Upgrade battery.

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
eXodus said:
Awesome havrla!

http://elektroforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=857&start=100

Did you solve the coding issue? Full power enabled?

Full power available.

Lots of time invested, lots of things to buy for testing, no one advised me. I will share my knowledge only with someone who motivates me.
Replacing the battery without sufficient education in the field, in domestic conditions is very dangerous. It is not good to inspire suicides who will try to change the battery at home. Where, at best, they survive, but in a week their vehicle dies.

havrla said:
Lots of time invested, lots of things to buy for testing, no one advised me. I will share my knowledge only with someone who motivates me.
Replacing the battery without sufficient education in the field, in domestic conditions is very dangerous. It is not good to inspire suicides who will try to change the battery at home. Where, at best, they survive, but in a week their vehicle dies.

Good thinking- the high voltage is dangerous and you absolutely should get something for your investment.

You could offer training sessions with materials - charge a decent amount for training Technicians to do this correctly. Like a Weekend Workshop.

Sorry, this may be OT, but my 2014 REX range is deteriorating and I am wondering if anyone has replaced a battery under the 8 year warranty? As I recall, the warranty kicks in if the capacity of the battery drops below 70%. My battery currently shows 16.5kWh, so I think I am close.

Thank you.

I couldn't find a better discussion so would appreciate any suggestions as to where this is being discussed.

Chuck
2014 REX
61,000 miles

chuckhawley said:
Sorry, this may be OT, but my 2014 REX range is deteriorating and I am wondering if anyone has replaced a battery under the 8 year warranty? As I recall, the warranty kicks in if the capacity of the battery drops below 70%. My battery currently shows 16.5kWh, so I think I am close.

Thank you.

I couldn't find a better discussion so would appreciate any suggestions as to where this is being discussed.

Chuck
2014 REX
61,000 miles

there is a whole thread for this:
https://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5651

havrla said:
"" eXodus "" Wants to open a branch :)
Wait until we get closer ....

haha yes, just need to get the equipment and licenses ;)

The i3s A/C / battery cooling system is a rather difficult entity and you don't want to break that.

Here's an update on the battery upgrade front, just received this excellent tool from Havrla!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR-gNPdeHPY

I don't see 120Ah packs up for sale. They must be somewhere. On ebay I see a lot of 60Ah, and occasionally a 94Ah. I saw a 94Ah on ebay for a 60Ah price ($3359) and snapped it up. It is from a 2017 whose heated seats still worked, so I know it was not locked up from the accident it was in. If anyone around Baltimore wants to help me experiment getting this to work in a 2014 BEV, message me.

Joff said:
If anyone around Baltimore wants to help me experiment getting this to work in a 2014 BEV, message me.

I am not around Baltimore but I will definitely offer moral support and would also love to see the process!

Joff said:
... I saw a 94Ah on ebay for a 60Ah price ($3359) and snapped it up. It is from a 2017 whose heated seats still worked, so I know it was not locked up from the accident it was in.

Did you ever move forward with this? I already have a 94Ah pack from a similar situation, no airbags deployed. My 2015 BEV is undergoing drive motor and transmission swap now, and after that I'm hoping, hoping to see what's involved in the battery swap... other than the obvious discharge and recharge of the aircon system.

I've been told by someone in the UK (that should know) that this is a direct swap, no coding required... but I have to wonder about whether the rest of the car needs to "know" it has the higher capacity battery.

Programming and coding of the battery and car must be done, otherwise there is a problem with cooling and heating the battery. The battery does work, but in emergency compatible mode without support from the car.
Write a private message, we need to figure something out.

havrla said:
Programming and coding of the battery and car must be done, otherwise there is a problem with cooling and heating the battery. The battery does work, but in emergency compatible mode without support from the car.
Write a private message, we need to figure something out.

Hey havrla, did you resolve the issue?

I would like to upgrade my bateries from 60 to 120.
Do you actually offer that service? I would travel to you if so. Let mw know.

Helooo

https://www.i3upgrade.cz

Hello
Many cars have already been upgraded, statistics by license plate:
1 BE
1 HR
1 HU
1 LT
1 SCO
1 UK
2 UA
3 A
4 FR
4 NL
5 SK
6 CH
14 DE
45 CZ

The batteries are tested for capacity, the EoS safety test is also performed. Warranty as well, what more could you want :)
write me an email please :)

Havrla

Back