DCFC Level 3 charging not reliable

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When DCFC is attempted, the ACV input plug pins get repurposed to be serial data lines that communicate with the CCS unit and are required to manage the charging of the vehicle.

As was mentioned, the weight of the plug and (mostly) cable can distort the socket so that the serial data communications cannot be reliably performed.

From what I understand, characterizing it as level 3 is colloquial, it doesn't seem to be described in that manner in the specification, it's CCS charging. Level x relates to ACV inputs.

Most of the batteries in use utilize somewhere in the high 300-400 volts fully charged. There are some out now, and probably more coming, that utilize up to 800-volts. So, while I haven't looked, I'm guessing the DC fast charging 'levels' may be tied to the voltages available. A CCS unit is a variable DC power supply, and the different levels may indicate what range of output they can provide...guess I'll look into that before I buy another vehicle that can do CCS charging. I'm selling my i3 and have an X5 PHEV, and it doesn't even have CCS capability. It's unlikely a homeowner in the near term will have a CCS unit in their home because of the cost and power input requirements. The i3 can handle 50Kw input...using a 240vac supply, if you assume 100% efficiency, that's over 208A and more realistically, you'd need closer to 230A input and if you then factored in the 80% rule, over 260A...my condo only has a 100A service! And, not many homes will have nearly 300A spare power coming in, either!

A CCS charge, when you need it, is great, if it works and you can find an open unit. The i3 was designed as a city, commuting vehicle, so a CCS charge, while nice, wasn't considered critical except maybe to those city dwellers that can't plug in when they get home. IMHO, it's not a great long-distance vehicle choice, and that's where CCS charging shines, and becomes almost a necessity. That's one reason why I bought my X5 PHEV...I can go EV mode for most of my driving, but easy, quick refueling along the way should I need or want to go further, even on the spur of the moment.

Back