djbrh

Re: Optional ConnectedDrive services no longer available in store

Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:53 pm

ATT extended 3G’s life until Feb 2022:

https://www.att.com/support/article/wireless/KM1324171/

I’m still hoping for a low-cost upgrade to the telematics box. They can’t just let basic services top working, I wouldn’t think.

—Donnie

alohart

Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:14 pm

djbrh wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:53 pm
ATT extended 3G’s life until Feb 2022:
Thanks for pointing out my mistype! AT&T's 3G end-of-life has been February, 2022, for at least a year, so it hasn't extended this date recently. I corrected my original post.
Aloha,
Art

2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE

symonray

Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:37 pm

I just read this post in the Facebook BMW i3 Worldwide Group.

Apparently, Mr. Dupre resides in the United States and recently called BMW after his ConnectedDrive services stopped working.

Peter Dupre > ‎BMW i3 Worldwide Group
BMW just informed me that they will not renew my connected drive service because my 2016 i3 has 2G or 3G service which they are not supporting anymore. I am really unhappy about this. Hello Tesla

Timothy Simonds
2017 BMW i3 Rex

Deutsch100

Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:58 pm

I thought BMW said 3G would start going away Dec. 2021? :(
2020 i3S Rex; Capparis White

MKH
Gold Member

Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:18 am

If BMW had planned to offer an upgrade to the 4G telematics module at a reasonable price, wouldn't it have done so by now so that those pre-LCI (pre-2018) i3 owners who wanted to renew these subscriptions could do so without worrying about these services becoming unavailable before the expiration dates of these subscriptions? To me, this seems like evidence that no reasonable upgrade path will be offered which is a shame.
I'm a little surprised that it looks like BMW is taking this route. It could (and should) blow up into real major negative PR for BMW. In today's connected world, a lot of people will cross BMW off their list of future purchasing choices if BMW drops support for ongoing connectivity in their already sold cars simply because they are too cheap to offer an upgrade path for their outdated telematics module. Though I think they are going to be quite surprised at how few people are going to be interested in buying their bloated overweight yesterday's idea of electric hybrids anyway.
Mark H.
2015 i3 Rex, Capparis White, Tera World, Technology & Driving Assistant, Parking Assistant, Harman Kardon Audio System, 19 inch 427 wheels, EVoInnovate EVSE

Lysander

Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:50 am

I could not extend the eDrive package on my 2017 REX. I called BMW and all I could get was the Connected Drive bundle which includes remote access, door locking etc. I am not sure what functions I lose in the new bundle. I did not renew their advanced traffic package.

I am not sure if I lose the state of charge function on the eDrive package since it still works until 3/26/21.

The [NEW] Bundle says:
Remote Services allow you to interact with your vehicle, even when you are away from it.
* You can now lock and unlock the vehicle with the BMW Connected App or the BMW Call Center
* BMW Assist™ can help police locate your vehicle if it is ever stolen
* The BMWConnected app provides you numerous features for interacting with your BMW even when you are not near it

My [OLD] eDrive has:
* Check your vehicle status, control the charging process, plan trips and drive more efficiently.
* Control your vehicle remotely with the BMW Connected App and see your vehicle location, range and current battery and charging information.
* Use the on-board navigation to find the most efficient way to reach your destination.

eNate

Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:39 am

Well shoot,, my current subscription runs through September and I can't renew until I'm within 30 days of expiration. The site won't show what services I'm qualified to renew (well... some are grayed out).

I removed the rear seat and inspected my telematics unit, but of the labels on it that I can see, it doesn't match the numbers I was expecting to find. My i3's manufacture date (July 2017) is after the supposed 4G switchover date,

I guess time will tell, though I'd like to know whether BMW is dividing us owners strictly by model year, or whether their Connected database has a handle on who's car has which unit.
2 0 1 7   B M W   i 3   9 4 A h   B E V  O a k l a n d
 Wokeby Trunk Extension | Duosida 16A L1 EVSE
 SeaSucker Monkey Bar Roof Rack

MKH
Gold Member

Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:38 am

Just an FYI - on the i3 Facebook group, it looks like there is some preliminary groundwork being done to see if a class action lawsuit should be pursued, if BMW sunsets the bulk of their 'connected' options for owners with 3g modems, with no upgrade path being offered.
Mark H.
2015 i3 Rex, Capparis White, Tera World, Technology & Driving Assistant, Parking Assistant, Harman Kardon Audio System, 19 inch 427 wheels, EVoInnovate EVSE

RonR

Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:40 pm

I contacted BMW i Concierge today and received the following reply:

-----
Thank you for contacting the BMW i Team regarding your 2015 BMW i3 REX. We appreciate your inquiry.

Due to a phasing out of the 3G network by cellular carriers, ConnectedDrive services can no longer be supported starting February 2022 for select vehicles The decision to phase out 3G network technology was made at the discretion of the respective cellular carriers and lies beyond the control of BMW.

BMW is in the process of assessing options to ensure that BMW ConnectedDrive/BMW Assist renewals are only sold within the timeframe that services can be supported. Currently, service renewals are not possible, as they are sold for one-year terms. However, BMW is exploring customers’ ability to continue using ConnectedDrive services until February 2022 and will provide more information as it becomes available.
-----

This seems to imply they won't leave us in the cold regarding ConnectedDrive in cars with the 3G cellular radio, but I would have expected BMW to have given us a path for upgrading the cellular communications box by now.
2015 BMW i3, Arravani Grey

alohart

Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:04 pm

RonR wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:40 pm
BMW is in the process of assessing options to ensure that BMW ConnectedDrive/BMW Assist renewals are only sold within the timeframe that services can be supported. Currently, service renewals are not possible, as they are sold for one-year terms. However, BMW is exploring customers’ ability to continue using ConnectedDrive services until February 2022 and will provide more information as it becomes available.
-----

This seems to imply they won't leave us in the cold regarding ConnectedDrive in cars with the 3G cellular radio, but I would have expected BMW to have given us a path for upgrading the cellular communications box by now.
i interpret the concierge's reply to mean that BMW is investigating how to continue to provide ConnectedDrive services to U.S. owners of i3's with 3G telematics modules only until February, 2022, by which time AT&T will have discontinued its 3G service (could occur earlier). This could mean offering a prorated prices for periods less than 1 year.

I don't read any suggestion that BMW will do anything to continue ConnectedDrive services for 3G i3's beyond February, 2022, which would require replacement of the 3G telematics module with the 4G model. The cost of subscriptions for some of my ConnectedDrive services that expire in November, 2024, were included in the new cost of our car. Unless there are weasel words in our purchase agreement or maybe as a condition for opening a ConnectedDrive services account that allow BMW to avoid providing these services, I won't be happy losing them prematurely.
Aloha,
Art

2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE

Return to “General / Main i3 Owners Forum”