Question on Installing Level 2 Charger @Home

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am buying a 2018 i3 Rex sport (i think it has a 94kwh battery?) and I need to know what kind of charger I should get. I have a 240v 50a circuit already in the garage. Juicebox has a 48a charger (out of stock now). Is that the unit I should try to get? Thank you!

A 50 amp circuit supports a 40 amp EVSE.

There are many choices. Decide what features you want, pick a reputable brand.

Know that the i3 will only accept 30-32 amps maximum.

I have a 2019 i3s with the largest battery. It took 20 hours for a full charge at 110 volts from say 30 miles left with the charger provided with the car. I had the garage wired for 220 and got a 40 amp plug in Clipper Creek 2d hand on e-Bay which has has so far worked flawlessly. The work required an upgrade 200 amp service which was quite expensive but the 1400 .00 to run 220 out to the garage is supposedly tax deductible. You might look into this. In the present cold temps--as low as 28-- during the day, I am charging a couple of times a week. In warm weather off the charger I show 187 miles and right now as low as 153. I think going for more than you need right now is the best course as batteries are only going to get bigger. Good luck.

rougeetnoir said:
I think going for more than you need right now is the best course as batteries are only going to get bigger.
Battery pack capacity shouldn't be the primary consideration when deciding the rating of a charging circuit. The distance driven daily is more important, and this is independent of the battery pack capacity. With most EV's typically being charged overnight, even charging at only 16 A @ 240 V would be sufficient for most EV drivers to replace the energy consumed the previous day.

To replace the energy consumed on one's typical daily drive would take approximately the same time for almost any EV. Most North American EV's charge at a maximum of 7.2 kW with a very few 9.6 kW exceptions.

Back