BLINGMW

Re: Stop locking the doors!

eNate wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:08 pm ...pulling up at my in-the-mountain secret underwater nuclear submarine base...
Well we might have *slightly* different day to day routines! :lol:
For me it's a daily annoyance, the only thing that has me regularly cursing the car 2-4 times per day. Today for example:
Drop off and pick up kid at elementary school, a teacher's there to open the door, so instead of looking out for kids to not run over, I'm getting a hand ready for that unlock button.
Then I go to a client's house, get out, walk around to other side to get something out of the passenger side, it's locked.
Then I'm home, go out to get something out of the car, it's locked. :x
frictioncircle

eNate wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:08 pm I kind of get it -- I submit to a vehicle search where I park at work. If I'm the first car pulling up at my in-the-mountain secret underwater nuclear submarine base, as I'm pulling up I press Unlock, and let the guard do their thing.

Ah, so you're an Idaho Man then! ;)
https://www.navsea.navy.mil/Home/Warfar ... iew-Idaho/
frictioncircle

eNate wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:08 pm I have to say this topic perplexes me.

I give that we all have our own proclivities, so I'm not asking for justification, I'm accepting that this is a real annoyance...

...but may I ask why?

Of course you may ask!

I was able to code my 2014 BEV so I could control my car's auto-locking behavior. Move ahead seven years and my 2021 BEV i3s is the first car I've ever owned that forces auto-locking, despite my attempts to code around it.

My biggest complaint is that, having stopped the car and opened the driver's door, along with setting the parking brake, the passenger door and cargo hatch remain locked. So many times I've walked around to the passenger door or cargo hatch (pulling on the door handle or release button) only to realize that, ah yes, the rest of the car has remained locked.

A trip back to the driver's door for a press of the Doors Unlock button solves the situation, but this is very unfriendly to the user.
websterize

frictioncircle wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:10 am My biggest complaint is that, having stopped the car and opened the driver's door, along with setting the parking brake, the passenger door and cargo hatch remain locked. So many times I've walked around to the passenger door or cargo hatch (pulling on the door handle or release button) only to realize that, ah yes, the rest of the car has remained locked.
But doesn't checking the "Unlock at end of trip" box solve this UX issue?

In my 2018 (above), after unchecking "Lock automatically", the doors still auto-lock once the car reaches 3 mph. So I re-checked it, surrendering this battle.

EDIT: I misidentified the "Lock automatically" option above. The description to the right on the iDrive screen: "Doors lock automatically after a brief time if no doors are opened." So if I unlock the car with the keyfob, then realize I forgot something in the store and don't open any of the doors, the car will re-lock the door(s) after a few minutes. This has nothing to do with auto-locking the doors while under way. Fairly sure BMW has offered "lock automatically" across the fleet for decades.
2018 i3 Sport BEV | Coding spreadsheet
eNate

I guess I'm not following exactly because the way mine works (I have "unlock at end of drive" checked)...

If I shut down normally, the car shifts to Park by itself and all doors unlock instantly.

If I "leave the car running" and get out, manually unlocking the drivers door, the pax door & liftgate remain locked, but since the key is in my pocket, the liftgate unlocks instantly, and the passenger door handle requires a momentary touch before unlocking.

If I purposefully leave the key in the car, then I get the scenario you're describing.
2 0 2 1   B M W   i 3   1 2 0 A h   B E V  O a k l a n d
 Wokeby Trunk Extension | Duosida 16A L1 EVSE
 SeaSucker Monkey Bar Roof Rack
frictioncircle

websterize wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:40 am EDIT: I misidentified the "Lock automatically" option above. The description to the right on the iDrive screen: "Doors lock automatically after a brief time if no doors are opened." So if I unlock the car with the keyfob, then realize I forgot something in the store and don't open any of the doors, the car will re-lock the door(s) after a few minutes. This has nothing to do with auto-locking the doors while under way. Fairly sure BMW has offered "lock automatically" across the fleet for decades.

Agreed, "Lock Automatically" has been in BMWs for ages. I think they could have worded that description better, though – the first time I saw it I thought it it was the solution to my problem, quickly realized it wasn't, and then had to re-read it a few more times to figure out a use case for it.

I think your scenario makes it very clear!
frictioncircle

eNate wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:32 pm If I purposefully leave the key in the car, then I get the scenario you're describing.

My key is always in the center console (until I leave the car and lock it) so Comfort Access can't do its thing for my hatch or passenger door locks. :-(

Return to “Technical BMW i3 Discussions”