Installing after market backup camera

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
helmethair3000 said:
Just wanted to let you guys know, after about 6 mos of owning a used 2014 i3 I was able to successfully get a backup camera installed for less than $600 US in Los Angeles. It's fantastic, and uses the i3's monitor as display. Automatically comes on when reversing, has working steering/parking lines, and even works with the i3's stock distance sensors (shows on the screen with markers potential hazards the car can hit). The company that makes the interface kit is NavTV (https://navtv.com/products/NTV-KIT717/bmw12n-dynamic-kit.html).

This is certainly much more affordable than the $2200 option dealers were telling me to install with the OEM version.

-drew

Can you tell me where in LA you have your camera installed?

I also installed an after market camera last weekend. I bought the video interface directly from China (Aliexpress):

h0vn7.jpg

A Sony camera:

tl0qh.jpg

The installation was not as smooth as I was hoping for. I had to modify the pin orientation of the LVDS cables but now everything seems to work well :p

The car image on the PDC display has changed, though :roll:

45nvk.jpg

Nice of you to share the details. Thank you. I think I might just go for a 2017 if I can get over my fear about BMW expensive repairs and battery obsolesence.

Thanks again for the post.

Edit:
I made the leap and love love love my 2017 REx.

Star63 said:
I also installed an after market camera last weekend. I bought the video interface directly from China (Aliexpress):

h0vn7.jpg

A Sony camera:

tl0qh.jpg

The installation was not as smooth as I was hoping for. I had to modify the pin orientation of the LVDS cables but now everything seems to work well :p

The car image on the PDC display has changed, though :roll:

45nvk.jpg

Hi @Star63,

can you please share details about the unit you bought on Aliexpress? There are several different versions (NBT vs NBT Evo,...).

Thanks in advance!

So I assume you installed the unit under the rear seat. Just looking at the link what are the pin settings you used? What kind of alteration did you do for the cable to work back to the front display?

Hi can you give more details how you did
modify the pin orientation of the LVDS cables?
Maybe some pictures maybe some pictures?

I was gonna get this it's cheaper than the navtool? No info how to install the navtool though

The new Video Interface is meant to be used in other BMW models and installed under the dash. The existing long LVDS cable is supposed to connect the Head Unit to the Video Interface and the supplied new LVDS cable would go from the Interface to the Screen.

In BMW i3 the Video Interface must go under the rear seat. The new cable will now connect the Head Unit to the Interface and the existing cable the Interface to the Screen. This will cause two issues:

1. Pin orientation of the new cable should be copied from the existing long cable. And the long cable needs to be modified so, that the orientation is the same at both ends.

2. The new cable must have an angled connector to fit in the Head Unit. I ordered a new cable with such a connector. It might have been possible to swap the angled connector from the existing (long) cable.

Hi,
Did you copy the pin orientation or modified it some other way? Could you provide a picture of the pin/wires? Or give some more details?

Did you also have to do any coding for it to work?
Also what about routing the wire for the camera? Was it easy to do? Where u ended it putting the camera?

Im going to make the purchase today

Thank you appreciate your time

phoang8807 said:
Hi,
Did you copy the pin orientation or modified it some other way? I copied the pin orientation but had to buy another cable with an angled connector. Could you provide a picture of the pin/wires? Unfortunately, I don't have any available. Or give some more details?

Did you also have to do any coding for it to work? No.
Also what about routing the wire for the camera? Was it easy to do? It was easy but I had to remove the licence plate and center panel of the rear bumper Where u ended it putting the camera? Between the licence plate lights (see the picture).

Im going to make the purchase today Good luck! :)

Thank you appreciate your time

Thank you for replying. Can you provide the link for the angle connector? Got all the stuffs but haven't got around to install it yet. Do i need some crimp tool also?

I don't have a link available.

Here you can see the problem. The connector should be angled (= turned 90 degrees) to fit.

5xruz.jpg

I have a 2015 model i wonder if the connections are the same? So where did you find the angle connector? Just wondering. Was it ebay?

Thank you

Has anyone tried this Kit?

Car Video Interface with Dynamic Parking Guidelines for BMW i3 i8 with Idrive 5.0 NBT EVO system
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/G7ZNQbO

I bought one.

It has straight connector. The same as in central display.

You mount two boxes MMI and black box near central display and then two wires - camera and probably power and CAN to back seat.
Under back seat you connect short wire with rectangular slots in between of original wire.

At the moment - to switch front camera I hold MENU for 3 seconds. Cannot enter MMI menu to setup automatic switch to front camera for 5 seconds after rear.

Does anybody know how to enter MMI menu?

I installed a Road Top Car Play unit ($299) along with a Kenwood CMOS 230 ($99) camera today. Step by step video from the manufacturer was easy to follow and it works good! Not bad for only $400 ... Apple Car Play AND a camera. When I originally started looking into this, it seemed as if it was going to cost $600-$1000 and I figured I'd just go without. So glad I stumbled on this - highly recommend. Works on either size screen by flipping a couple of dip-switches. Backup lines move while turning, minimal tools needed. Highly recommend.

Car Play unit: https://www.amazon.com/Road-Top-Wireless-2012-2017-MirrorLink/dp/B087R9LZBV
Camera: https://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-CMOS...hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584413735715724&psc=1

Roark said:
I installed a Road Top Car Play unit ($299) along with a Kenwood CMOS 230 ($99) camera today. Step by step video from the manufacturer was easy to follow and it works good! Not bad for only $400 ... Apple Car Play AND a camera.

Wondering how it's going with this setup? Any issues?

Back