Maximum range indicator

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobB

A few weeks ago I test drove a 2017 i3 base. While charging it, the white maximum range indication on the instrument cluster showed 114 miles (the stated max range for the 33 kW battery). Today we took delivery of a 2017 i3 base (different car than the one we test drove) and the white maximum range indication only shows 91 miles.

I’m a little concerned that the battery is not in good shape. However, it is much colder now in Ohio than it was a few weeks ago. In addition, the car had traveled 400 miles on a flatbed to our house, and I’m sure the battery was pretty cold. So my question - will the maximum range show less than 114 miles if the battery is really cold, or should it show 114 regardless of temp (and other variables)?

Looking forward to whatever insight you can provide. Thanks.

My 2019 will show 187 miles or more in warm weather, but it showed 147 miles today in my cold garage. The estimated mileage is in inverse with the temperature.

The "range" is a Guesstimate based on recent Driving. In mild weather it will show more range than in inclement weather when you may have headlamps on, wipers on, heater on, etc.

We bought a 2017 94aH BEV in November and it eventually showed 125 miles while were driving it when fully charged and 60F outside.
That "range" has dropped in 0F weather to 68 miles partly because the traction batteries are super cold and also because we have all Aux things on while driving.

Your battery sounds normal.

Thanks for the responses. Very reassuring. Had we not test driven the other i3, that showed the exact stated range (114), I probably would not have thought much of it. Good to know it’s normal. :)

Pahaska said:
My 2019 will show 187 miles or more in warm weather, but it showed 147 miles today in my cold garage. The estimated mileage is in inverse with the temperature.

My 2019 i3S and now my 2020 i3S usually shows (or I should say showed) 150-160 miles when fully charged. BUT....I am kind of freaking out.

My last few 100% charges have given range numbers of something like 150ish and then it dropped to 140ish and then 137 miles, then 133 and today 129.

129 miles for a 100% charge on a 2020 model? It is not cold here. The past week temps have been in the 70s (F).

BobB said:
Thanks for the responses. Very reassuring. Had we not test driven the other i3, that showed the exact stated range (114), I probably would not have thought much of it. Good to know it’s normal. :)

I totally understand your concerns! It is very jarring and upsetting to see the range fluctuate so much. We have a 2020 Taycan Turbo and Porsche has nailed battery management....30F or 100F the range is not affected much at all.

Deutsch100 said:
I totally understand your concerns! It is very jarring and upsetting to see the range fluctuate so much. We have a 2020 Taycan Turbo and Porsche has nailed battery management....30F or 100F the range is not affected much at all.
Is the actual range of your i3 fluctuating or is just the range estimate? Don't assume that the range estimate reflects the actual range on any particular day because the estimate cannot predict future driving conditions which could easily vary.

I charged last night to 99% and the range indicator showed 120 miles. Much happier seeing that, even knowing it's an estimate.

alohart said:
Deutsch100 said:
Is the actual range of your i3 fluctuating or is just the range estimate? Don't assume that the range estimate reflects the actual range on any particular day because the estimate cannot predict future driving conditions which could easily vary.

I am going to have to check actual range. But since I have been driving an i3 since Sept 2019....and I am on i3 #2, I feel I know how far I can drive and how long I can go between charges. Normally I charge 1x a week, sometimes 2. But, the past few weeks I am needing to charge every few days. Granted it is not super warm here right now, but not cold.

Since you're on #2 I'm sure you've already heard the routine, the range estimate is based on the last 18 miles of driven, battery temp & ambient temp, but may be modified if you enter a destination in nav. If you've been driving a number of relatively short trips on a non pre-conditioned battery, that will result in lower miles per kWh, which will negatively reflect in the displayed range estimate.

Contrast this to the Polestar 2 my wife has been considering. At 100% SOC, the display indicates a very unrealistic 230 miles range, always, every time, no adjustments for cold temperatures, lack of preconditioning, or planned drive. Frustrated owners are complaining that they are seeing far less than this, some as low as 130 miles range on a full charge (though most are in the 170 to 200 camp in winter weather).

So I think your i3 is trying to be realistic as best it can. You may want to check battery capacity in your hidden menu because, although it's not necessarily a 100% accurate reflection of your battery health, it may give some insight as to why your car is lowballing its available range.

eNate said:
Since you're on #2 I'm sure you've already heard the routine, the range estimate is based on the last 18 miles of driven, battery temp & ambient temp, but may be modified if you enter a destination in nav. If you've been driving a number of relatively short trips on a non pre-conditioned battery, that will result in lower miles per kWh, which will negatively reflect in the displayed range estimate.

Contrast this to the Polestar 2 my wife has been considering. At 100% SOC, the display indicates a very unrealistic 230 miles range, always, every time, no adjustments for cold temperatures, lack of preconditioning, or planned drive. Frustrated owners are complaining that they are seeing far less than this, some as low as 130 miles range on a full charge (though most are in the 170 to 200 camp in winter weather).

So I think your i3 is trying to be realistic as best it can. You may want to check battery capacity in your hidden menu because, although it's not necessarily a 100% accurate reflection of your battery health, it may give some insight as to why your car is lowballing its available range.

Thanks eNate. I guess I would take my i3 battery's behaviour over the Polestar's always 230 miles range. That would be very frustrating.

I have never used the Nav in the car, have not even tried it. But I have done a few short-ish trips with no preconditioning...so this might be it!

Back