Possible to downgrade 10" screen to 6"?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richtrav

Hello all, I just purchased a 2017 i3 that has the smaller 6" screen and am coming from a 2014 that had the larger screen. I wanted to keep the bigger screen so I tried swapping them; it was easy to upgrade the smaller screen to the larger using bimmercode. However the reverse swap is proving difficult, I can't get an image even when I change the display type and size in bimmercode. Is there something I'm missing? Thanks

Well an update, I decided to go ahead and just order a second 10" screen from China. Funny thing though, when I put the 10" screen back on the 2014 model (the donor) the startup image popped up even before I had a chance to recode it, even though it was still coded for the smaller screen (which it never recognized). The only difference was that the split screen feature was missing. After recoding back to the large screen and resolution in bimmercode the split screen feature came back. Go figure.

Just for clarity, in case someone else comes along.
You have to code the screen size AND the screen type. I suspect you only had the screen size changed.

Did you ever figure out if it is possible to downgrade the screen on the other vehicle, I'm doing the exact same thing right now and it's not working for the smaller screen. I have a feeling that if a vehicle is stock with the larger screen you can't swap it to the smaller screen no matter what the coding is?

Back