Door reflectors falling out; airco fails

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwind

By opening the door at the driver side, the red reflector fell out. Two days later the same happened at the passenger side.
Also my airco doesn't work - will be repaired, I hope, in two days.

By opening the door at the driver side, the red reflector fell out. Two days later the same happened at the passenger side.

I have had exactly the same problem -- both reflectors broke. There is clearly a design bug in this part. Would anyone like to take a guess on what BMW charges for this $.15 piece of plastic that fails? $40. Each. This is really absurd. I had doubts about buying a BMW because of the reputation of the company for over-charging for parts and service, as well as the standard porcupine/BMW jokes. But the i3 struck me as a real step into the future and the company seems to be trying to be environmentally responsible, something about which I care a great deal. But $40 for a 1"x2" piece of plastic that looks like it came out of a Cracker Jack box? I'm not paying for it, because the car is under warranty, but it still infuriates me.

donallen said:
I have had exactly the same problem -- both reflectors broke. There is clearly a design bug in this part. Would anyone like to take a guess on what BMW charges for this $.15 piece of plastic that fails? $40. Each. This is really absurd. I had doubts about buying a BMW because of the reputation of the company for over-charging for parts and service, as well as the standard porcupine/BMW jokes. But the i3 struck me as a real step into the future and the company seems to be trying to be environmentally responsible, something about which I care a great deal. But $40 for a 1"x2" piece of plastic that looks like it came out of a Cracker Jack box? I'm not paying for it, because the car is under warranty, but it still infuriates me.

Well it's more like $20: http://www.jakesweeneybmwparts.com/p/BMW_2013_i3-RexAutomatic/Cover--cowl-with-reflector/59771513/51417322094.html

...Which still seems high, but it's not quite as bad as $40. Be careful with some dealer parts prices, as they're often happy to mark them up by 100%. There are plenty of dealers that are happy to sell parts at a reasonable discount, but they may not be local.

same here in Perth Western Australia
Auto Classic waiting for the parts, 2 weeks so far
on back order, no stock in Germany allegedly

http://forums.aeva.asn.au/forums/i3-dodgy-red-door-reflectors_topic4618.html

I can now join this group of broken door reflectors. First it was the left door, which I figured was a freak occurrence. I was at the dealer recently and asked if the reflector was covered under warranty. The service supervisor said no since it was broken (isn't that what warranties are for?). No big deal, I thought, as it looked like a $5 part. So I walked over to the parts counter and found it was about $35. I said no way, figuring I could order it online much cheaper. Then yesterday the right door reflector broke and fell out. What is up with such a a seemingly simple part?

I have to go back to the dealer to pick up a part that I ordered, and will be a little more assertive this time about the warranty coverage now that both reflectors have failed, and knowing that I'm not the only one.

Sorry for reviving this 5-6 years old thread, but my passenger side reflector fell out today. One of the tabs is broken and it won't stay in place. Anyone find an alternative or workaround to the OEM piece? I feel like I can get some double sided tape and stick it on. As people have mentioned, the reflector feels like it costs less than the tape I'd use to stick it back on. Heck, i might just try something like this https://www.amazon.com/Blazer-B178SRW-Rectangular-Stick-Reflector/dp/B004L0AC5I

oldman42 said:
One of the tabs is broken and it won't stay in place. Anyone find an alternative or workaround to the OEM piece? I feel like I can get some double sided tape and stick it on.
Several months ago, I preemptively removed both reflectors and used silicone cement to glue them on. They haven't fallen off yet.

My driver's door reflector fell out the other day. I glued the broken catch back on and it fell out again a couple of days later. At this point, I resorted to a spot of glue at each corner.

Back