybrid. Enough EV range for 95% of my use, and a big enough engine and tank to pull a trailer or go a long distance anywhere I want without having to search for a charging station, or stopping every hour for a refill like on the REx. Travel at night, and you may not find a gas station open along the way in TX at the distance you really want one, and I'm not keen on carrying a gas can with me.

if there was a high demand for used 500e's, they would shoot up in price on the used market, and they would no longer be affordable. They are are fairly rare cars which are low in price due to extremely low demand.

:D You could almost say the same for the i3.

I'm not suggesting that the current used EV market is a permanent situation, though. Ten years from now, there will be a much larger supply of quality used EVs available,

The major problems are:
1) Electric cars are more expensive to build due to battery pack cost. (Chrysler claims they lose $10K on every Fiat 500e they sell).
2) Manufacturers throw a few electric & hybrid cars into their lineup for one major reason - to help them meet the fleet CAFE, EU fuel economy, and California zero emission requirements.
3) Dealers really don't want to sell electric cars - 50% of Dealer profit is from after-sales service, and electric cars on average require only 1/3rd the service of an ICE vehicle.

Electric cars sell and are in demand in a few small countries because of normal driving distances well within current battery range, extremely high gasoline prices, and a good public charging infrastructure. Denmark comes to mind as one.

In the USA, none of that exists to really drive heavy consumer interest and sales.

Battery packs are expensive, but getting cheaper on a daily basis. I am not necessarily buying into the "someday batteries will be perfect" idea, but the reality that batteries today are cheaper than a decade ago. They are also getting more powerful and while some companies are going with using that to get more range, we are very close to where that will equal keeping the same range with smaller batteries (thus lower cost). Also, you recoup some of that cost with the fuel savings.

For the most part you are right about the compliance point for many companies, though EV only companies like Tesla shoot holes in that and the way the I3 is made is NOT compliance but a paradigm shift, which I hope will be contagious.

Dealer will adjust and find other ways to make money. They originally made the most profit from the sale, when consumers became more savvy, they shifted to after-sale profit making, They will find a way....unless their days are numbered anyway. While I am not a Tesla fanboy, I feel the need to point out they are doing just fine and don't have any actual dealerships (in the traditional form).

They originally made the most profit from the sale, when consumers became more savvy, they shifted to after-sale profit making, They will find a way....unless their days are numbered anyway. While I am not a Tesla fanboy, I feel the need to point out they are doing just fine and don't have any actual dealerships (in the traditional form).

Tesla has been selling cars at a loss for years, burning through investor's capital. 2019 was the first year they made a slim profit, and then were only actually profitable the last quarter of 2019. There is a reason there are no independent Tesla dealerships - no way to pay for them to operate. Jury is still out on Tesla's long-term survival.

I think Tesla is here to stay. They are supported by the Tesla equivalent of the Apple syndrome. It almost doesn't matter what they do or what decisions they make or the design choices they go with, it's Tesla so it must be the best. Not saying they don't make good cars, nobody can touch them on overall performance or tech. However, only a Tesla fanboi could look at the interior of the Model 3 (and soon to be Y and Cybertruck) and think it's good. It's horrible, lazy and cheap design and the reason there is an i3 in my driveway instead of a model 3. If the model 3 had come with a Bolt interior and the Bolt had come with a model 3 interior the Tesla would have been praised and the Chevy would have been ripped apart. All my opinion of course, I'm sure Tesla fanbois would be insulted and if given the chance would explain why I'm wrong.

One big reason Tesla remains financially viable is because the other automakers are so slow to respond, and technologically are years behind. Tesla owns battery production and takes software development extremely seriously. These are things the major manufacturers have been happy to contract out.

But I don't equate this to Tesla being on stable ground. At the end of the day, a car is a commodity -- even when it's an EV -- and there's nothing Tesla is doing that a major couldn't do more efficiently, given time and proper attention. The longer this takes, the more time Tesla has to scale up and become long-term competitive. They're putting out a great product, but are still a blip when looking at global auto production as a whole.

eNate said:
One big reason Tesla remains financially viable is because the other automakers are so slow to respond, and technologically are years behind. Tesla owns battery production and takes software development extremely seriously. These are things the major manufacturers have been happy to contract out.

But I don't equate this to Tesla being on stable ground. At the end of the day, a car is a commodity -- even when it's an EV -- and there's nothing Tesla is doing that a major couldn't do more efficiently, given time and proper attention. The longer this takes, the more time Tesla has to scale up and become long-term competitive. They're putting out a great product, but are still a blip when looking at global auto production as a whole.

All true for today, but as you imply this may change in the very near future. People still have the "it's a Tesla so it must be better" attitude, and they are undeniably more aggressive in their tech, but the next few years could be interesting. Audi is coming on strong. The Mustang Mach-e looks fantastic. The Ford F150 is what, the second best selling vehicle in the world and number one in the US? Unless Ford screws it up an EV version is almost guaranteed to be a success. I have no doubt electric Jaguars and Porsches will be taking huge chunks out of the Models S sales. GM still has the Bolt, the upcoming GMC Hummer truck (reveal coming later this month), and who knows what else they are working on. Kia, Hyundai Fiat and lets not forget about BMW... In the world of automakers, Tesla is a tech company that happens to make niche vehicles. As a company I'm sure they have a bright future, but I just don't see them taking over the the auto industry. I see them more as a specialty niche player who may license tech and provide batteries, motors, etc. to the big names.

Mine has changed my life. For the better. I have done two return road trips along the Hume hwy in Oz (1100km each way) and have adapted my practices and expectations to make the most of the REX v strategic charging points along the way.
I get odd looks from service-station (gas station) operators when I pay $11Au for a full tank and a 10L jerry-can fill!🤗🤗🤗
I am saving $$$$$$$😍😍😍. Feeling quite smug and I've just clocked up a full year with my REX.
NO REGRETS! 😉

Mine has changed my life. For the better. I have done two return road trips along the Hume hwy in Oz (1100km each way) and have adapted my practices and expectations to make the most of the REX v strategic charging points along the way.
I get odd looks from service-station (gas station) operators when I pay $11Au for a full tank and a 10L jerry-can fill!🤗🤗🤗
I am saving $$$$$$$😍😍😍. Feeling quite smug and I've just clocked up a full year with my REX.
NO REGRETS! 😉

AWESOME !! Couldn't agree with you more. I think the i3 has made me a better driver. I'm much more aware when I'm driving, and I love the fact that I can just plug in when I get home and chill. The REX is a great backup for EV driving, but most of the time I don't really use it that much.

Geodude said:
NO REGRETS! 😉

AWESOME !! Couldn't agree with you more. I think the i3 has made me a better driver. I'm much more aware when I'm driving, and I love the fact that I can just plug in when I get home and chill. The REX is a great backup for EV driving, but most of the time I don't really use it that much.

The Rex option on the i3 is brilliant. More automakers should have this. It gets people into an EV, but removes all "range anxiety". I am on i3S Rex #2, and honestly I drive in pure EV mode 99% of the time, but Rex removes the stress of the what ifs (huge traffic jam, earthquake....)

Nov 2018 where we live in So. Cal, we experienced a devastating wildfire (Woolsey fire). It burned down 50 homes in our little neighborhood alone (and 1000s more in other local areas). We were evacuated for a week and many parts of the neighborhood had no power for 2 weeks. Those with pure EVs could not charge. Hybrid EVs and partial hybrid EV....we could use our cars. LOVE Rex!!

Back