i3 HV Battery Upgrade

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’d be interested in that battery upgrade.

I would keep my REX. I love it! No broken or seedy charge areas, lots of petrol shops still around, no need for level 2 charge.

I'm thrilled that this is being seriously considered. I definitely would buy this type of upgrade for at least one i3 (2015). 40Kwh most likely, but also interested in larger batteries. If this becomes a reality it would probably prompt me to buy a BEV i3 which is otherwise problematic for non-urban driving in the PNW. BMW's failure to update this otherwise excellent design makes this an incredibly attractive proposition for those of us who normally own a car for a decade or two.

I'd buy the 40KWh pack today. I'd have to think about the larger packs, but they're not out of the question.

I like the 40/69/90 kWh options. All seem good. Keeping my REX though as Canuck-land is a big place. East coast USA is drivable for me so works well.

I would be interested in the 90kW to increase range to 300+ miles. Question is this being a lighter car how come this car has same range (for the same size battery) than a heavier car. Is it something to do with how they manage it.

smaster553 said:
I would be interested in the 90kW to increase range to 300+ miles. Question is this being a lighter car how come this car has same range (for the same size battery) than a heavier car. Is it something to do with how they manage it.
A 90 kWh (not kW which is power, not energy) battery would be extremely heavy for an i3 using the most energy-dense cells currently available. The i3's tires, suspension, and maybe brakes and wheels would have to be upgraded to support the additional weight. So this would be a very expensive upgrade even above the cost of the high cost of a 90 kWh battery pack.

Weight doesn't affect the range of an EV as much as it does an ICE vehicle because an EV's regen can be stronger with additional weight during urban driving, and weight doesn't have much effect on the highway range of any vehicle. However, highway range is worse for vehicles with poorer aerodynamics like an i3. Our i3 has been driven in urban and suburban settings almost exclusively since we bought it in November, 2014. Its lifetime efficiency is 5.2 mi/kWh which would be difficult to match for most EV's due to their heavier weight.

I'd be thrilled to get the opportunity to upgrade my 2014 i3 battery! Likely the 40 kwh option... Or if something between 40 and 69 were available (uhh...55? ;) ) I would likely consider that too.

I'm an east coaster... So keep me posted!

I’ve owned my 2014 Electronaut REX since June 2016. I love it to death and would hate to get rid of it. There will be no other vehicle with its combination of light and strong building materials for a long time to come for the price. Saying all that I’ve never gone further than 40 miles from my home due to limited range (I try not to use the gas run generator). I would definitely consider a battery upgrade…Lyon came up with a battery package that would extend battery range to 400 miles, unfortunately BMW will not allow them to sell to the public.
As long as my batteries in my i3 maintain close to original range I would keep the vehicle and hopefully find a replacement upgrade when batteries fail, I would purchase the greatest range possible and then get rid of my Audi tdi suv. I am right now waiting…maybe a year away …for my APTERA 2 seat electric vehicle with 1,000 range. Progress is now ramping up for electric vehicles!
John

AgentiMi said:
(This is a repost from the i3 Reddit page.)

I work for a stationary energy storage company and I need an excuse to develop i3 batteries.

I wanna know just how many of you would actually buy an upgraded battery.... they are pricy... almost as much as 2 used i3s.

Here's what you will get IF we make this product:

-10-year capacity warranty.

-Increased range.

-Increased power output of the pack for modified applications.

-Faster DC charging, from 40kW to 250kW peak.

-Battery condition on climatize.

-We'll offer installation and financing.

The modules are already developed for our large stationary storage systems (300kWh+) an example application is DCFC stations. We are playing with the idea to put these packs in classic cars and it hit me. Why not the i3? or any EV.

I've made a list of possible configurations below, please vote if you would actually buy one if it was offered.

Side note. You will also need different springs and dampers in some applications, good luck.

-------------------

Cost values are for the battery pack only.

Range values are estimates in COMFORT mode driving.

kWh values indicate total usable energy and do NOT include battery buffer.

We are not asking for money. This is just to show you how much a battery pack will cost.

**** may require a different battery tray, adding to the cost.

-------------------

Here are the possible configurations listed below.

~80 miles (129km) 19kWh $6K (50kW DCFC)

~120 miles (193km) 30kWh $9.8K (70kW DCFC)

~160 miles (257km) 40kWh $13K (100kW DCFC)

~260 miles (257km) 69kWh $21.3K (150kW DCFC)

****~320 miles (515km) 90kWh $24.5K (250kW DCFC)

--------------------

I'm happy to answer questions!

We're also hiring for more engineering positions soon. Maryland and remote. I'll post about it.

Question

Will we be able to sell our current battery pack for recycling (or home use), or and then get the new ones for the difference in price. If not can we get the battery packs (old) back so we can use them for home use.

096842z said:
Lyon came up with a battery package that would extend battery range to 400 miles, unfortunately BMW will not allow them to sell to the public.
BMW couldn't prevent a 3rd-party supplier from selling parts for the i3. Lyon built this battery pack to demonstrate its wireless battery cell interconnect system and, I believe, a battery cell cooling system that surrounds the cells in a dielectric coolant. Both of these advancements free up space inside the battery compartment allowing more cells to be installed. However, Lyon apparently never intended to manufacture its i3 battery pack.

Hi

I am interested. 40kWh (100kW DCFC) sounds good to me. I do not have DC fast charging.
I am actively searching for battery upgrade for my i3.
However, what about installation?
I found a used 90Ah pack, but no shop wants to dot the swap.

I would be interested in the 40 upgrade for my i3 REX, but I'm another client in Maryland, USA.

I have a 2016 - 94Ahr REX, but would definitely be interested in the 40 or 69 Kwhr upgrade versions once my battery warranty is expired. Gives me the time to save up in the meantime. I've also heard about the LYON battery techniology, but didn't know why their systems were excluded from private sales before now. I am aware that they sell their tech for commercial vehicles in the USA & Canada.
Only thing though, will you be making this available in the UK?

I own a 2014 i3 with a little over 122,000 miles on it. I now get about 60 miles to the charge and would be interested depending on the final cost.
I saw an article that stated replacements at $16,000 about 4 years ago, but it was in the UK.

You guys do realize that these battery upgrades will also alter the dynamics of the car right? I personally would not do it.

Back