i3 being seen as Ugly

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a 2000 in the 60s in Colorado. It was a big brother to the 2002 with 4 doors and big comfortable seats. It was the only 2000 I ever saw. It was just what the dealer happened to have. It was a bit awkward looking. Best clutch of any car I have ever owned.

Long time without BMW between the 2000 and the I3 I bought this year.

Fisher99 wrote:

And on 2 occasions a stranger has actually said that they think it looks great and they really like the looks. This happened just last week in the bank drive through Where a lady rolled down her window and got my attention to ask what it was and to say that she loved it. Fortunately my wife was with me this time, as she didn't believe me when I told her about it the previous time. But she still thinks it's ugly... :D

That's a great story :lol:

Wow, old thread...

The i3 is ugly. Period. We call ours the Turd because it looks so bad. It's also fun to drive and great for anything short of a long trip or Home Depot run. None of that changes the fact that it's a fugly car.

It's no uglier than the hoards of characterless suvs out there.

kentheteaman said:
Dear Tom,

I know some people view i3 as ugly, unsightly or weird.

Personally I think it is a good looking car in "Andeset silver color with its black hood".
big.php

Other colors do not serve it well and they kind of make it look odd or may be ugly except the very dark grey which almost looks black as seen here

It is the double color that makes it odd. It will look much better in single colour both body and hood.

So I wonder if you could speak to BMW people and convince them to supply the hood in different colors to match the body color so that if people want they can buy it as spare and change the hood to body color.

Just a thought. :idea:

regards,
ken

"Ugly" has to be referenced in context -- or at least relative to something.

Google image search "ugly car" and you'll see what I mean. FYI I had to type in "quirky car" to get an i3 to pop up.

There are a lot of Tesla mod 3's around here. Every time I see one coming, my first impression is that it is just another cheap Japanese cookie-cutter economy car coming at me. All Teslas are boring, and with the exception of the Mod 3 are at the very bottom of the quality range, I would much rather have my beautifully-built I3 which I consider striking. I feel good every time I see it.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There are a lot of men and women out there that think their partners are beautiful. That isn't the way others may view them. Same with a vehicle.

Love offbeat, whimsical auto designs! I drove a Z3 Coupe as second vehicle for a few years, so my affection for i3 aesthetics is unsurprising.

Other peoples disliking of them, for one reason or another, are the reasons they're a bargain used :D . People who enjoy driving and care about the engineering & lightweight construction appreciate them. I hope BMW go on to make something similar, using a lightweight construction.

I think they look 'interesting' and heading towards becoming a classic. It's great that in a time where BMW's and cars in general are getting bigger and heavier, BMW came out with an EV containing heavy batteries that's lighter than probably all of their ICE model range. It's a quality product too.

I have more interest in my BMW I 3 than my 911 and 944 than figure out people hate a look bc they can afford this car this is a reason is the best city car ever

Neat little 3-wheeler, but why, oh why are there 3-pedals. Why would they need or have a clutch on an electric car?

@Pahaska I saw that too lol I have absolutely no idea. It was 2010 and the spokesperson did say he wanted people to feel comfortable with the vehicle.
On the upside ... look how far we have come? Nowadays if a car comes without power seats and a full suite of self-driving 'light' capabilities the vehicle is dismissed out of hand. I'm old enough to remember when air con was optional. And you could get it, aftermarket, ice cubes in a bucket with a fan. Oh, and radios were an option too.

Did I mention that an ICE never really made it to 100k miles? If you had 60k miles on the odometer it was well past time to have it replaced.

My 1st ICE was a 1959 Cadillac sedan devil for 25 bucks (dollars in old money) and gas was 18 cents per gallon. My father was soo upset when it reached 35 cents that he declared "Dana Edward one of these days it is going to hit 50 cents!"

I think he would have opted for our electric choices, even the ugly, practical, and fun to drive one that we have the option to drive today ;)

It comes with a radio, aircon, and it cost 10 cents every 4 miles.. not too shabby.

Cheers!

Back