tlsallada

Anyone having luck with new "My BMW" appon Android phone?

Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:12 pm

Well I tried to cool down my i3 and was forced to download the 'new and improved' My BMW app only to find that of course, it doesn't work with Android phones, I call the folks at BMW Connected and yes, it's a known problem and hopefully they will get it working.
I'm glad they didn't test it before they released it especially during the 99 degree temps we've been experiencing lately here in Pennsylvania!! I guess BMW thinks everyone in the world has an iPhone!!!

The technology is great.....when it works!!

ScottOwnsAPanda

Re: Anyone having luck with new "My BMW" appon Android phone?

Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:52 pm

The old "BMW Connected" app still works fine on my Android phone. When I tried the new app a month or so ago, I could not login.
2 0 1 8 B M W i 3 9 4 A h B E V - Los Angeles

3pete

Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:04 pm

I have an Android phone and both the "old" BMW Connected and My BMW apps are currently working for me.

The new one has prompted me 3+ times to accept their terms and conditions in the month I've had it and it's had me log into my account at least twice so it's definitely glitchy.
tlsallada wrote: The technology is great.....when it works!!
I've never found BMW's implementation of this app to be great. The new app still takes multiple minutes for a command to succeed or fail and it still fails at an unacceptable rate on top of that. And they're taking away the entire app functionality for me (and other 2014 owners) 2 years ahead of what was originally advertised...

eNate

Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:36 pm

Works flawlessly on my LG V60 running Android 11. FWIW I prefer the new app though it doesn't offer much over the old app.
2 0 2 1   B M W   i 3   1 2 0 A h   B E V  O a k l a n d
 Wokeby Trunk Extension | Duosida 16A L1 EVSE
 SeaSucker Monkey Bar Roof Rack

eNate

Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:42 pm

3pete wrote:

I've never found BMW's implementation of this app to be great. The new app still takes multiple minutes for a command to succeed or fail and it still fails at an unacceptable rate...
I think those delays and failures have nothing to do with the app and everything to do with their backend network and cellular connections.

ScottOwnsAPanda

Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:39 am

I installed the "My BMW" app on my Android phone this morning, and it seems to be working great so far. I haven't tried to remote activate the climate control yet though.
2 0 1 8 B M W i 3 9 4 A h B E V - Los Angeles

eNate

Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:36 pm

A feature stealthily added just last week is charging history. Location and time of use based rates can be applied, and the app will now keep an approximate running tally of running costs. Nice to see some long overdue attention being paid to the app!

alohart

Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:12 pm

eNate wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:36 pm
Nice to see some long overdue attention being paid to the app!
At this rate, it might be fleshed out by the time AT&T discontinues 3G mobile data service and the app will become unusable for those of us with early i3's :x
Aloha,
Art

2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE

3pete

Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:14 pm

eNate wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:42 pm
3pete wrote:

I've never found BMW's implementation of this app to be great. The new app still takes multiple minutes for a command to succeed or fail and it still fails at an unacceptable rate...
I think those delays and failures have nothing to do with the app and everything to do with their backend network and cellular connections.
From a technical standpoint, I agree and my response was slightly tongue-in-cheek but since the app is useless without a connection to the car I think it's fair to count that flubbed connection against BMW's implementation of the app.

I have complaints about the actual app as well but I'm also bitter because they're taking away connectivity in February and lying about the fact that there is no way to upgrade to 4G.

Cbrf23

Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:10 pm

Works fine for me. No trouble connecting my X5 or my I3. Everything seems to work fine. Use the cabin pre-conditioning feature pretty regularly. Setup my daily preconditioning schedule from the app as well. Occasionally I will get an error saying it failed to send the command - I just retry sending and it always works for me.

Samsung Galaxy S20 5G running Android 11.

Return to “General / Main i3 Owners Forum”