eNate

Left Aspherical Mirror Part # Differ in LH- / RH-Drive Markets?

Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:19 am

I installed a pair of genuine BMW euro-spec aspherical side view mirrors on my i3.

I am taken aback by how disorienting the driver side mirror is. Don't get me wrong, it's something I'm adapting to and I appreciate the wider field of visibility, which is the reason I purchased these. But specifically what I believe I'm noticing is my eyes have to adjust their focus when I glance at the mirror, and I'm also getting used to how close vehicles are in reality vs. how far away they appear in the mirror. Yeah, intuitively I understood that going in, just like with our existing "Objects In Mirror Are Closer Than They Appear" right-side mirrors, but in actual use it's coming as a surprise I have to get used to.

Anyhow...

The mirrors same from Latvia, a country where, like in the US, they drive on the right, and the driver sits on the left.

But it got me wondering, with aspherical mirrors, is the left-side mirror made differently for installation on a left-hand drive car versus a right-hand drive car? If nobody knows the answer off-hand I'll pull up the parts diagrams to see if I can tell. But I don't recall ever seeing them listed that way,
Last edited by eNate on Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 0 2 1   B M W   i 3   1 2 0 A h   B E V  O a k l a n d
 Wokeby Trunk Extension | Duosida 16A L1 EVSE
 SeaSucker Monkey Bar Roof Rack

eXodus

Re: Are there Right and Left-Hand-Drive Aspherical Mirrors?

Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:27 am

I just bought no-name off aspherical mirrors of Amazon/ Ebay the looked fairly similar to me for both sides - I tried to install the wrong first.

First - yes Aspherical is distorted - that the idea behind it. I'm from Europe and been driving this mirrors all my life.

As soon as I get a car without those, my Brain says: "you don't see anything around you. That's not save"
Now living in the US - had to order Euro Aspherical Mirrors for all my vehicles (Volvo, BMW, Chevy) because the I can't drive with the focusing style mirrors anymore. I have really hard time gauging the distance with those. My brain is hardwired to the aspherical mode of mirrors

I would give it a few more days to get your Brain get adjusted to the distortion. You eyes are fine - your Brain needs to rewire those connections to make sense of that picture.

eNate

Re: Are there Right and Left-Hand-Drive Aspherical Mirrors?

Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:24 pm

eXodus wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:27 am

I would give it a few more days to get your Brain get adjusted to the distortion. You eyes are fine - your Brain needs to rewire those connections to make sense of that picture.

Lol, yeah, I'm adjusting. What's weird though is if I face straight ahead and just shift my eyeballs over to the mirror that's fine, it's when I turn my head that I get the "refocusing" phenomenon. But I'm already feeling pretty accustom to it, and it's only been three drives.

Timmins

Re: Left Aspherical Mirror Part # Differ in LH- / RH-Drive Markets?

Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:29 am

I'm a fan of an aspherical mirror for safe driving. Does anyone have the BMW part number for a left side (LH-drive) aspherical mirror?
Also, where did you find the seller in Latvia? Was it eBay? Thanks!

eNate

Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:35 am

Timmins

Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:07 pm

Thanks for the eBay link. I placed my order.

Return to “Modifications & Accessories”