Wont drive if door open

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raylec

I have a 2018 i3, the car is great but there are a few design flaws. On thing annoying is that I can not move the car forward or reverse if the drivers door is not shut, but ok with passenger door or boot door open. Opening the door when reversing is usefull for parking.
There must be a wire from door switch to cpu that need to be attended to, can anybody help me,the dealer wont help.

A friend of my ripped the A-pillar out of his car when reversing with the door open and it hit on the car next to it.
I'm suggesting not to do this. That will ruin you day.

You can program (code) the mirrors so that it turns down when you reverse - so that you can see the line on the ground from the mirror

Further when you get the European style Aspherical Mirrors parking is sooo much easier.

BMW engineers must have been fans of HBO's quirky Six Feet Under series. Here is why one should not drive with open front left door.
>>>Caution, macabre humor<<< https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OHulpfzgPE

ScottA320 said:
>>>Caution, macabre humor<<<

**eek**

Many moons ago, rushing during a restaurant shift to move my car to let a waitress out (we double parked there, blocking the front car in) , I left my door ajar while backing out next to an open staircase — the kind with concrete treads on a single steel beam riser.

Crash!

Door frame hit underside of tread, door bent forward, window violently shattered, and i spent the next day at the junkyard scrounging parts.

Lesson learned, I don't need my i3 to tell me that I ought not do this. :D

eXodus said:
You can program (code) the mirrors so that it turns down when you reverse - so that you can see the line on the ground from the mirror
Are you saying that the driver mirror can be coded to turn down when reversing just like the passenger mirror? If so, is that a standard BimmerCode option? If not, what are the expert mode coding instructions?

alohart said:
eXodus said:
Are you saying that the driver mirror can be coded to turn down when reversing just like the passenger mirror? If so, is that a standard BimmerCode option? If not, what are the expert mode coding instructions?

I've seen someone at a meeting having this enabled. Instead of only the passenger - the drivers side tilted down at the same time. Both had been disabled and enabled with the switch in the door.

Didn't see it in Bimmercode when I looked. So must be expert wizardry.

Back