airman2482

Re: I had a 3G to 4G TCU upgrade to prove a point.

My BMW has original factory warranty until the end of Feb 2022.

The remote services started “acting up”, I reported it to the dealer and they replaced the 3G telematics unit with a 4G unit.

I don’t know what price the whole thing cost, when I picked up my car, the service invoice stated it was under warranty and the paperwork listed the same parts and labor as the OP, except there was no price.

BMW was obligated to keep the car working as stated under the original factory warranty and I guess I’m probably “lucky” I brought up the spotty remote service.

There’s the whole story!
airman2482

Is it possible to hook up the new 4G telematics module to an NBT EVO ID6 unit?

Is there a cable for this?

(I know a WiFi antenna is needed, a transformer to adapt voltage for video screen and I believe an ethernet cable for GPS)
3pete

airman2482 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:03 pm My BMW has original factory warranty until the end of Feb 2022.

The remote services started “acting up”, I reported it to the dealer and they replaced the 3G telematics unit with a 4G unit.

I don’t know what price the whole thing cost, when I picked up my car, the service invoice stated it was under warranty and the paperwork listed the same parts and labor as the OP, except there was no price.

BMW was obligated to keep the car working as stated under the original factory warranty and I guess I’m probably “lucky” I brought up the spotty remote service.

There’s the whole story!
Thanks for confirming. It makes sense they would do this under those warranty circumstances. But it's also more proof that BMW is lying when they say the upgrade is not possible which is unfortunate.

Sorry, I don't know anything about the NBT EVO ID6. Not sure if you'd get any bites if you put together a dedicated thread for your question but someone would have to dive pretty far down this one to see it here.
airman2482

I confirmed the ICC and IMEI is 4G of the new unit and the part number.

I should start a new thread on this because it would be nice to run an NBT EVO ID6 box rather than the RoadTop box I put in.

Yup, I confirmed it. I hope what I posted helped.
tezarc

OP here catching up on the discussions in this thread as February 1 looms. I must admit I'm more on the i3 Reddit than here.

I have been trying to renew ConnectedDrive services ahead of time but looks like the active "complimentary" package that will expire end of January seems to lock out any attempt at renewing. I did make sure the 4G TCU's IMEI is the one they have registered in their system. What else is there to do until we've gone off the cliff of February 1st?

I have been considering getting that ID6 upgrade but going to hold off until this mess is sorted out. Right now the head unit is below the 3rd party battery upgrade replacement AgentiMi is working on of the things I want for my i3.
2014 BMW i3 BEV Giga world Laurel Grey
appie

I am not sure this has been posted before, so: sorry if it has, but: does the 3G module support 2G as well by any chance? In my county, 3G will be discontinued soon too, but 2G will still be available because a lot of utility-style hardware still relies on it (alarm systems, smart gas&electric meters in peoples homes - so the power company can remotely read out their usage for billing, that kind of stuff). So if the 3G module supports 2G as well, then the connected services might still work (albeit a bit slower, but I don think they will suffer from a lower bandwidth that much because it is not a lot of data?).
eNate

2G has been phased out in the US, but it sounds like the second issue here is it wouldn't matter, because BMW won't renew the service —just like what tezart is experiencing — so even if there was back-channel connectivity, there'll be no server to connect to.
2 0 2 1   B M W   i 3   1 2 0 A h   B E V  O a k l a n d
 Wokeby Trunk Extension | Duosida 16A L1 EVSE
 SeaSucker Monkey Bar Roof Rack
tezarc

On February 1st, I logged into ConnectedDrive portal.
Complimentary package marked as "Expired". No items to renew.
Sent climatize command to car via app. Car starts climatizing.
Sent departure time update to car via app. Car updates departure time.
Sent destination message to car via app. Car received a minute later.

Off the cliff of February 1st, today I logged into ConnectedDrive portal:
Complimentary package now gone. No items to renew.
Remote commands tried in previous update still working.
From within the vehicle, trying to access BMW Online begins the connection process but returns "The BMW ConnectedDrive Store is no longer available in this vehicle."
Real Time Traffic no longer shows in navigation, contrary to rumors that it might work over the air instead of cellular.

So it is looking like for affected owners BMW separated eDrive services from the ConnectedDrive package and my subscription lasts until 10 years after vehicle purchase. I will be able to use remote services for 2-3 more years, but lost Real Time Traffic unless I keep trying to get the ConnectedDrive store re-enabled.
2014 BMW i3 BEV Giga world Laurel Grey
EvanstonI3

From within the vehicle, trying to access BMW Online begins the connection process but returns "The BMW ConnectedDrive Store is no longer available in this vehicle."
My 2017 has always shown that since Original Services expired and I renewed last June 2021.
I'll check again tomorrow but I'm pretty sure that was changed awhile back.
2 0 1 7 94Ah B E V
ronbot

tezarc wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:12 pm ...

So it is looking like for affected owners BMW separated eDrive services from the ConnectedDrive package and my subscription lasts until 10 years after vehicle purchase. I will be able to use remote services for 2-3 more years, but lost Real Time Traffic unless I keep trying to get the ConnectedDrive store re-enabled.

Just the followup I came looking for. My local BMW dealer said to wait until we had some evidence before exploring deeper. The shop foreman here was asking for a contact so that he could call for details.

Was it you that said your dealer was: BMW Northwest, Tacoma WA., supervisor Jeffery Stanford, shop foreman Antonio Avina ?

Personally I wonder if a 'used' module (same p/n you used) can be reprogrammed/re-used if they work their ISTA magic on it.

ALSO... do app functions like "Vehicle Finder" still work?

My system was working at 10pm last night, but not today. I have Connected service contract through 2026.
2015 i3 BEV Tera

Return to “General / Main i3 Owners Forum”