Optional ConnectedDrive services no longer available in store

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alohart

In the past, I have subscribed to the Real Time Traffic Information and ConnectedDrive Services packages offered in the ConnectedDrive store. I just discovered that no new subscriptions are available to me. Those that were included with the purchase of our 2014 i3 and that expire in 2024 are still active. I can no longer subscribe to Real Time Traffic Information, ConnectedDrive Services, and Concierge Services because they are "not available for your vehicle!" They were the last time I checked a few months ago. Why not now?

One explanation could be that because AT&T's 3G cellular data service will be discontinued in the U.S. by February, 2021 (mistyped: should be 2022), BMW doesn't want to have to deal with refunds of subscription fees afterward. If BMW had planned to offer an upgrade to the 4G telematics module at a reasonable price, wouldn't it have done so by now so that those pre-LCI (pre-2018) i3 owners who wanted to renew these subscriptions could do so without worrying about these services becoming unavailable before the expiration dates of these subscriptions? To me, this seems like evidence that no reasonable upgrade path will be offered which is a shame.

If you own a pre-LCI i3, could you renew the Real Time Traffic Information, ConnectedDrive Services, and Concierge Services subscriptions if you wanted to?

Alohart, Are the services currently active in your car and you are trying to renew the services before they expire or were they already expired? The same services for my 2017 i3 Rex are set to expire in April, and the BMW Connected Drive website says that I will be able to renew all/any of the services within 30 days of the expiration date but not sooner.

symonray said:
Alohart, Are the services currently active in your car and you are trying to renew the services before they expire or were they already expired?
The services that weren't included with the purchase of our car aren't currently active. I allowed subsciptions to Real Time Traffic Information and ConnectedDrive Services expire a couple of years ago. I couldn't renew these subscriptions now even if I wanted to. However, I renewed the RTTI subscription in the past after it had expired.

symonray said:
The same services for my 2017 i3 Rex are set to expire in April, and the BMW Connected Drive website says that I will be able to renew all/any of the services within 30 days of the expiration date but not sooner.
That seems odd unless I'm wrong in assuming that the 4G telematics module wasn't included in 2017 i3's.

2014 Rex here, RTTI was just about to expire and same response about it and any additional service - "This service is not available for your vehicle." I have bought RTTI every year since the included free period expired and was wondering whether I should keep it since I don't really need it, this completely solves my dilemma :D

Based on a prior discussion thread on this forum, I think the 4G telematics module might have been installed on 2017 models even though the ConnectedDrive service currently utilizes a 3G connection. In any event, I should know something definitive next month when I attempt to renew the services on my 2017 i3 Rex.

I just renewed Real Time Traffic Information and ConnectedDrive Services at the end of November so they're happy to take my money. I can still use the app as of today, RTTI was working as of Saturday.

I'm still hoping that there will be a reasonably priced upgrade for the 3G i3's, but you're right - time is running out, and the lack of information from BMW bodes ill, I fear. I use ConnectDrive multiple times a week to climatize the car and would really hate to lose that ability. I do have my key fob coded so that I can use the panic button to initiate climatization but that is distance limited plus you don't get a verification as to whether it worked or not. Better than nothing, but not good enough.

symonray said:
Based on a prior discussion thread on this forum, I think the 4G telematics module might have been installed on 2017 models even though the ConnectedDrive service currently utilizes a 3G connection. In any event, I should know something definitive next month when I attempt to renew the services on my 2017 i3 Rex.

My 2017 i3 shows all services are still good till July 2021.

Please report back - if it really stops working in a March at least a got a running contract with BMW to demand delivery (and get a 4G module)

I don't know - where I live the 3G network is already not available for my phones anymore since beginning of the year - but the i3 still has it's services active?

I will report back in March on my efforts to renew the services. According to the previous post and the BMW Real OEM Parts website, a 4g telematics module was standard equipment in all i3 models produced after 6/2016 (i.e., starting with the 2017 model year).

ATT extended 3G’s life until Feb 2022:

https://www.att.com/support/article/wireless/KM1324171/

I’m still hoping for a low-cost upgrade to the telematics box. They can’t just let basic services top working, I wouldn’t think.

—Donnie

djbrh said:
ATT extended 3G’s life until Feb 2022:
Thanks for pointing out my mistype! AT&T's 3G end-of-life has been February, 2022, for at least a year, so it hasn't extended this date recently. I corrected my original post.

I just read this post in the Facebook BMW i3 Worldwide Group.

Apparently, Mr. Dupre resides in the United States and recently called BMW after his ConnectedDrive services stopped working.

Peter Dupre > ‎BMW i3 Worldwide Group
BMW just informed me that they will not renew my connected drive service because my 2016 i3 has 2G or 3G service which they are not supporting anymore. I am really unhappy about this. Hello Tesla

If BMW had planned to offer an upgrade to the 4G telematics module at a reasonable price, wouldn't it have done so by now so that those pre-LCI (pre-2018) i3 owners who wanted to renew these subscriptions could do so without worrying about these services becoming unavailable before the expiration dates of these subscriptions? To me, this seems like evidence that no reasonable upgrade path will be offered which is a shame.

I'm a little surprised that it looks like BMW is taking this route. It could (and should) blow up into real major negative PR for BMW. In today's connected world, a lot of people will cross BMW off their list of future purchasing choices if BMW drops support for ongoing connectivity in their already sold cars simply because they are too cheap to offer an upgrade path for their outdated telematics module. Though I think they are going to be quite surprised at how few people are going to be interested in buying their bloated overweight yesterday's idea of electric hybrids anyway.

I could not extend the eDrive package on my 2017 REX. I called BMW and all I could get was the Connected Drive bundle which includes remote access, door locking etc. I am not sure what functions I lose in the new bundle. I did not renew their advanced traffic package.

I am not sure if I lose the state of charge function on the eDrive package since it still works until 3/26/21.

The [NEW] Bundle says:
Remote Services allow you to interact with your vehicle, even when you are away from it.
* You can now lock and unlock the vehicle with the BMW Connected App or the BMW Call Center
* BMW Assist™ can help police locate your vehicle if it is ever stolen
* The BMWConnected app provides you numerous features for interacting with your BMW even when you are not near it

My [OLD] eDrive has:
* Check your vehicle status, control the charging process, plan trips and drive more efficiently.
* Control your vehicle remotely with the BMW Connected App and see your vehicle location, range and current battery and charging information.
* Use the on-board navigation to find the most efficient way to reach your destination.

Well shoot,, my current subscription runs through September and I can't renew until I'm within 30 days of expiration. The site won't show what services I'm qualified to renew (well... some are grayed out).

I removed the rear seat and inspected my telematics unit, but of the labels on it that I can see, it doesn't match the numbers I was expecting to find. My i3's manufacture date (July 2017) is after the supposed 4G switchover date,

I guess time will tell, though I'd like to know whether BMW is dividing us owners strictly by model year, or whether their Connected database has a handle on who's car has which unit.

Just an FYI - on the i3 Facebook group, it looks like there is some preliminary groundwork being done to see if a class action lawsuit should be pursued, if BMW sunsets the bulk of their 'connected' options for owners with 3g modems, with no upgrade path being offered.

I contacted BMW i Concierge today and received the following reply:

-----
Thank you for contacting the BMW i Team regarding your 2015 BMW i3 REX. We appreciate your inquiry.

Due to a phasing out of the 3G network by cellular carriers, ConnectedDrive services can no longer be supported starting February 2022 for select vehicles The decision to phase out 3G network technology was made at the discretion of the respective cellular carriers and lies beyond the control of BMW.

BMW is in the process of assessing options to ensure that BMW ConnectedDrive/BMW Assist renewals are only sold within the timeframe that services can be supported. Currently, service renewals are not possible, as they are sold for one-year terms. However, BMW is exploring customers’ ability to continue using ConnectedDrive services until February 2022 and will provide more information as it becomes available.
-----

This seems to imply they won't leave us in the cold regarding ConnectedDrive in cars with the 3G cellular radio, but I would have expected BMW to have given us a path for upgrading the cellular communications box by now.

RonR said:
BMW is in the process of assessing options to ensure that BMW ConnectedDrive/BMW Assist renewals are only sold within the timeframe that services can be supported. Currently, service renewals are not possible, as they are sold for one-year terms. However, BMW is exploring customers’ ability to continue using ConnectedDrive services until February 2022 and will provide more information as it becomes available.
-----

This seems to imply they won't leave us in the cold regarding ConnectedDrive in cars with the 3G cellular radio, but I would have expected BMW to have given us a path for upgrading the cellular communications box by now.
i interpret the concierge's reply to mean that BMW is investigating how to continue to provide ConnectedDrive services to U.S. owners of i3's with 3G telematics modules only until February, 2022, by which time AT&T will have discontinued its 3G service (could occur earlier). This could mean offering a prorated prices for periods less than 1 year.

I don't read any suggestion that BMW will do anything to continue ConnectedDrive services for 3G i3's beyond February, 2022, which would require replacement of the 3G telematics module with the 4G model. The cost of subscriptions for some of my ConnectedDrive services that expire in November, 2024, were included in the new cost of our car. Unless there are weasel words in our purchase agreement or maybe as a condition for opening a ConnectedDrive services account that allow BMW to avoid providing these services, I won't be happy losing them prematurely.

Back