websterize

Re: Getting into rear seats by folding front seats only?

It's a tight fit. ;) In the photo below, the front, LHD seat is positioned for a 6 foot 1 (185 cm) driver.

2018 i3 Sport BEV | Coding spreadsheet
appie

Thanks for the picture, this really helps!
Fisher99

I must not be fully understanding the (potential) issue. The first solution, as has already been mentioned, is to simply move the car to let the passengers in. However, even without moving the car, if there is enough room to open the front passenger door to allow ingress to the front seat, then there is no reason that I can see why a rear seat passenger couldn't enter too.

1. Rear seat passenger opens front door, moves into the open space created by the open door, and then opens the back door and enters the back seat. If there is another rear seat passenger, simply close the rear door and repeat the process with the 2nd passenger.

2. Front seat passenger can then enter the car.

What am I missing?
2014 BMW i3 with Range Extender Engine, Capparis White/Frozen Black, 20" wheels,, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, TurboCord EVSE
appie

You're not missing anything except that for the fact that it is a total nuisance having to do this frequently. Mind you: we're not in the US here but in Holland. Backing up into the street immediately blocks traffic as our streets are often quite narrow, and parking spots are much tighter than in the US so it will be a more frequent problem.

Granted: if you can get into the front seat, you can also get into the back seat. However, doing this little "dance" often gets old very quickly, especially with two rear passengers having to do the same dance successively.

For illustration, here's a picture that shows how tight our parking spaces typically are, with two US cars in them for your reference. I can imagine it being less of a problem in the US with spaces sized to accomodate F150's and the likes...?

Fisher99

You sound like a perfect candidate for a Tesla Model X with falcon wing doors... :D
2014 BMW i3 with Range Extender Engine, Capparis White/Frozen Black, 20" wheels,, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, TurboCord EVSE
appie

Nah... I don't like full touchscreen dashboards...

Return to “General / Main i3 Owners Forum”