My Virgin Charge Was a Nightmare!!!

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Arm said:
Anything at or above 50kW is considered L3 in general until you start entering HP territory. You are essentially breaking down the level categories into the sub-categories for the two types of current types...which to most people is irrelevant. For home users, L3 charging at 50kW is not an option due to cost and the fact that home currents are AC and capped at 240V to the panel/breaker. Even a 19.2kW unit at home is highly unusual if at all possible given the high current.
My point is that your categorizations of charging levels are colloquial and not supported by official SAE charging standards which leads to confusion. Why not use standards that are defined and thus minimize confusion?

You allege that any charging power at or greater than 50 kW is "L3". That's the first I have read that definition. Most people seem to consider any DC fast charging as "L3" including 20-25 kW DC chargers. That's the problem with using terms with no standard definition.

Early on, Tesla sold an AC Level 2 home EVSE that could charge at 19.2 kW (240 V @ 80 A). Early Model S's could be optioned with 2 40 A on-board chargers so that their owners could charge at 19.2 kW at home. A typical home doesn't have sufficient excess electrical panel capacity for a 100 A circuit on which to install such a high-powered home EVSE, so home charging this powerful is indeed unusual.

"Inside the rear door sill, under a stryofoam cover, is a manual release for the charging cable lock. I've had to use this once -- it works."

Are you talking about the right, rear suicide door or the hatchback 5th door?

Back