alohart

Optional ConnectedDrive services no longer available in store

Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:24 pm

In the past, I have subscribed to the Real Time Traffic Information and ConnectedDrive Services packages offered in the ConnectedDrive store. I just discovered that no new subscriptions are available to me. Those that were included with the purchase of our 2014 i3 and that expire in 2024 are still active. I can no longer subscribe to Real Time Traffic Information, ConnectedDrive Services, and Concierge Services because they are "not available for your vehicle!" They were the last time I checked a few months ago. Why not now?

One explanation could be that because AT&T's 3G cellular data service will be discontinued in the U.S. by February, 2021 (mistyped: should be 2022), BMW doesn't want to have to deal with refunds of subscription fees afterward. If BMW had planned to offer an upgrade to the 4G telematics module at a reasonable price, wouldn't it have done so by now so that those pre-LCI (pre-2018) i3 owners who wanted to renew these subscriptions could do so without worrying about these services becoming unavailable before the expiration dates of these subscriptions? To me, this seems like evidence that no reasonable upgrade path will be offered which is a shame.

If you own a pre-LCI i3, could you renew the Real Time Traffic Information, ConnectedDrive Services, and Concierge Services subscriptions if you wanted to?
Last edited by alohart on Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aloha,
Art

2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE

symonray

Re: Optional ConnectedDrive services no longer available in store

Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:48 pm

Alohart, Are the services currently active in your car and you are trying to renew the services before they expire or were they already expired? The same services for my 2017 i3 Rex are set to expire in April, and the BMW Connected Drive website says that I will be able to renew all/any of the services within 30 days of the expiration date but not sooner.
Timothy Simonds
2017 BMW i3 Rex

alohart

Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:37 pm

symonray wrote:
Alohart, Are the services currently active in your car and you are trying to renew the services before they expire or were they already expired?
The services that weren't included with the purchase of our car aren't currently active. I allowed subsciptions to Real Time Traffic Information and ConnectedDrive Services expire a couple of years ago. I couldn't renew these subscriptions now even if I wanted to. However, I renewed the RTTI subscription in the past after it had expired.
symonray wrote:
The same services for my 2017 i3 Rex are set to expire in April, and the BMW Connected Drive website says that I will be able to renew all/any of the services within 30 days of the expiration date but not sooner.
That seems odd unless I'm wrong in assuming that the 4G telematics module wasn't included in 2017 i3's.
Aloha,
Art

2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE

symonray

Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:54 am

I will report back when I try to renew the services for my 2017 i3 Rex in March.
Timothy Simonds
2017 BMW i3 Rex

rtanov

Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:22 am

2014 Rex here, RTTI was just about to expire and same response about it and any additional service - "This service is not available for your vehicle." I have bought RTTI every year since the included free period expired and was wondering whether I should keep it since I don't really need it, this completely solves my dilemma :D
2014 BMW i3 REx
2014 BMW i3 BEV - retired

symonray

Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:00 am

Based on a prior discussion thread on this forum, I think the 4G telematics module might have been installed on 2017 models even though the ConnectedDrive service currently utilizes a 3G connection. In any event, I should know something definitive next month when I attempt to renew the services on my 2017 i3 Rex.
Timothy Simonds
2017 BMW i3 Rex

tezarc

Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:34 am

I just renewed Real Time Traffic Information and ConnectedDrive Services at the end of November so they're happy to take my money. I can still use the app as of today, RTTI was working as of Saturday.
2014 BMW i3 BEV Giga world Laurel Grey

Fisher99

Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:41 am

I'm still hoping that there will be a reasonably priced upgrade for the 3G i3's, but you're right - time is running out, and the lack of information from BMW bodes ill, I fear. I use ConnectDrive multiple times a week to climatize the car and would really hate to lose that ability. I do have my key fob coded so that I can use the panic button to initiate climatization but that is distance limited plus you don't get a verification as to whether it worked or not. Better than nothing, but not good enough.
2014 BMW i3 with Range Extender Engine, Capparis White/Frozen Black, 20" wheels,, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, TurboCord EVSE

eXodus

Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:25 am

symonray wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:00 am
Based on a prior discussion thread on this forum, I think the 4G telematics module might have been installed on 2017 models even though the ConnectedDrive service currently utilizes a 3G connection. In any event, I should know something definitive next month when I attempt to renew the services on my 2017 i3 Rex.
My 2017 i3 shows all services are still good till July 2021.

Please report back - if it really stops working in a March at least a got a running contract with BMW to demand delivery (and get a 4G module)

I don't know - where I live the 3G network is already not available for my phones anymore since beginning of the year - but the i3 still has it's services active?

symonray

Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:38 am

I will report back in March on my efforts to renew the services. According to the previous post and the BMW Real OEM Parts website, a 4g telematics module was standard equipment in all i3 models produced after 6/2016 (i.e., starting with the 2017 model year).
Timothy Simonds
2017 BMW i3 Rex

Return to “General / Main i3 Owners Forum”