i3 Replacement Remote

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
smar said:
In case anyone comes across this thread looking for help on how to program in a new i3 key, it CAN be done by yourself without going to the dealer. I have just coded a replacement key using the following process (given to me by my dealer over the phone):

1. Unlock the car with an original key
2. Leave the original key somewhere far away from the car, so that the car does not detect it
3. Place the new key horizontally, pointing to the printed key symbol on the steering column. Note that I found placing the key flat against the steering column did not work - I had to have the top of the key pointing towards the key symbol on the steering column and the key held horizontally.
4. Press and hold the start button (no need to press the brake). It takes a few seconds, but then the message on the speedometer display shows that remote has been found etc.

Hope that helps.

For the record, this process worked for me with a brand new key. No problems

Thanks!

Worked for me, also. The dealer had only one keyfob when I took possession of the I3. It took less than a week for them to gt a second fob. It took just seconds to get the car to register the new fob. Big thing is to get the original fob well away when you do it.

smar said:
In case anyone comes across this thread looking for help on how to program in a new i3 key, it CAN be done by yourself without going to the dealer. I have just coded a replacement key using the following process (given to me by my dealer over the phone):

1. Unlock the car with an original key
2. Leave the original key somewhere far away from the car, so that the car does not detect it
3. Place the new key horizontally, pointing to the printed key symbol on the steering column. Note that I found placing the key flat against the steering column did not work - I had to have the top of the key pointing towards the key symbol on the steering column and the key held horizontally.
4. Press and hold the start button (no need to press the brake). It takes a few seconds, but then the message on the speedometer display shows that remote has been found etc.

Hope that helps.

Did that activate comfort access or do you need to press buttons on the remote to lock and unlock the car?

I replaced my 2018 i3s FOB with no issues from https://www.thebmwminipartstore.com/

It worked on the first try! Fast reliable service and saved me 200 bucks! Dealership wanted 600. The total cost of replacement was 365.00 with the key.

Part Number Part Name Price Quantity Total
66-12-6-805-984 I3 Key Fob $280.85 1 $280.85
51-21-7-393-289 I3 Integrated Key $49.78 1 $49.78

Subtotal: $330.63
Estimated Shipping to 37379 via Economy Shipping: $3.18
Tax: $30.87
Total: $364.68

Back