Klinggaard

I3 windshield washer dead / troubleshooting

Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:39 pm

Hi board,

My wife has a 2016 model BMW i3 Rex, that short time ago got a problem that gives me a headache.

The wipers work front a rear, but no water comes to the windows when activated.

Firstly i tried to clean the windscreen water tank for gel, as i heard that could be an issue. No gel detected.

Then i realised the pump wasnt activated when activated on the wiper, so ordered a new pump - it made no difference.

The i realised i had bimmerlink, so ran some diagnose and i got errors:

Error 804288 - Washer water pump at the rear: line interuption or short circut to positve.

Error 80428A - Front washing water pump: line interuption or short circut to postive.

I have checked all fuses in the fusebox in front of the passenger seat, and no where defective.

Anybody have a good advice, before i hand the car over to BMW ?

Arm

Re: I3 windshield washer dead / troubleshooting

Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:52 pm

I've never had this issue before. So I"m not sure what to recommend...can anyone chime in?

MKH
Gold Member

Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:41 am

Check the wiring near and around the pump, as far as you can, for rodent chewing.
Mark H.
2015 i3 Rex, Capparis White, Tera World, Technology & Driving Assistant, Parking Assistant, Harman Kardon Audio System, 19 inch Rial X10-i wheels, EVoInnovate EVSE

frictioncircle

Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:56 pm

Never heard of this failure either!

On my ICE BMW, the pump runs in two directions (relay-controlled). FWD directs water to the windshield, REV directs water to the rear window.

With the hood open, have someone sit in the driver's seat and call for water at the windshield and then the rear hatch. Regardless of whether you get spray or not, can you hear the pump run? If yes, then the water lines may be blocked or cracked (and leaking).

If you can't hear the pump run, locate the pump, disconnect it electrically, and check the harness pins with a multimeter while someone again sits in the driver's seat and calls for water.

If you have voltage changes then that indicates a pump motor failure. In my ICE BMW it's an easy replacement: drain the reservoir, remove it from the car, and pull the pump (it's friction-fitted into an opening in the reservoir).

If you don't see any voltage change at the harness (and are sure you're checking the right pins) then it could be the stalk switch, control module, or a wiring break somewhere.

Let us know what happens!

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”