Charging time household plug

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KrisM said:
@Geodude why not just code your car that REX can start from 75% ? that is much easier :)

I was so scared to code my 2019 i3S Rex and just as scared to code my 2020 i3S Rex. I took the plunge yesterday. I already had a Veepeak OBD plug and I bought the $30 Bimmercode app for my iPhone. I was beyond terrified, but I coded my Rex in about 5 mins (or less).

I did watch 2-3 youtube videos first, and that helped a lot and let me know what to expect, especially when the infotainment screen goes black when resetting the ECU.

CODE your i3. It is amazing!!! Other uses are right...Bimmercode is SO easy, but yes...stay out of expert mode!!!!

If you buy a plug-in EVSE, make sure that the socket and associated wiring supporting it are sufficient for the EVSE you choose. The common dryer plug is rated at 50A, but they allow it to be used on a 40A circuit. So, if you only looked at the socket, you cannot assume it is a 50A circuit. Given the derating requirement of 80%, that 50A socket may only have 40A wiring, and could only safely support a 32A max EVSE.

There are only a few EVSEs out there that will allow you to adjust them so that they tell the attached vehicle they have less power available that might allow you to use a larger EVSE on a smaller circuit. Most of them are fixed and not user selectable.

KrIsM Wrote:

I was so scared to code my 2019 i3S Rex and just as scared to code my 2020 i3S Rex. I took the plunge yesterday. I already had a Veepeak OBD plug and I bought the $30 Bimmercode app for my iPhone. I was beyond terrified, but I coded my Rex in about 5 mins (or less).

I did watch 2-3 youtube videos first, and that helped a lot and let me know what to expect, especially when the infotainment screen goes black when resetting the ECU.

CODE your i3. It is amazing!!! Other uses are right...Bimmercode is SO easy, but yes...stay out of expert mode!!!!

Well KrisM, I took the plunge and finally coded my i3 the other day. Your right it is "Amazing" and I'm glad that I ended up coding my i3. I was nervous as well, but the VeePeak OBD and Bimmercode app made it really easy. Thanks for your input KrisM - Happy Holidays :mrgreen:

Geodude said:
Well KrisM, I took the plunge and finally coded my i3 the other day. Your right it is "Amazing" and I'm glad that I ended up coding my i3. I was nervous as well, but the VeePeak OBD and Bimmercode app made it really easy. Thanks for your input KrisM - Happy Holidays :mrgreen:

You're welcome and I'm glad you did well with the coding, happy holidays

Back