i3 Weight

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetbird

HI,

What is the i3 weight with the 60 / 94 / 120 AH battery in the US? (without the REx)

Thanks,

Jeff

There's variability, but from evspecifications.com 2,635 / 2,744 / 2,965 lbs. is representative of other figures I've seen. For instance, I've seen 2,918 for 2017, and 3,040 for 2019 non-S models.

2014 was the lightest compared to 2015, also 60Ah. There were small obvious changes, like the motor mounts and the motor bay cover. When the sunroof became available, that also deleted the carbon fiber roof panel. Interior and wheel options also affect weight. In 2019 the heat pump became optional, and I don't know whether that's reflected in the figure I cited above.

eNate said:
There's variability, but from evspecifications.com 2,635 / 2,744 / 2,965 lbs. is representative of other figures I've seen. For instance, I've seen 2,918 for 2017, and 3,040 for 2019 non-S models.

2014 was the lightest compared to 2015, also 60Ah. There were small obvious changes, like the motor mounts and the motor bay cover. When the sunroof became available, that also deleted the carbon fiber roof panel. Interior and wheel options also affect weight. In 2019 the heat pump became optional, and I don't know whether that's reflected in the figure I cited above.

When I had my 2019 i3S, the heat pump was an option (very cheap too, at around $200-300). For 2020 i3, is the heat pump standard or was it deleted? Build your own for 2020, never offered the heat pump as an option. I cannot find a definitive answer is 2020 is is heat pump equipped.

I was bummed when I put a flashlight on my roof, and saw it is no longer carbon fiber. That was super cool. I guess it was to save money deleting the CF roof panel.

I don't know about the heat pump (or its weight penalty). When I was shopping the Niro last year, the heat pump was rare, only available in the northwest and northeast. Not sure if it's a cost, weight, necessity, or warranty decision by BMW to exclude it.

Does your non-CF roof have a sunroof?

Deutsch100 said:
For 2020 i3, is the heat pump standard or was it deleted? Build your own for 2020, never offered the heat pump as an option. I cannot find a definitive answer is 2020 is is heat pump equipped.
The current BMW USA Build Your Own Website indicates that the heat pump option costs $150 for a 2020 i3 BEV. It is categorized as a Performance Option.

The CFRP roof on most i3s probably saves money over stamping a steel one as it's made out of scraps from building the body. At least in the USA, federal regulations require metal around a sunroof. This is one reason why we did not get that option here for the first several years...the petition to allow it in the CFRP roof (which is actually stronger) was rejected and they had to design the steel one.

I don't know about other years, but my US 2019 with sun roof has a CFRP roof. I was sure that it did by thumping on it, but I just checked it with a very strong magnet. There is definitely no steel there. Other years may vary.

It would be aluminum, not steel. In non-US sunroof-equipped models, the i3 is sold with a CFRP roof. Maybe something has changed, but you would definitely see the carbon fiber weave in the reflection under the right lighting conditions if yours is CFRP.

Back