Loads of Pictures.... incl Rex

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
eXodus said:
Deutsch100 said:
I would NOT buy an EV without a frunk. It is amazing for picking up hot food! You can store it in the frunk while driving home and the cabin is not filled with strong Chinese food smells, greasy burgers and fries or any other take out that makes the inside of the car smell so bad. LOVE the frunk! I do wish the i3 frunk was bigger though. Our Taycan frunk is huge, and I recently test drove a Volvo XC40 EV, and it has a great frunk too!!!

Good that people are different ;) You got a very interesting use case for the Frunk.

Most of my foods grows around my house and the once in blue moon takeout food gets delivered to my door, so that's a non issue for me. I wouldn't even have thought about that.

I got my rear seats folded down most of the time to fairy around large items :p
We grow food too, but I do love me a 1x a week Chinese take out and the Frunk is an all star. Our teenager loves McD's (yuck), but the frunk works again great for that too! Just recently I bought two huge rugs and when I got to my i3, I thought: Oh no, what have I done? Folded down the seats and I was amazed how much the i3 swallows. It really is a perfect big-little car!

TARDISi3 said:
Deutsch100 said:
eXodus said:
That is very likely a coding leftover from the ICE cars from BMW. No second tanks in Euro i3.

You can't even get a new REX in Europe anymore.

The question is - how often do you need the Rex that a larger tank would make sense? I could give up the Frunk. I only opened it once in all my ownership. Useless waste of space that frunk :p You could add 10-20 gallons of gas there.
I would NOT buy an EV without a frunk. It is amazing for picking up hot food! You can store it in the frunk while driving home and the cabin is not filled with strong Chinese food smells, greasy burgers and fries or any other take out that makes the inside of the car smell so bad. LOVE the frunk! I do wish the i3 frunk was bigger though. Our Taycan frunk is huge, and I recently test drove a Volvo XC40 EV, and it has a great frunk too!!!
The frunk of my i3 is not weatherproof. As a result leaves, rain, road grime, and the whole lot gets inside of there. It is dirty to the touch. I would definitely not put food in there.
I am on i3s # 2 and both frunks are not only waterproof, but as clean as the inside of the car! Perhaps your car needs to be looked at? New seals maybe?
The frunk is where the occasional use cable is usually stored too. The Frunk must be waterproof.

Deutsch100 said:
I am on i3s # 2 and both frunks are not only waterproof, but as clean as the inside of the car! Perhaps your car needs to be looked at? New seals maybe?
The frunk is where the occasional use cable is usually stored too. The Frunk must be waterproof.
Wow! I've never read of any other i3 owner claiming that their frunk is waterproof. Maybe BMW redesigned the frunk to make it waterproof. Or maybe in drought-prone California, you haven't driven in the rain much.

Our 2014 i3 has a couple of rubber flaps between the frunk and its lid that block some of the rain, road grim, leaves, etc., but it doesn't block everything. I keep a couple of slip-on seat covers in the frunk that I can use after we've been hiking, swimming, etc., so that the front seats don't get wet or dirty. I have to keep them in a plastic bag to prevent them from getting wet when it rains.

An i3 owner has designed a waterproof lid to the frunk box and is considering manufacturing them due to so many i3 owners wanting a weatherproof frunk box.

The OUC can withstand some moisture, so it can be stored in the frunk without concern. Our frunk box has drain holes that allow water to drain out. Some have surmised that the frunk box isn't waterproof so that a wet OUC could dry.

Back