Coding REX in Ohio

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rougeetnoir

Hello, I am a new owner in Columbus, Ohio and have a 2019 i3S 120AH REX. I wonder if anyone knows of a person who does coding within battery range of Columbus to allow the engine to cut in sooner and give me a more extended driving time. I don't imagine I would go over 60-65 mph for most of my highway driving.

The other question: chargers. I have a BMW Turbo charge cable with car which appears to be about level 1.5. I am thinking of an EVO2 wall charger as a modest priced non wi- fi unit and wonder if anyone has opinions about its durability.

Thanks much to all

I'm too far away and on the other side of a closed border :lol:

Try bimmercode, very easy to do and not expensive: https://bimmercode.app/

Highly recommend coding the REx to be able to turn it on at 75%, makes the car far more usable for roadtrips.

People talk about programming on BMWs, and that scares many people off. It can get messy, but BimmerCode is pretty simplistic...essentially, pick things off of a menu then tell it to program, wait, and it's done. It keeps a backup of the original, so you can revert back, if you change your mind. Go to the app store for the phone or tablet you have and download the app. Look it over using the demo mode (no cost to look in that mode). If you want to do it yourself, buy a suitable OBD-II adapter, and do it yourself. Between the license fee for the app (needed to run it in the 'actual' mode versus demo) and the adapter, you'll probably spend less than you'd find someone to do it for you. Keep in mind, if your vehicle ever gets a software update at the dealership, that will reset everything back to factory, and you'll have to program it over again. Many places will redo it for you, but it's much easier to do it yourself.

People talk about programming on BMWs, and that scares many people off. I

Yeah. You need to realize that though people call it programming or coding, it really isn't at the basic user level. Think of it as an App interface that lets you turn on/off and set different functions already built in to your car - like you would turn on/off a specific ringtone, or enable/disable bluetooth or wifi on your smartphone. All those functions already exist on your phone, and you use a (built-in) App interface to access them, and enable/disable and set them. For the i3 you are just using a 3rd party App (Bimmercode) to see and set the built-in functions.

MKH said:
People talk about programming on BMWs, and that scares many people off. I

Yeah. You need to realize that though people call it programming or coding, it really isn't at the basic user level. Think of it as an App interface that lets you turn on/off and set different functions already built in to your car - like you would turn on/off a specific ringtone, or enable/disable bluetooth or wifi on your smartphone. All those functions already exist on your phone, and you use a (built-in) App interface to access them, and enable/disable and set them. For the i3 you are just using a 3rd party App (Bimmercode) to see and set the built-in functions.

1000% what MKH said!! So well articulated, Thank you!

I was terrified to "code" my 2019 i3S and never did. I finally one afternoon just decided I was going to "code" Rex in my 2020 i3S. I already had a Veepeak OBD reader laying around and I downloaded the Bimmercode app. Seriously....a couple of mins later, Rex was "coded". I guess we should start saying activating and not coding.

I will admit that I had watched several Youtube videos before I even downloaded the Bimmercode app. It help that a few showed "if this happens" or "if this prompt does not pop up right away" were VERY useful, as when I activated my Rex, it looked a wee different than most of the youtube videos...but it was so easy and the BEST decision ever!!!

Most of what you can change on a BMW with something like Bimmercode is changing constants, you are not actually changing the operational code. YOu can think of the simple equation for the circumference of a circle...the formula is fixed. You change the Diameter value to account for different sized circle, not the formula (program). Or, it's an on/off switch like enable hold or not. Once you set it to enable, the code in the vehicle then will put up the display to turn it on/off at your will, but the menu item on iDrive won't come on if you haven't 'coded' the parameters to allow it.

There are probably thousands of that type of switch in the actual code of a BMW...flipping some of them can really mess things up. In Bimmercode, if you stay out of expert mode, it's really hard to mess up!

Could anyone who has coded 2019 or later i3 give a detailed description of exactly what happens after you set the REX to 75%? Where exactly in the idrive is the button by which one engages the REX manually after the coding is done. Thanks very ,

rougeetnoir said:
Could anyone who has coded 2019 or later i3 give a detailed description of exactly what happens after you set the REX to 75%? Where exactly in the idrive is the button by which one engages the REX manually after the coding is done. Thanks very ,

It's the same on all 2014-2021 models. Under iDrive you'll see a new menu option called "Range Extender" (IIRC) which allows you to check a box activating the REx once SOC hits 75%.

Don't be scared of coding, with BimmerCode just stay out of the advanced settings and you'll be fine.

I coded REx menu for my 2015 in under 5 mins (then added gas tank code) the day I bought it. Same thing for my 2017.

BimmerCode makes it super easy.

Back