End of production

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 2024 date comes from an article published right at the end of 2019.
https://ecomento.de/2019/12/12/bmw-i3-wird-bis-2024-weitergebaut/

Translated here:
The new BMW boss, who took office in the middle of the year, confirmed in October that the brand's first - and so far only - all-electric car will be built for a longer period of time. At the time, Oliver Zipse did not reveal for what period the i3 small car, launched in 2013, will still be available - another BMW manager has now made up for that.

“The i 3 will continue to be built into 2024,” said the spokesman for the Leipzig plant, Julian Friedrich, on Wednesday for the Leipziger Volkszeitung. Few expected that the series would continue to roll off the production line for so long. Although the i3 has been improved again and again and now offers significantly more range than when it was first introduced, more and more modern electric vehicles are entering the market.

BMW actually updates its models after seven years at the latest - or even discontinues them in individual cases. A spokeswoman told the Leipziger Volkszeitung that this is handled differently with the i3 by saying that the electric car is "very successful". According to the manufacturer, sales are growing year after year, "in Europe this year by around 20 percent," said Zipse in October.

The fact that the i3 is being built is also due to the fact that no direct successor is planned for it. BMW's current focus on electric cars is on other segments and models, so the i3 should continue to appeal to customers with an interest in smaller electric cars for the time being.

i3 earns money for BMW
In future, BMW will produce its new battery-powered models on the basis of flexible architectures that enable a production line with hybrids and conventional combustion engines. The i3, on the other hand, is elaborately manufactured with its own production and lightweight construction using carbon. The investments have already been written off and each vehicle earns money for the company. “Why in God's name should we give up this car, which is now at the height of its time? We are sure: the i3 still has great potential, ”said Zipse.

In order for the i3 to remain competitive, BMW intends to further upgrade the technology - Zipse has announced that the model will "make another leap" in terms of battery and operating concept. The i3, which costs from 38,000 euros, can currently cover 359 kilometers on one charge in accordance with the NEDC standard; according to BMW, up to 260 kilometers are possible in everyday life.

The i8, the second series of BMW's electric sub-brand i, will no longer be built, unlike the i3. In December, the 20,000th NEDC model of the sports car with plug-in hybrid drive and 55 kilometers of purely electric range was manufactured. The anniversary vehicle is a roadster from the Ultimate Sophisto Edition, which is limited to 200 pieces. The i8, which has been available since 2014, will expire next year; a direct successor is not planned as with the i3.

I believe the EV landscape has changed a lot since late 2019. I don't think i3 will be competitive in its current form until 2024. So will BMW do a major investment to improve the car's technology and wiring? I think they would if they were going to replace it with a new model on a similar platform. I still think if their other EVs flop (which is very likely for i3x and i4 due to shared platforms and ix is too expensive), they might have no choice but to keep i3 in production for longer. Personally I think iX will be the best EV in the market, but it won't sell in enough volume to give BMW credibility that they need in the EV space.

That's my interpretation, too. The i3 unintentionally turned into a stop-gap for a gap that became much larger than anyone every imagined.

The i3 production can't be scaled up in any meaningful way. In many respects it can't be improved without retooling the CF molds. But I can't imagine some simple electronic enhancements (upgraded camera and sensors, add radar) would require major re-work, especially if they share commonality with another vehicle.

Ultimately will anybody be interested in purchasing new i3s in 2022? 2023? That's going to depend on what else is on the lot, or in the window across the street. Despite all the new and announced EVs, none in the US really fill the i3's small city-car niche. It may have longer legs than we think?

One of my favorite quotes about i01:

It’s a miracle the i3 exists at all.

Think about this for a second ... BEV (plus the range extender) comes in under 3,000 lbs. They did this of course by having a smaller battery, but more importantly by developing a carbon-composite chassis with composite body panels. But the newer models, sans range extender but with larger battery, still barely tip 3k.

Brand new platform, completely whacky manufacturing techniques for body and chassis (done in a place with 100% renewable energy) ... at expected low volumes.

No manufacturer in their right mind should do this, and for BMW, who clearly pivoted to CUVs and barely sells manuals in the US anymore, it’s a freak of automotive nature.
From a Jalopnik reader comment

MKH said:
The 2024 date comes from an article published right at the end of 2019.
https://ecomento.de/2019/12/12/bmw-i3-wird-bis-2024-weitergebaut/
MKH thanks for the translation above. Great insight there.

For all the good attributes the i3 has, it was obsolete the day the Tesla Model 3 arrived (2017), at least in North America. A Model 3 costs about the same without federal help, as an i3 minus $7,500 federal. Even BMW's own Mini Cooper EV is about as fun-to-drive & priced better, at $25k after Fed rebate.

European sales are indeed very strong, like MKH's article said. ... Sales r ramping down in the U.S., partly due to the i3's high price, dorky styling, small size, novelty worn off, here in the states. Euro-tastes are different.

Elsewhere on this forum I analyzed carbon composite's structural efficiency compared to modern UHSS steel alloys & Al, and it illustrates why Tesla went with steel-Al, and GM's Bolt is steel-Al too::::
----- Computer optimization, parts shaping, alloying, treating metals, advanced joining techniqus, etc. equals what you can do with carbon composites these days, especially since crashworthiness is a design target in addition to just tensile strength needs. ... BMW knows that, which is why they aren't making other carbon composite vehicles.

websterize said:
One of my favorite quotes about i01:
It’s a miracle the i3 exists at all.Think about this for a second ... BEV (plus the range extender) comes in under 3,000 lbs. They did this of course by having a smaller battery, but more importantly by developing a carbon-composite chassis with composite body panels. But the newer models, sans range extender but with larger battery, still barely tip 3k.
From a Jalopnik reader comment

Yet, a BMW Mini Cooper EV weighs about the same as an i3. The Mini EV doesn't use composites.
Also, a Chevy Bolt is a bigger (volume) car than an i3, yet doesn't weigh much more than an i3, even though the Bolt has a ~1,000 lb belly battery.

The carbon fiber structure is lighter, but more expensive. It doesn't make sense for a regular price car. But many super cars have a carbon fiber structure. So it is superior from a technical standpoint. The Mini EV is a good example, it weighs the same with 3/4 battery size and 2 fewer doors.

BMW has not abandoned carbon fiber entirely, the iX uses carbon fiber cage (one of the reasons I think it will be the best EV in the market, period). So does the 7 series.

https://www.repairerdrivennews.com/...-includes-carbon-cage-optimized-aerodynamics/

electrons said:
For all the good attributes the i3 has, it was obsolete the day the Tesla Model 3 arrived (2017), at least in North America.

That's like saying the Toyota Yaris was obsolete because of the Corolla. They're different cars suited for different purposes.

I'm not trying to make the argument that the end of the i3 is nigh, but first there needs to be a similar car to make it so. I think introducing the ID.3 to America would be a good candidate.

Mini Cooper EV is about as fun-to-drive & priced better, at $25k after Fed rebate.

The MINI is limited, in that it is basically a two-person car. No one over the age of 5 can comfortably sit in the back seat of a 2-door MINI, where the i3 back seat is actually usable. And the cargo area in a MINI is about the size of a shoebox. Plus MINI doesn't have a great reputation for trouble-free driving (and I say this from experience as a former Mini Cooper owner), which may translate to the EV version as well. When I traded mine in, I cleaned out the glovebox of my 'hey, it's broke again' stored service receipts - after three years the pile was almost an inch thick.

MKH said:
The MINI is limited, in that it is basically a two-person car.
Passenger Volume is almost the same between an i3 and a Mini Cooper EV (84 vs. 80 ft3). I'd bet that last missing 4 ft3 is all taken from the back seat, like you mention.
Still, lots of people on a budget will like the $25k "Mini" price tag after fed rebate. If you can't afford an i3 & still want a "cool" fun EV, then it's the one.

MKH said:
MINI doesn't have a great reputation for trouble-free driving
I think you're right. I've heard that a lot anecdotally. .... Now, I just looked at Consumer Report's massive owner surveys data for 2018 Mini Coopers, and, they are horrible.
The specific failure-prone areas would indeed, yes, be shared on the EV model, as theBMW ICE engine & tranny themselves are quite good. It is ~mostly body, brakes, knobs, latches, climate control systems, mostly non-engine stuff driving owners nuts.
I would steer clear of Minis. Don't buy. They are fun to drive though! Maybe lease for 2 or 3 years, that's it. Under warranty only!!!

eNate said:
electrons said:
For all the good attributes the i3 has, it was obsolete the day the Tesla Model 3 arrived (2017), at least in North America.
That's like saying the Toyota Yaris was obsolete because of the Corolla. They're different cars suited for different purposes.
They aren't that different. For somebody who wants a cool EV, & they only want to (or can) spend up to $38k, 90% of people would pick the Tesla, no doubt. From a sales & market-capture standpoint, the Tesla Model 3 EV took over the EV market, mostly to blame for the huge BMW i3 sales drop. Take a look at the sales figures & it's dramatic. The Model 3 also stole sales away from other luxury-performance models too, but the i3 was hit especially hard.

Both cars are used for commuting, shopping, & the Tesla can even be used on long trips with the hiway charger network and long range.
Tesla Model 3 stomps BMW i3. (For those who need something small for city parking, the i3 wins, the i3's only advantage.)

electrons said:
eNate said:
electrons said:
They aren't that different. For somebody who wants a cool EV, & they only want to (or can) spend up to $38k, 90% of people would pick the Tesla, no doubt. From a sales & market-capture standpoint, the Tesla Model 3 EV took over the EV market, mostly to blame for the huge BMW i3 sales drop. Take a look at the sales figures & it's dramatic. The Model 3 also stole sales away from other luxury-performance models too, but the i3 was hit especially hard.

Both cars are used for commuting, shopping, & the Tesla can even be used on long trips with the hiway charger network and long range.
Tesla Model 3 stomps BMW i3. (For those who need something small for city parking, the i3 wins, the i3's only advantage.)

You assume everyone pays MSRP for the i3. In PZEV states you can lease an i3 for significantly less than the cheapest Tesla. The US MSRP for i3 is ridiculous. In Europe it is significantly cheaper than a Model 3. In general for any BMW in US market you should either lease or buy used/CPO.

agzand said:
The carbon fiber structure is lighter, but more expensive. It doesn't make sense for a regular price car. But many super cars have a carbon fiber structure. So it is superior from a technical standpoint. The Mini EV is a good example, it weighs the same with 3/4 battery size and 2 fewer doors.

BMW has not abandoned carbon fiber entirely, the iX uses carbon fiber cage (one of the reasons I think it will be the best EV in the market, period). So does the 7 series.

https://www.repairerdrivennews.com/...-includes-carbon-cage-optimized-aerodynamics/

Great post! Yes, we engineers are concerned about cost, due to obvious MBA-degreed marketing-types running around most companies. It matters.
And composites can be more expensive. The way BMW was doing it, they DID manage to make money on the i3, partly due to efficient manufacturing, but mostly saved by great European sales figures to get the volume up.

I will disagree with your "superior from a technical standpoint" statement. Carbon composites have been around since 1981 in aerospace applications, and it is largely because of minimal crush (crash forces) requirements & also the more fully monocoque & cantilever structures are better suited for the isotropic (directional) strength properties of carbon fiber.

Now compare that with an i3 body, which has large door openings & crash crush requirements. That is mostly the reason why Steel-Al car bodies can equal it. Steel-Al can also be shaped & optimized using advanced algorithms (think Barto-Sutton AI algorithms like used in AlphaGo) in finite element programs, as GM & Honda have led the way in. It's the reason why the Chevy Bolt is that good structurally.

As for your excellent citation of: https://www.repairerdrivennews.com/2020/11/24/electric-bmw-ixs-body-features-includes-carbon-cage-optimized-aerodynamics/ , that article, about the year-away BMW iX, is what BMW wishes they would have done for the i3 back in 2013 !!
Notice carbon fiber, in the iX, is only making sense for limited usage in those areas where isotropic materials can be used for strength in select areas.

BMW's big blunder in recent history is NOT doing the selective smart usage of carbon fiber (they're now doing for the BMW iX) in the i3.

Everybody should read https://www.repairerdrivennews.com/2020/11/24/electric-bmw-ixs-body-features-includes-carbon-cage-optimized-aerodynamics/ cited by agzand, and think how easy it would have been to do that around 2012 or so for the BMW i3.

agzand said:
You assume everyone pays MSRP for the i3. In PZEV states you can lease an i3 for significantly less than the cheapest Tesla. The US MSRP for i3 is ridiculous. In Europe it is significantly cheaper than a Model 3. In general for any BMW in US market you should either lease or buy used/CPO.
I generally agree with that. Used BMW i3's are a great deal.

It is amazing how much people are still paying for new base (no options) BMW i3's in Colorado. Not MSRP of course. Market price is only $3k less than MSRP here.
Most folks don't want a tiny dorky box with low EV range for $42k ($35k with Fed rebate). The ones that pass it up don't get that it's fun to drive, or think enough of that to make them buy it. Add a couple of options, or pick an "S" sport model i3s, and it's a Tesla Model 3 $39k price quickly.
All that explains why they have to do amazing lease deals to move i3's at all.

bGzi7HS.jpg

Tesla Model 3 stomps BMW i3.

Different customers.

On top of that the Model 3 is even worse than the Mini as far as reliability issues are concerned. Green Car Reports wrote that Model 3 “build quality was the worst we have seen on any new car from any maker over the last 10 years”. A report in the Los Angeles Times noted similar feedback from owners.

Build quality is huge issue - one reviewer compared the Model 3's build quality to that of Kia's when they first entered the market. Misaligned body panels are common as is thin and badly applied bubbled paint. Many Model 3's also arrives fresh from the factory with body rust coming through the paint on doors and door sills - in other words the car was rusty before it got painted..

A list of common Model 3 issues are:
Blurry backup camera
Rust
Touchscreen failure
Paint finish
Door, window, and trunk defects
Shutdown while driving
Locked out of car (no metal key) . Example - if your 12v fails, you can't open the door, or the hood.

And since you order your car sight unseen - you get what you get, warts and all. You do have a 7 day return window, or you can choose to have the car 'repaired' at a regional Tesla repair center (one of the reasons for the months long wait for Tesla service). So many were returning their Model 3s in that 7 day window and trying again, that Tesla made it a rule if you returned your new i3 for build quality defects, you weren't allowed to order another Tesla for a year.

The repair network for Tesla is poor. No dealer to go to, only regional repair shops, which are mostly swamped and backed up. Waiting several months just for parts to arrive for a repair is not uncommon, and though they provide some loaner cars, there aren't near enough of them to come close to meeting customer demand.

electrons said:
agzand said:
I generally agree with that. Used BMW i3's are a great deal.

It is amazing how much people are still paying for new base (no options) BMW i3's in Colorado. Not MSRP of course. Market price is only $3k less than MSRP here.
Most folks don't want a tiny dorky box with low EV range for $42k ($35k with Fed rebate). The ones that pass it up don't get that it's fun to drive, or think enough of that to make them buy it. Add a couple of options, or pick an "S" sport model i3s, and it's a Tesla Model 3 $39k price quickly.
All that explains why they have to do amazing lease deals to move i3's at all.

bGzi7HS.jpg

Often there has been $11k corporate discount for the i3. That brings down the price to mid $20s for the well optioned cars. I agree there is no reason to purchase the i3 unless you can get that sort of discount.

electrons said:
For somebody who wants a cool EV, & they only want to (or can) spend up to $38k, 90% of people would pick the Tesla, no doubt.
Maybe I choose cars for odd reasons, but I would never consider buying a Model 3 because of its size, weight, and body style. For those who want a compact hatchback EV, an i3 would be chosen over a Model 3. I don't care whether the prices are similar.

I meet Tesla Model 3's most days. At a distance, I think it is just another cheap economy car. As it passes, I realize it is a Tesla. To me, they are uninspiring old-school designs to the eye. Inside, I hate the oversize display of info that should be up in front of the eyes and the cheap-looking dash. Tesla has great technology and blah cars.

I never get tired of the I3. It is not a perfect car, but it never ceases to impress me.

Maybe I choose cars for odd reasons, but I would never consider buying a Model 3 because of its size, weight, and body style. For those who want a compact hatchback EV, an i3 would be chosen over a Model 3. I don't care whether the prices are similar.

I think this applies to a lot of i3 owners, myself included. :D

This is the end of the road for our favorite car https://www.bmwblog.com/2021/06/25/bmw-i3-era-comes-to-an-end-in-the-u-s-this-july/
My local dealer says that there are no more modifiable build slots left, but they happen to have a car configured pretty close to what I need coming in next week, so I'll swallow the $500(!) wireless charger and 429 wheels instead of 428.

Back