Connected Services Ending - Offical

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So i haven't seen an email, and I have a 2016 - do we know when the cutoff for this 3G issue is? (by that I mean which models/build dates)

So i haven't seen an email, and I have a 2016 - do we know when the cutoff for this 3G issue is? (by that I mean which models/build dates)

I believe that BMW started putting 4G LTE in i3's in 2018. 2017 and older - 3G.

MKH said:

And I believe that BMW started putting 4G LTE in i3's in 2017 model year. 2016 and older - 3G.
Why?
1: REALOEM parts list shows the 4G TCU for vehicles built post July 2016
2: Based on that, there is a possibility that "some" very late build 2016 vehicles have a 4G TCU but that seems unlikely.
3: 2017 owners have reported beening able to renew their Connected Subscriptions recently with expiration dates past the Feb 2022 sunset date.
4: 2013-2016 owners are not allowed to renew because service cannot be guaranteed past Feb 2022.
5: I have a 4G label on my 2017 Telematics Control Unit. The label is different from the 3G ones.

I know that is all just circumstantial evidence, but it is all I have.
It is certainly more substantial than "I heard from someone" stories that are repeated over and over.
There does not seem to be any Master List that definitively shows what is what and I suppose we will be having this discussion right up until the Feb 2022 and possibly beyond.

In the meantime, I am going to renew my Connected Service for my 2017 in a couple of weeks when it expires (4 years from when it was originally sold and activated).

EvanstonI3 said:
MKH said:

And I believe that BMW started putting 4G LTE in i3's in 2017 model year. 2016 and older - 3G.
Why?
1: REALOEM parts list shows the 4G TCU for vehicles built post July 2016
2: Based on that, there is a possibility that "some" very late build 2016 vehicles have a 4G TCU but that seems unlikely.
3: 2017 owners have reported beening able to renew their Connected Subscriptions recently with expiration dates past the Feb 2022 sunset date.
4: 2013-2016 owners are not allowed to renew because service cannot be guaranteed past Feb 2022.
5: I have a 4G label on my 2017 Telematics Control Unit. The label is different from the 3G ones.

I know that is all just circumstantial evidence, but it is all I have.
It is certainly more substantial than "I heard from someone" stories that are repeated over and over.
There does not seem to be any Master List that definitively shows what is what and I suppose we will be having this discussion right up until the Feb 2022 and possibly beyond.

In the meantime, I am going to renew my Connected Service for my 2017 in a couple of weeks when it expires (4 years from when it was originally sold and activated).

On another forum, there’s an i3 technician who said that while the parts and coding is possible, BMW will not be allowing people to register the new telematics module with them.

MKH said:
Sneaky BMW :roll:

The 'new' My BMW App was recently rolled out - much the same functionality as the old one, though added the charging alerts which is nice. Then last night tried to log in, and got shunted to a page with two check boxes for new Terms of Use. Under the BMW Connecteddrive Terms of use, reading all the legal spiel in the agreement, by checking the box, you basically agree to letting BMW completely off the hook for any loss of connected service because of 3G sun setting. Guess they saw the angry postings about a class action lawsuit. Oh, and you can no longer use the App if you don't agree to the new Connected BMW terms.

Yes. They are forcing people to give up their rights. I did not agree for a while but 100F days were way too much to handle.

Anyway... BMW is willing to take the dent in the brand loyalty, it will cost them more in long term.

Back