Rear-Fog Switch Retrofit (U.S. i3s)

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I asked them about it, they said that they don't sell everything that is in their parts database. At least at the time, when I specifically asked, they said they did not sell that switch. I did change the switch on my GT long time ago, and it was plug and play...the i3 requires some coding changes for it to work, if you do get one. Things may have changed in the interim...

I've been wanting rear fogs on all my US-spec BMW's for ages. Buying the correct switch is easy. Coding is the deal breaker for me since I have yet to find a place or person who can do it successfully/reliably for me. I hope someone would come up with a solution for this.

Meanwhile, for those attempting to activate the rear fog, please ONLY activate one side (driver's side), so as not to confuse other road users that you're hitting your brakes - which makes it worse for safety in a foggy situation.

I know certain UK-standard cars (Jaguar, Land Rover, Mini, UK Fords) run their rear fogs on both sides. While it's "more balanced" looking, it's just too bright and can even mask your actual brake/signal lights because of its brightness.

Snowie said:
Meanwhile, for those attempting to activate the rear fog, please ONLY activate one side (driver's side), so as not to confuse other road users that you're hitting your brakes - which makes it worse for safety in a foggy situation.

I know certain UK-standard cars (Jaguar, Land Rover, Mini, UK Fords) run their rear fogs on both sides. While it's "more balanced" looking, it's just too bright and can even mask your actual brake/signal lights because of its brightness.

Yes thank you!! 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

websterize said:
Coding 3068 NSL_Verbaut activated only the icon in the instrument cluster; all bumper lights remained dark. But adding 3064 > Mapping_Nebelschluss turned on bulb 5, which BMW designates as turn signals. These flash as the emergency lights when the trunk is open. The brightness of bulb 5 is similar to the tail light (1). Until I can figure out how to activate bulb 7, these will do.

In my years of living in UK, Europe, Asia, Canada and America, I have never seen any BMWs with BOTH rear fog lights activated from the factory.
This is just a theory, maybe if you DON'T try to activate BOTH lights? Just activate the one on driver's side?

I activated them on my E91 many years ago with the switch modification and it made both rear fogs come on. I didn’t have any way to deactivate one of them (probably could have with a coding software) but I figured as long as I used them properly then having two wasn’t an issue. Plus Audi’s and Olds Auroras in NA have dual fogs so it’s not unusual here since there’s no mandate for them nor is there any education for drivers on what they are or how to use them.

If you really need fog lights, having both on is a good thing, IMHO. Problem is, many people just seem to run around with them on all of the time, especially those on the front (not available on the i3 unless you add some). I just look at the cars in front. When I have trouble seeing their taillights, I turn my fog lamps on, and as things clear up, turn them off. On a trip, that may mean doing it multiple times. All part of being aware of the conditions. In most cases, running around town in stop and go traffic, they aren't often that useful. If they are, and it blinds someone behind, they're following too closely, anyway!

I don't know if the control logic is there to only turn one of them on. In my GT, the logic was already in the vehicle...all I had to do was swap the switch. The message will still go out on the i3, but the central processor, or whichever one that decodes it, isn't programmed out of the factory to respond. Since I tend not to drive my i3 when the weather is bad enough to make rear fog lights useful, I didn't buy a new switch for it to enable the function.

all,

Glad I found this forum. I brought my 2014 I3 back to Germany from the US and have not 'officially' had it on the road yet due to the need for a rear fog light.

I have installed the European switch (from an Ebay UK supplier) and all works except the fog lights.

The BMW dealers here are worse than no help, they want to try to stop me from registering it!! I have had it inspected, and the only thing I need to register it is the functioning rear fog lights.

I am trying to find a 3rd party repair place that has the Bimmer software so they can turn it on.

Please can someone provide the code that I can take in to get it turned on?

Thanks!

Have you tried asking on (or searching) the BMW i3 Worldwide group on facebook (assuming you are on FB)? It's probably the best resource online for i3's (nothing against this forum, its been great too, just not as much traffic).

silvercoinboy said:
I am trying to find a 3rd party repair place that has the Bimmer software so they can turn it on.

Thanks!

Just buy a Bluetooth OBD Dongle (40 euro) - spend the money on the BimmerCode (30-40 euro) software and do it yourself.
It's fairly easy.

Front Electronic Module (FEM_01)

- select the Option "Fog lights deactivation"
- change it to activated

hit Code and that should it be. Let us know

silvercoinboy said:
... the only thing I need to register it is the functioning rear fog lights. ... Please can someone provide the code that I can take in to get it turned on?

You might be able to fool the inspector by implementing the settings in the first post of this thread. I say fool because those settings activate an adjacent LED in the rear LED bank in the bumper, not the actual rear-fog LED as designated by BMW. (See page 3 of this thread for a BMW diagram showing LED assignment.) As far as I know, you can activate only the driver side LED in the coding setting, which should help with the registration. I opted to activate both sides for my rear-fogs.

Forum member "eXodus" is correct that BimmerCode is an intuitive way to adjust these settings. However, the Front Electrontic Module doesn't exist in the i3. FEM is a legacy controller from the out-of-production 3-Series (factory code F30). BMW replaced it with the Body Domain Controller (BDC) module, which controls all of the car's lighting. Look for "BDC_Body" in the software.

viel Glück!

silvercoinboy said:
all,

Glad I found this forum. I brought my 2014 I3 back to Germany from the US and have not 'officially' had it on the road yet due to the need for a rear fog light.

I have installed the European switch (from an Ebay UK supplier) and all works except the fog lights.

The BMW dealers here are worse than no help, they want to try to stop me from registering it!! I have had it inspected, and the only thing I need to register it is the functioning rear fog lights.

Thanks!

I just did the codes but need the switch now
Let me know if you still need help as I have the coding now.

Hi all!

This is my first post, and I'll ask that you forgive its length, but I wanted to be thorough...

I recently replaced part number 61319865815 (no rear fog light button) with part number 61319865812 (rear fog light button) and completed the following actions using BimmerCode in Expert Mode which, as described in this thread, activated rear fog light function using the bulb 5 location.

3068 > NSL_Verbaut Set to: verbaut
3064 > Mapping_Nebelschlussl_L_output Set to: nsl_l
3064 > Mapping_Nebelschlussl_L_Function Set to: nebelschlusslicht
3064 > Mapping_Nebelschlussl_R_output Set to: nsl_r
3064 > Mapping_Nebelschlussl_R_Function Set to: nebelschlusslicht

While I am pleased to have the rear fogs functioning (mostly just because I like toying around and seeing what can be done), I am now running into a bit of a snag. The following two errors are consistent:

030351 – Steering column switch cluster (SZL) (LIN): wrong variant
Incorrect control unit variant
The version of the slave control unit does not match the encoding in the master control unit.

D90D16 – Control unit light (BEL) (LIN): wrong variant installed
Incorrect light switch variant installed.

More info is available here: https://bmwfault.codes/

Now obviously my car, a US spec 2018 BMW i3 REx, is upset about this new light switch as is the associated control unit in the steering column, perhaps simply because I've installed/activated a European option on a US spec vehicle. While everything does still function without issue, I would prefer to have everything coded properly if possible as well as continuing to try to find a solution to illuminating bulb 7 rather than bulb 5 as the functioning rear fogs.

I most often use a VEEPEAK BLE+ with BimmerCode and BimmerLink to do the easier work, but I do also have E-Sys 3.33.4 and an ENET cable. I have not been able to acquire LauncherPro 3.7.0 as FXX Tokenmaster seems to be off the scene and I have not yet purchased an ESysX license as I’m not sure it’s totally necessary given my limited needs.

Is there anyone who might provide some insight into the above, either in how I might address the issues on my own, or in identifying who I might be able to contact for assistance?

I would be most grateful.

Hello,
Have anyone successfully coded lights for US > EU?
I have bought button, activated via code, but its number 5 that lit up.
and maybe anyone knows how to disable two side lights in rear bumper? I can disconnect cables, but would like to just code them off.

Update:
Friend has EU i3, copied light setup from it(code)
Had to buy EU lights, as US version has red turn signals.
Had to change 2 pins and everything works.

So it seems the problem is that we need
To switch the actual lights to the European market ones and that way with the coding through BimmerCode and the new eu switch, that will sort out the issue and have the fog lights work properly?

janisg said:
Hello,
Have anyone successfully coded lights for US > EU?
I have bought button, activated via code, but its number 5 that lit up.
and maybe anyone knows how to disable two side lights in rear bumper? I can disconnect cables, but would like to just code them off.

Update:
Friend has EU i3, copied light setup from it(code)
Had to buy EU lights, as US version has red turn signals.

Had to change 2 pins and everything works.

Would you mind posting the light setup and which two pins you had to change? Or maybe a process so we can all do it properly? Thanks

"Hi.

This is probably my only post, but I hope it will be helpful to many, as I searched for a long time and couldn't find an answer.
Regarding the coding of lights number 7, it is simple to do. Where there are two options to choose from, nsl_l/r and rfs_l/r, you should select your own value and enter it. For the left light, it will be 0x1A, and for the right one, 0x1B. In the same way, I changed the lights of the tailgate to white lights: 0x1E (L) and 0x1F (R).

It works.

noExpertBMW said:
It works.

After nine years, it works ... it finally works! Thank you, "noExpertBMW". I promise to use them responsibly. :D

Here are the rear-fog settings for the BDC_BODY module that illuminate lights number 7, the proper one:
Code:
3064 > Mapping_Nebelschlussl_L_output Set to custom value: 0x1A
3064 > Mapping_Nebelschlussl_R_output Set to custom value: 0x1B

In addition to the coding, North American i3 models also need the Euro light switch with the rear fog button. The one I'm using is part 61319311723, but it has likely been superseded by another part number.

Source: BMW i3 rear light mapping

40098738663_c583af07fe_o.png]

I got the switch 61319865812, did that coding thru bimmercode. Rear fog works, instrument cluster has no faulty warning lights, just the rear fog icon. But I do have the fault code D90D16 popped up, and the dimmer switch no longer change the brightness of the screens, only the button brightness can be changed. Anyone has any ideas on what caused that.

After nine years, it works ... it finally works! Thank you, "noExpertBMW". I promise to use them responsibly. :D

Here are the rear-fog settings for the BDC_BODY module that illuminate lights number 7, the proper one:
Code:
3064 > Mapping_Nebelschlussl_L_output Set to custom value: 0x1A

In addition to the coding, North American i3 models also need the Euro light switch with the rear fog button. The one I'm using is part 61319311723, but it has likely been superseded by another part number.

Source: BMW i3 rear light mapping

40098738663_c583af07fe_o.png]
I used this coding in Bimmercode advanced settings with my new Euro switch I got. It worked. Except both number seven lights come on. I think I have to go back in and change :
to "off" to deactivate the right number 7 bulb. But thanks for everyone work over the years to help me through this.

Back