Anyone else having issues with BMW connect App not working?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gps1539

When I try to start the BMW connect app on my android phone it fails with "Something went wrong, please try later". I've cleared the cache, deleted and re-installed the app but it still fails. Wondering if others are seeing the same issue.

The "please try later" suggests that BMW's servers might not be working correctly when you launched the BMW Connected app. These servers are market-specific, so because the iOS version of BMW Connected works right now in the U.S. works for me, BMW Connected might not work for you if you're in a different market. But then, BMW's client-server implementation has never been very good, so it's difficult to determine what might be wrong.

Thanks Art, I'm in California and I'd guess we're connecting to the same servers so they maybe something phone related.

For what it's worth, the app is working for me on my Android phone. Art is located in Hawaii but I'm located in Oregon which may be the same market area as you, although I really don't know for sure. Sounds like it may be specific to your phone but you've already tried the obvious things so I'm not sure what else to suggest. Is there another Android phone in your family that you could try?

Thanks for letting me know it is working for you. I agree this sounds like an issue with my phone.

I'm in Hawaii also and the app doesn't work for me! I keep getting bad token message

FWIW, I just checked both BMW Connected and MyBMW apps and they were able to display the status of my car. I sent commands to the car via both apps and weirdly the BMW Connected one succeeded (allegedly) and the MyBMW app command failed twice with "Something went wrong, Retry?"

I'm in the midwest USA if that's relevant.

Hoku said:
I'm in Hawaii also and the app doesn't work for me! I keep getting bad token message.
Using the My BMW app in Honolulu, I was just able to unlock the doors on the first try and lock them after 2 failures which seems to be fairly typical for me, so the app and the BMW remote server seem to be working about as well as they ever do.

A bad token message could be caused by some bad data stored on your phone. If you haven't done so, delete the app and its stored data, reinstall, and try again.

Hi,
The App stopped updating my 2017 i3 +Rex since Oct. 17, 2021
I' ve deleted the App and made a new account using different email
but i couldn't get the token from the link in the activation email
I even reset the unit by pressing Power with Band buttons but nothing
has changed.
Any idea ?

Are you seeing the "Invalid Token" message in a too-tiny font when you attempt to connect?

I find "My BMW" app is unreliable. Sometimes it works but about half the time, it fails for either unlock or preconditioning. So I'm wondering, can a button on the key fob be reprogrammed to enable conditioning?

Since the key fob is independent of servers and cell networks, it should communicate more reliably.

It is a dang shame we can't use Bluetooth to communicate between the My BMW and our BMW i3. My Tesla Model 3 and Tesla App is much more reliable.

Bob Wilson

When I read accounts such as yours, I think the app gets short shrift when it's really the final mile — the cellular connection — that is to blame.

I don't understand why. Whether it's the fault of the car or of the coverage are or of the cell provider. I don't know if it can be fixed.

The app had its faults but I find my commands are executed reliability. If I had to guess I'd say 95% of the time.

Take a look at this post for changes to climatize your i3 using the key fob: https://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5569

Agree with eNate. In the six weeks or so I’ve been using My BMW since taking delivery of my 2021, I’ve had zero failures. It’s much more reliable the the previous iterations BMW i app and BMW Connected.

No problems with the new app here in SW Ohio (using an iPhone 13). Did have some issues connecting with my prior 2014 i3 using the old app.

I’m in Canada, and myBMW rarely works for me for sending commands (it’s ok for reporting status) if the car is in my driveway and I’m communicating from inside the house. I’ve tried being on Wifi or cell. If I am away from the house and say head into a store and try it using cellular then it seems to work. I’m not sure then if the car being near my home wifi network is causing an issue. The old old iRemote used to work fine. I need to try turning off my home wifi to see if that makes a difference.
Anyone else experience something like this?
Also I can now just use my FOB to activate climate control but I can’t remotely provide a departure time to precondition the battery. That’s why I need the App to work.

Walidaly said:
Any idea ?

Android?

There's a known issue. The work-around:

Install Firefox or Dolphin.

Change your default browser to the new browser.

Change your default browser back to Chrome.

This doesn't always work first try. You may need to power cycle your phone. I've uninstalled Chrome, reinstalled the My BMW app, and pulled a few hairs out. But ultimately, the above steps get me through it.

My app was saying "oops we have a problem" BMW says im good and all connected.

I noticed the problem is the car. Not the app.
Not sure how to stop it from happening.

When i enter the car but dont turn it on ....a menu appears with a checkbox that says something to the effect of "allow preconditioning" if this is selected everything is fine.

If i turn the car on the menue goes away.

That works for a while...then for reasons i dont understand it becomes unselected again...i have to physically go to the car to select it again.

It never used to do that. I took it in for an oil change and now it is silly.

Any adeas how to fix it? Free of charge?

Back