Embarrassed by the horn?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well a proximity warning noise is going to become required by legislation in Europe next year, so enjoy the silence while you can......I believe it has to be active up to approx 30kph after that tyre noise is loud enough to warn pedestrians.

No idea what's happening over the pond though.

Boxbrownie said:
So far, the matter is somewhat self correcting (and not in a good way). Nissan and Toyota have proactively installed annoying noisemakers as standard features in order to ward off litigation.

Until insurance scam artists in the USA figure out they can collect an easy couple hundred grand by hopping on an i3 hood at a stop sign, we'll continue to enjoy the serenity of quiet driving. Unfortunately, once the settlement costs reach a tipping point, BMW will make the noisemaker a standard feature here as well. No need for ridiculous laws, when ridiculous legal settlements will do.

The device can easily be disabled by disconnecting one or two speaker wires. I will not do so, however, as such an intentional act would almost surely transfer the bulk of the liability from the manufacturer to myself. I've learned to live with the annoying noise.

ultraturtle said:
Boxbrownie said:
So far, the matter is somewhat self correcting (and not in a good way). Nissan and Toyota have proactively installed annoying noisemakers as standard features in order to ward off litigation.

Until insurance scam artists in the USA figure out they can collect an easy couple hundred grand by hopping on an i3 hood at a stop sign, we'll continue to enjoy the serenity of quiet driving. Unfortunately, once the settlement costs reach a tipping point, BMW will make the noisemaker a standard feature here as well. No need for ridiculous laws, when ridiculous legal settlements will do.

The device can easily be disabled by disconnecting one or two speaker wires. I will not do so, however, as such an intentional act would almost surely transfer the bulk of the liability from the manufacturer to myself. I've learned to live with the annoying noise.
In that case your definitely a country in need of fitment of dashcams, they already do this almost universally in Russia for that very reason (although no doubt the insurance claim limit is somewhat less than that would be levied in the US :cool: ) but some of the footage is laughably idiotic, literally as you say people launching themselves onto hoods of stationary vehicles!

Then again you can always negate any claim buy reversing over the claimant a few times :D

BMW4Me said:
OK, is it just me or do others also feel that the horn sounds like that used by a circus clown? Come on now, I've owned BMWs for years! This is the best they could come up with for their latest technology forward vehicle?

I picked up my i3 a couple of weeks ago and used the horn for the first time today. It seems pretty loud and like my previous 3 series in obtrusiveness. Maybe BMW listened to the complaints and changed it to a better horn.

Hi, I was embarrassed too, so I decided to mount my old (bought in 2016 in Germany for my pimped VW Touran) Hornblasters Schocker XL in my EV. :p Now it is really funny, when I have to warn someone with the horn. :cool: :lol:
My BMW i3s became on the street much stronger with it. :mrgreen:

No, the horn doesn't embarrass me at all. I really don't even use it. I just yell at people when the windows down. Now that's embarrassing!! :lol:

Geodude said:
No, the horn doesn't embarrass me at all. I really don't even use it. I just yell at people when the windows down. Now that's embarrassing!! :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:

The thing that annoys me about the horn is the slight delay before it actually sounds. This is a function of low priority of the CANBUS channel it is on, I think. The horn 'button' is telling the computer via a serial message to turn on the horn which then sends another signal to the horn to activate. That all used to be a simple switch (and maybe a relay), but all of the switches in the vehicle are now essentially indirect, and talk to computers.

BMW4Me said:
OK, is it just me or do others also feel that the horn sounds like that used by a circus clown? Come on now, I've owned BMWs for years! This is the best they could come up with for their latest technology forward vehicle?

It's just a simple single tone horn. There's nothing fancy about horns... just that nice sounding horns have two tones.

Has anyone found a replacement horn that’s a little more BMWish? I agree it’s the most wimpy horn I’ve ever heard.

Back