EVMan

Re: Which versions of the AC compressor have people had failures with?

Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:46 pm

Curios , who makes this compressor.
Tesla uses a variable speed scroll compressor made by Hanon Korea
2017 33KWH Rex
Model 3 Long Range
Solar ToU Plan
DC USA

MKH
Gold Member

Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:59 am

I believe the i3's AC compressor is manufactured by Mahle Behr GmbH & Co. KG, Stuttgart, Germany.
Mark H.
2015 i3 Rex, Capparis White, Tera World, Technology & Driving Assistant, Parking Assistant, Harman Kardon Audio System, 19 inch 427 wheels, EVoInnovate EVSE

TARDISi3

Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:07 am

MKH wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:59 am
I believe the i3's AC compressor is manufactured by Mahle Behr GmbH & Co. KG, Stuttgart, Germany.
On my 2017 i3, the original compressor was manufactured by Hanon Systems, Portugal.

In recent years, there has been a consolidation in the ac systems space. There have been takeovers of businesses by other businesses, so Mahle Behr may now be in cahoots. Never know, through the structure of the business, they may be related.

That, or BMW changed suppliers over time.

MKH
Gold Member

Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:05 am

On my 2017 i3, the original compressor was manufactured by Hanon Systems, Portugal.
Checking deeper, I think you are right - Mahle Behr makes several BMW AC compressors, and on a third-party parts site listed the i3 in with a bunch of BMW models, but think that is an error. Other sites only show Hanon for i3 AC compressors.
Mark H.
2015 i3 Rex, Capparis White, Tera World, Technology & Driving Assistant, Parking Assistant, Harman Kardon Audio System, 19 inch 427 wheels, EVoInnovate EVSE

TARDISi3

Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:39 am

MKH wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:05 am
Checking deeper, I think you are right - Mahle Behr makes several BMW AC compressors, and on a third-party parts site listed the i3 in with a bunch of BMW models, but think that is an error. Other sites only show Hanon for i3 AC compressors.
Mahle Behr does make compressors for the i3. The replacement that I have installed over the weekend was from them, not the original one from Hannon Systems.

MKH
Gold Member

Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:39 am

The replacement that I have installed over the weekend was from them, not the original one from Hannon Systems.
Maybe the Hannon Systems AC compressors were the ones (early years) that had the failures, possibly a quality control in manufacturing issue, with BMW eventually going to Mahle Behr for another source. Or BMW just has multiple suppliers for the i3 AC compressor.
Mark H.

TARDISi3

Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:23 am

MKH wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:39 am
The replacement that I have installed over the weekend was from them, not the original one from Hannon Systems.
Maybe the Hannon Systems AC compressors were the ones (early years) that had the failures, possibly a quality control in manufacturing issue, with BMW eventually going to Mahle Behr for another source. Or BMW just has multiple suppliers for the i3 AC compressor.
It would be interesting to learn what compressor the new i3 is shipping with.

TARDISi3

Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:25 am

The new compressor that I installed had a build date of April 2020.

EVMan

Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:52 pm

So , do all new cars come with variable speed compressors, or is this a EV thing ?
2017 33KWH Rex
Model 3 Long Range
Solar ToU Plan
DC USA

i3Alan

Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:31 pm

EVMan wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:52 pm
So , do all new cars come with variable speed compressors, or is this a EV thing ?
Most EVs and hybrids use variable speed all electric compressors, because they already have the high voltage battery. With a high voltage power source, this is the most efficient way to provide AC to a vehicle. It allows for the right sized compressor always able to turn at the most efficient speed, instead of a greatly oversized compressor that must be able to provide adequate cooling when the engine is idling (or slightly stepped up for the compressor), while not over-compressing when the engine is near red-line. The electric compressor is only concerned with the heat load in the cabin (and battery) and is driven exactly as needed, and is sized appropriately, and does not have to handle a wide range of engine speeds.

Return to “News and Main BMW i3 Forum Discussions”