3 rear seats option

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SweetChilli

As a family with three children, i3 is not available option for us, because it doesn’t have 3 usable seats in the back. It would have been an ideal car for school runs as daily I clock up around 20miles and we feel very guilty for all theCO2 released by these journeys, but large plug in SUVs are not an option for our finances... why, when most of the cars, even smaller sized ones, come with three seats in the back as a standard option, there is no such availability for i3? Believe it or not, it’s not just single drivers or childless couples who would be interested in this car...

The i3 was built for the Average suburban/urban commuter. Nothing more and nothing less

50km of drive every day (30 miles)
1.59 - 1.93 Children

You are unfortunately not the standard use case for this car. The i3 is not a multi purpose vehicle. It's a single purpose.

Look for the i3X or the iX. If they follow the trajectory of the i3 you can afford those in 3 years.

Do you hate front wheel drive cars like I do? If not, go buy a Chevy Bolt. No REX option, but much better range, seating for 5, real rear doors, and it's still a small hatchback. I wouldn't try to chase anyone away from an i3, but with 3 kids something like a Bolt (or maybe Leaf???) is just a better option.

I agree and think it would be awfully simple to have available a rear bench option with a middle seat. Adding an extra seat belt and headrest would need to be worked out, but the i3's flat floor really makes it ideal space for transporting a third rear passenger.

It's a cop out to dismiss this as "it's not designed for that; it's a city car." FFS they crammed a freaking 300 lb. gasoline generator in there that most owners rarely use. I mean really, think about that for a minute. I live in the city and my father in law lives with us and our two kids — an extra seat would occasionally be useful. I know plenty of 3 kid families that will would appreciate this as an option.

Not only would a middle seat NOT compromise the intended mission of the i3 in any way, having a pull-down arm rest with a tiny bit of storage and cup holders would be preferable to the plastic insert when carrying one or two passengers in back.

...and while we're at it roof rack hard points!

eNate said:
I agree and think it would be awfully simple to have available a rear bench option with a middle seat. Adding an extra seat belt and headrest would need to be worked out, but the i3's flat floor really makes it ideal space for transporting a third rear passenger.

It's a cop out to dismiss this as "it's not designed for that; it's a city car." FFS they crammed a freaking 300 lb. gasoline generator in there that most owners rarely use. I mean really, think about that for a minute. I live in the city and my father in law lives with us and our two kids — an extra seat would occasionally be useful. I know plenty of 3 kid families that will would appreciate this as an option.

I agree with you. A 3rd seat would be a great option. Yet for rather skinny and small people.

I'm a Bavarian Engineer just wanted to let you know why it probably was decided that way. I don't work for BMW but I know how my fellow engineers think.
It's still a amazes me that the i3/i8 made it from a concept car "Project i" to a mass produced vehicle, without significant changes.

I can’t imagine how you’d be able to squeeze anyone other than my toddler in the middle... but of course he needs a seat so even that doesn’t work.

Back