Skyking6976

My Virgin Charge Was a Nightmare!!!

Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:02 pm

Took my shiny new BEV to the closest Level 3 ChargePoint for my first charge…at a Harley dealership no less. Machine kept saying “waiting for vehicle” :oops: Over and over.

BMW is a few miles down the road so I went there. “Genius” employee walks me over and I say WTF use is a level 2 charger? I like coming to the dealership but not for 4+ hours. Takes me around to the Level 3…which only puts out half the 40 I needed. Machine said fault so I called ChargePoint. Fortunately a tech came out that owns one. He helped me work with ChargePoint to get it running.

THEN…after a couple hours sitting around I went out to unplug and leave. We’ll…the tech had swiped his card so the socket was LOCKED…and the tech was at lunch. Nightmare….finally disconnect and go back to the HD ChargePoint. Nope….authorizes, remove nozzle or whatever, stick it in and it says “waiting for vehicle”. :oops:

WHAT THE F IS GOING ON HERE?!!!!!!!!!!!! I’ve got 2 months of this nightmare before we move in the house with a level 2 charger in the garage. Oh…this BMW “genius” that tried to help me was far from it. I learned more from the tech (who has owned an i3) than that guy.

eNate

Re: My Virgin Charge Was a Nightmare!!!

Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:22 pm

I've read stories of nothing but frustration and failure at Harley dealerships.
2 0 2 1   B M W   i 3   1 2 0 A h   B E V  O a k l a n d
 Wokeby Trunk Extension | Duosida 16A L1 EVSE
 SeaSucker Monkey Bar Roof Rack

Arm

Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:23 pm

What socket was it locked in?

3pete

Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:33 pm

eNate wrote: I've read stories of nothing but frustration and failure at Harley dealerships.
I'll second that. It makes one wonder just how "standard" the charge/communication protocol is, because reading through plugshare check-ins around me it seems like BMWs are more prone to communication failures preventing DC charges.

I'm still curious about this product which specifically states it is NOT compatible with the i3. Isn't the J1772 standard, you know, a standard???
https://qccharge.com/products/jesla-jr
NOTE: Effective June 2018, due to an update in manufacturing of the Tesla® UMC units, our JESLA JR will not work with the BMW i3. Please call or write about our other options, including the original JESLA.

The ONLY DC chargers I've had reliable success at are the Electrify America ones. And part of that is because they have multiple stations. If one doesn't work you just move to another one (which I have had to do once or twice). And the bonus is they're typically all provisioned for 150+kW so they won't break a sweat maxing out the i3's max charge instead of some Harley chargers at ~25kW

Skyking6976

Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:16 am

After I calmed down a bit, I started researching and was very impressed with Electrify America Nate. There’s one not far from the bridge we cross to see the grandkids. The app seems very slick as well. It’s an 11 mile drive so…

Doing all the work over 6-7 weeks finding one of these, I did very little research on charging :( When considering buying one I saw the Harley dealer had a “Level 3” as did the BMW dealer a couple miles further down the road. I thought OK… I’ll stop buy 1-2 times a week for a quick 30 mile charge… No idea “Level 3” has such a wide meaning. When I thought of level 3, my understand was giving the car the max it could take.

Skyking6976

Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:24 am

Arm wrote:
CCS ??? Locked in the car port because both the tech and I tried our cards to get the thing to work. Further after being home and hour or so, I called CP and said hey…the app is still showing I’m at BMW charging. She couldn’t fix it but passed it on to someone in IT. I didn’t want someone charging with my account. She said no worries it’s showing a fault and wasn’t used for a couple weeks before I used it :shock:

Arm

Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:08 pm

Skyking6976 wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:24 am
Arm wrote:
CCS ??? Locked in the car port because both the tech and I tried our cards to get the thing to work. Further after being home and hour or so, I called CP and said hey…the app is still showing I’m at BMW charging. She couldn’t fix it but passed it on to someone in IT. I didn’t want someone charging with my account. She said no worries it’s showing a fault and wasn’t used for a couple weeks before I used it :shock:
If I understand correctly, you're saying the charging connector was locked onto your vehicle?

Skyking6976

Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:14 am

Yes…because the BMW tech and I were having a problem clearing the “fault” and we would alternately swipe our cards to clear the fault. The CP rep on the phone “forced” the machine to dispense electricity and I guess when it did the tech’s card was the last one used so it was locked until the tech came back to shut it off. However, the app still showed my car “charging” but the percent never changed.

Arm

Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:42 am

Skyking6976 wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:14 am
Yes…because the BMW tech and I were having a problem clearing the “fault” and we would alternately swipe our cards to clear the fault. The CP rep on the phone “forced” the machine to dispense electricity and I guess when it did the tech’s card was the last one used so it was locked until the tech came back to shut it off. However, the app still showed my car “charging” but the percent never changed.
Silly question but when you tried to remove the cable from your car, was it locked or unlocked? The i3 has a feature where you can set the charging port on the vehicle to lock the cable in place whike the vehicle is charging.

eNate

Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:00 am

Inside the rear door sill, under a stryofoam cover, is a manual release for the charging cable lock. I've had to use this once -- it works.

And once lock is released, the trigger on the CCS head can be depressed, which (in theory at least) sends a signal back to the DCFC to command it to cease charging. So if everything is working as it should, you can disconnect safely, without an arc.
2 0 2 1   B M W   i 3   1 2 0 A h   B E V  O a k l a n d
 Wokeby Trunk Extension | Duosida 16A L1 EVSE
 SeaSucker Monkey Bar Roof Rack

Return to “General / Main i3 Owners Forum”